Fuel Tank: Repair or Replace?

All things body, interior, paint, windows, tops... you know.
jrcotner
United States of America

Fuel Tank: Repair or Replace?

Post by jrcotner »

The red coating is beginning to come off of the fuel tank on my 1971 710M. I've looked at the various posts regarding tank repair, and it seems the costs run around $700. I've also found some old fuel tanks for much less, but am concerned that their liners may need replacement, too. My local 4x4 place says they may be able to cut open the old tank, bead blast it, re-seal, prime and paint for about $700 to $800. However, they advised me that they could build a replacement stainless tank for about the same amount of money. It will look similar to, but not exactly like, the old tank. I looked at a tank they built for a FJ-40, and it looked good.

So what is the verdict on these tanks? Does anyone out there make a good replacement tank in stainless? Should I go ahead and remove, clean, and re-seal the old one? Should I have my local guys make a stainless tank? If I go with my local guys, does anyone know where to get the precise tank dimensions and specifications to fabricate a new tank?

Thanks,
Thanks,
John Cotner
1946 Willys CJ-2a
Elizabethton, TN
Andre
United States of America

Post by Andre »

I have manufactured several Stainless steel fuel tanks. All with internal baffling, made to order, and ready to bolt in. If you have any questions, feel free to pm me.
Fat Fabrications
2993 FM 1647
Winnsboro, TX. 75494
fatfabrications@yahoo.com
(903) 365-2332 shop
(951) 765-7224 mobile
Facebook.com/dokapinz6x6
Www.fatfabrications.com
totaljoint

Post by totaljoint »

I have one of Andre's tanks, would reccomend them.
Looks and fits like original. No adjustment needed for the fuel gauge (same depth).
It's stainless steel and no interior coating to worry about. Will most likely outlast the rest of the Pinz.
Best of all, it's 35 gallons. The increased size eliminates getting out and pouring gas from the (always dirty) jerrycan.

In last weekend's trip, the engine and Webasto (full blast) were running from 10:00AM to 4:00PM without stop (blizzard in the back country, didn't want to take the chance that it wouldn't restart with old batteries in the cold), 60 miles of moutain highway, and 10-15 miles crawling in snow (elevation 240-4200ft) and idling while we played. Used less than 1/4 tank the whole day.
jrcotner
United States of America

Post by jrcotner »

Do you still make the tanks, and how much would one cost? Can they be painted? Would I have to remove the spare jerry can holder to accommodate the new SS tank?

Thanks,
Thanks,
John Cotner
1946 Willys CJ-2a
Elizabethton, TN
ScottishPinz
Great Britain

Post by ScottishPinz »

I take it this much bigger tank wouldn't fit on a 710K