Dust Control inside

All things body, interior, paint, windows, tops... you know.
Fleg

Dust Control inside

Post by Fleg »

While out camping in the 710M this weekend we noticed a lot of dust entering the back of the truck while driving down dirt roads. We were alone so the air was clear infront of us. The only thing I can think of is that dust was circulating behind the Pinz and entering the gap that is between the tailgate and soft top. Anyone else have this problem and how did you fix it?
Fleg

Post by Fleg »

Rolling the back up really isn't an option.
McCall Pinz
Switzerland

Post by McCall Pinz »

Yep it definitely sucks in through the gap at the door and covers the rear area. I don't know anything about these guys, but knuckledown production website has a metal angle that fits and closes that gap.
Fleg

Post by Fleg »

McCall Pinz wrote:Yep it definitely sucks in through the gap at the door and covers the rear area. I don't know anything about these guys, but knuckledown production website has a metal angle that fits and closes that gap.
Just stumbled across that as well. Anyone ever used one and did it cut down on the dust?

krick3tt

dust in the cab

Post by krick3tt »

Saw this advertised several years ago but mostly for keeping out the water, seriously doubt it would do much for dust. Putting down the blackout curtain helps a bit to keep it out of the cab. Nothing is going to keep dust out of a soft top pinz. Go slower.
Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him:
better take a closer look at the American Indian.---Henry Ford
Fleg

Re: dust in the cab

Post by Fleg »

krick3tt wrote:Saw this advertised several years ago but mostly for keeping out the water, seriously doubt it would do much for dust. Putting down the blackout curtain helps a bit to keep it out of the cab. Nothing is going to keep dust out of a soft top pinz. Go slower.
How fast was I going?
krick3tt

dust in the cab

Post by krick3tt »

Really hard to tell...you were in a pinz, right?
Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him:
Fleg

Re: dust in the cab

Post by Fleg »

krick3tt wrote:Really hard to tell...you were in a pinz, right?
Yeah, slow and steady!!

I have my reserves about ordering that plate from knuckle down. I just don't think it's going to make a very good dust blocker. I'm going to try some ideas and see if I can cut back on the dust getting into the back.
krick3tt

dust in the cab

Post by krick3tt »

I think the KD angle product is OK in its idea.
The issue I saw with installing an angle at the back door is that the canvas has to be lifted to either open or close the door. I placed a piece of angle that I had lying around to see how it would work and I decided against it.
The idea was to install it when I lived in WA and there was so much rain, and I noticed the pressure draws the water in at the back. It also draws the water in at the doors in the cab. I purchased the deeper window sills from SAV, they don't do much either.
Scooter

Post by Scooter »

I used a peice of black angled plastic from home Depot for the front edge on a wood step like the one shown in Fleg's picure. It works great at keeping the rear curtain in place, flexable so I can lift the rear curtain over it when needed, but yet keeps the rain from running in. Best part is was cheap so if it breaks no big deal.

Scooter
Erik712m

Re: Dust Control inside

Post by Erik712m »

Fleg wrote: Anyone else have this problem and how did you fix it?

Yes we all have that problem Hard top. Fixed it! When it was a softtop I put a one inch thick piece of weather striping on th bottom of the softtop. It help a little bit some dust still came in.
Kirby

Re: Dust Control inside

Post by Kirby »

Fleg wrote: we noticed a lot of dust entering the back of the truck while driving down dirt roads.
Wow, no one else thought of this before me ? easy solution.. don't go on dirt roads :lol:
but where is the fun in that... I tried many things with my 712, and could never stop the dust, but I like the "tonneau cover in the back bungee corded to the sides." idea, or an extreme would be to put velcro on the edges, but I thnk that would look yucky :?
Pinzing is AWESOME.
norcal pinz
United States of America

Post by norcal pinz »

duct tape !!!! it
710M 1972
710k 1974
Kaweeka

Would something like this work?

Post by Kaweeka »

Dust Deflectors
Alloy Deflector
http://www.roofrack.com.au/viewproduct. ... 1&subcat=7

Though guess that how much air "flows" over the top of a Pinz is debatable . . . :wink:
Stuck in the bureaucratic spin cycle!