Anyone paint their heat exchanger?

All things body, interior, paint, windows, tops... you know.
michaelh712

Anyone paint their heat exchanger?

Post by michaelh712 »

Replacing my terminal hear exchanger with another used one. Old one rusted through and through. I tried to keep the old one alive by applying heat paint, but was not successful. Tried 1200 degree manifold paint, POR heat paint and others, and was careful about prep before applying paint. Winter salt worked itself under the paint and the resulting rust was worse.
Anyone have success with painting their heat exchanger and if so, what have you used?
Thanks
Michael
Michaelh712
michaelh@updc.org
Educational Anarchist
Profpinz
Australia

Post by Profpinz »

In an old post I outlined how I had split the heat exchanger cover/casing so I can easily "clean" inside, when the unit is removed from the vehicle.

When I was modifying the casing I had the parts powder coated (in a satin black) which seems to have withstood both time and corrosion well!
Peter

1974, 712 6X6 Pinzgauer
1983, 710-1.6 4X4 Pinzgauer
1997, 718 6X6 Pinzgauer (in pieces)
1971, 700 Haflinger
1974, 703 LWB Haflinger
2001, Range Rover

http://www.ozpinz.com
cronapress
Great Britain

Post by cronapress »

I cleaned and painted my heat exchanger about 18 months ago. It was just surface rust with the original (?) paint coming off. I applied some stuff that is used to paint the chimneys of wood burning stoves etc.

There must be a US equivalent of stuff like this. For the record, the product is "Calfire Stove Bright High Temperature Paint". Says it's heat resistant to 650 degrees C. "For stoves, fireplaces, barbecues, cookers, artificial logs and coals"

It's a very thin, black paint. You have to constantly stir it to keep the goodies in suspension. I gave the exchanger a severe worrying with a wire brush beforehand, then two coats of this stuff. Seems to work OK.

Your local stove dealer may assist. Hope this is of help.

Mike 712M
GenevaPinz
Switzerland

Post by GenevaPinz »

I had the heat exchanger painted with black high-temperature paint (exhaust paint) when the exhaust was last taken off for body work.
Seems to work OK since then. The paint smells a bit the first times you run your truck, but nothing worse to report...

I don't know for how long this will help keeping rust at bay... but it does look better than before :lol:
Jan

'72 Pinzgauer 710M
Heed

Post by Heed »

What about some of the high-heat ceramic coatings?

This place can do it for headers;

http://www.performancecoatings.com/index2.html
Bob
1990 - Mercedes G-Wagon 250GD

A goal without a plan is just a wish!