Weird steering slippage.

All things body, interior, paint, windows, tops... you know.
Twin Pinzies

Weird steering slippage.

Post by Twin Pinzies »

Today I noticed that the steering felt "weird." Since I had just lowered the pressure in the tires yesterday, I thought that the softer tires were the cause for the odd feeling. After a half day of driving the symptoms became more noticeable. The pitman arm/shaft is tight and the tie-rod ends/ linkages are secure. It feels like when I turn the wheel, the tires turn then the wheel slips a bit before re-engaging the tires. The truck has good alignment and does not pull to one side on the highway either.
Through process of elimination, I am convinced that the problem is in the gearbox... and related to the worm gear somehow.
I have already done a complete steering gearbox rebuild on another truck, but would rather not have to go with the (overkill) complete kit.
Any thoughts?
Picasso

hmm

Post by Picasso »

steering stabilizer? I fear having to buy the rebuild kit also....
2X 712AMB Oakland, CA
M Wehrman
United States of America

Post by M Wehrman »

Lift up the drivers floor plate and make sure the support bracket from the gear to the floor is tight. It can have similar "feel".
Mark
Stock means no imagination!

Volvo TGB1317, .95% Morphed!

68 Haffy
Twin Pinzies

Post by Twin Pinzies »

M Wehrman wrote:Lift up the drivers floor plate and make sure the support bracket from the gear to the floor is tight. It can have similar "feel".
Mark
Yeah, that was the first thing that I checked. Everything under the floor was tight and the fluid is full.
It seems odd that this happened all of a sudden... Doesn't seem possible. Gears/bearings/bushings tend to give you plenty of warning.
WTF?
undysworld
Norway

Post by undysworld »

I'll assume you checked the operation of the steering stabilizer, as previously noted. When they get some play in them, they can feel weird giving different resistance as you turn it (at least that's how I'd describe it).

I thought the loose box was a great idea, but apparently isn't your problem.

The next thing that this reminds me of was when the "king pin", or whatever Pinz calls it (the parts which allow the front wheels to make turns), goes loose in the front wheel drives. My truck had been running fine, steering straight and all, but as I pulled off the highway and the pavement surface dropped a bit, I noticed it suddenly pull to the side. Everything else checked OK. When I raised the front wheels and tried to move the wheel in & out at the top/bottom, it moved a bit.

The other thing I can come up with is if the wheel drives aren't properly locked down on the stub axles and were slightly rotating. But this seems pretty far fetched to think you'd be moving this by moving the steering...

Frankly, I'm running out of ideas.
Twin Pinzies

Post by Twin Pinzies »

Thanks for the replies guys. I will take my time today going through everything (top to bottom) today. The steering stabilizer is attached correctly but it might be blown(?) I wanted to replace the stock stabilizer anyway. I DO NOT look forward to another gearbox rebuild though!
Here's a new clue.... It only notches/slips when turned to the LEFT.
M Wehrman
United States of America

Post by M Wehrman »

I'll be curious what you find.. One of our club members' trucks makes nice real sharp rt turns,but turning Lt is about as sharp as my F-250! Maybe you are in some sort of "early"stage?
Stock means no imagination!

Volvo TGB1317, .95% Morphed!

68 Haffy
Twin Pinzies

Post by Twin Pinzies »

Turns out that when had an assistant turn the wheel while I crawled under the front end, my mystery is solved.
The main drag pivot (the linkage in the center that both tie rods are attach to) is jumping up a bit (and clunking) as it pivots smoothly from side to side.
Apparently, there is a bearing and seals in this housing. In the parts diagram, it shows the two arched arms that attach to the top and bottom of the unit have a bolt that tightens from the bottom but I see only a smooth surface when I look and feel around in through the access hole.
I bet that I'm in for at least a bearing and a seal.

I think that this the one of the last areas of the Pinzgauer that I haven't had to deal with yet.... but I said that last time!
undysworld
Norway

Post by undysworld »

Hey Twin,

Maybe I can help you. Mine did just that a few years back. It ended up needing shims to tighten it back up again.

I remember going all over Madison, looking in the junk boxes of all the old mechanics for shims to fit. They all offered any shims I found for free, but nothing I found fit. I got shims from some supplier in Chicago, but they were only available as a dozen or so.

So, if you need shims, please let me know, as I can likely find them somewhere in my parts boxes.

The repair job wasn't too bad, but you do have to remove the front nose from the differential.

Paul
Twin Pinzies

Post by Twin Pinzies »

PM sent.
undysworld
Norway

Post by undysworld »

Twin,

I'm not sure if you sent me the pm or someone else. I didn't get any pm on this.

Paul
undy@mhtc.net
Twin Pinzies

Post by Twin Pinzies »

PM sent again. I think that it worked this time.
undysworld
Norway

Post by undysworld »

Herb,

Trying to get in touch with you about this. The shims I mailed were returned as insufficient address, unable to forward.

Please let me know where to send them, and I'll re-mail them.

Paul