So I thought I'd make some mats...

All things body, interior, paint, windows, tops... you know.
spandit

So I thought I'd make some mats...

Post by spandit »

My neighbour had some Exmoor Trim mats in his Land Rover Defender, which consist of a rubber mat bonded to a closed-cell foam backing. They're supposed to cut out a lot of noise and my Pinz has no shortage of that.

Found this stuff online:

http://www.matsdirect.co.uk/mats-profil ... 20&%20roll

thought it sounded suitable so e-mailed them for a quote.

£109 a square metre!!!! That's $168!!! Hope the sample they're sending me is about 4 square metres... :D
--

Robin

Pinzgauer 710K
MegaJolt ignition
(upgrading to MicroSquirt)
cronapress
Great Britain

Post by cronapress »

I put a length of conveyor belt in the back of mine. Got it free (take as much as you want mate !!) from a nearby quarry. The standard belt is about 3" too wide for the bed of the Pinz and I had to trim it. Only drawback is it's a right sod to cut. Ended up with an angle grinder with thin cutting disc in. Effective but reeeeel smokey !

Quietens things down a bit and adds a bit of insulation when sleeping in the back.

Mike 712M
spandit

Post by spandit »

I was thinking about the front footwells. Might look at getting some rubber crumb horse matting as water can drain through it. Conveyor belt sounds good but I'd be concerned about getting water trapped underneath it
--

Robin

Pinzgauer 710K
MegaJolt ignition
(upgrading to MicroSquirt)
cronapress
Great Britain

Post by cronapress »

Good point about water getting trapped underneath. Both sides of mine are roller shutter doors. NOT proof against non-vertical type rain! Rain can accumulate twixt belt and ribbed metal floor. All I do is park on a stupidly steep bank for a while and watch it drip out from the bottom of the the rear shutter door.

There are also holes drilled in the floor to aid drainage from when the previous owner had a slide-out stainless tray installed. (What ??) He retrieved bodies from deep water and gave them their last ride in a Pinz to the local mortuary!

When folk ask me "What is that?" I tell them (truthfully) it was a 6x6 off-road hearse. The black gloss paint confirms the above !!

Mike 712M
krick3tt

so I thought I'd make some mats

Post by krick3tt »

I bought some of the closed cell mat (grey) material at Costco that is 1/2 inch thick and fits together with odd shaped fingers. Like shop mat. Then I put a 100 year old Afghan rug over it to look good. Really takes a lot of abuse and it quiets down the pinz.
Of course the pinz leaks but for some strange reason only on the right side so the water goes under the closed cell mat and when it rains I have to wipe it out, but WTH it looks good and works for me. The carpet does smell funny when it's wet...wool is like that.

Good luck with your solutions.
Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him:
better take a closer look at the American Indian.---Henry Ford