Transmission Access Hatch Screw Spacing

All things body, interior, paint, windows, tops... you know.
totaljoint

Transmission Access Hatch Screw Spacing

Post by totaljoint »

When I got my 712, the bed had a Line-x coating on it. Great stuff, but can only find one screw on my transmission access hatch, the coating is thick enough to hide the rest of them.

I want to be able to remove the hatch, and cutting the line-x with a knife is possible on the outline of the hatch, but finding the screws is a job.

Can anyone tell me the spacing of the screws (I assume they have a uniform spacing on the floor and wall portions). If I know how far apart, and how far from the edge of the hatch, I can dig for them a little more intelligently!

Thanks!!
Ed
krick3tt

access hatch screw spacing

Post by krick3tt »

ED,
Not sure but try looking from the bottom up. You have to be able to see something from underneath to get a general idea.
Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him:
better take a closer look at the American Indian.---Henry Ford
cronapress
Great Britain

Post by cronapress »

On my 712M the 2 hatches are located as follows:-

Measuring from the bed lip above the pintle, the centre of the rearmost hatch is 29 inches from the lip.

The "amidships" hatch is 67 1/2 inches from the lip.

Both hatches are the same dimensions with same hole spacings. I measure these at 4 7/8 inches centre to centre vertically and horizontally spaced. (It's a square format)

ie. find the centre of one c/s screw and scribe a 4 7/8" arc and you should find its neighbour, then move on from that.

Forgot to mention, both hatches are dead on the centre line of the bed. Fairly obvious but ........

Someone may chime in with this new-fangled metric measurement equivalent.

Mike
totaljoint

Post by totaljoint »

Thanks Guys!
I know where the outline of the hatches is, just can only see one of the screws. I cut out the gas tank hatch, that took a little while. Line-x is not made to be cut, and heat guns just loosen it from the underlying metal. I'll find them one way or the other!
Ed