camo vehicle wrap

All things body, interior, paint, windows, tops... you know.
totaljoint

camo vehicle wrap

Post by totaljoint »

Rather than repainting the 712, my local body shop reccomended a camo vehicle wrap.

Pros: MUCH cheaper, some degree of scratch/sun protection, can be removed if I don't like it. Since the Pinz has pretty much all flat (2D) surfaces, should be easy to apply?

Cons: ?

Does anyone have experience using/applying this stuff?

Thanks,
Ed
westernair
United States of America

Post by westernair »

It is a easy thing to do on a small scale, but putting large sheets on even on flat 2D surface should probably be done by the shop that makes it for you.
So the current color is not working for you? It doesn't look bad to me that color
Shawn

62 haffy Bantam
61 haffy 4 door

72 710K - Sold
73 712M - Sold
Jorgo

Vehicle wrapping

Post by Jorgo »

I've played around with these products and believe me you want a professional installation. I have a retail marketing company. I hire installers even for simple window / storefront graphics. Our latest project was a flat black print for a motorhome then after the installation of the flat black vinyl, they applied print-cut clear gloss graphics and logos over top. It is amazing how close it looks to a real paint job. Think of a 4' wide sticker thats as long as you want it. Imagine how hard it is to just apply it straight without bubbles, then imagine door handle wells, the area around the gas filler hole, the uneven surfaces, where just one section needs to dip or bend s or cover something. They know how to heat up the vinyl to get it to shrink up around things, and in most instances we order the vinyl printed AND laminated as it makes the large adhesive less likely to stretch out of shape if you need to pull it back up while installing. The installers are worth every penny. Also, 3M has a few different levels of adhesive ranging from low tack, for short periods of time, guaranteed not to damage painted surfaces, up thee line to pretty much permanent very aggressive adhesive. Think of the possibilities if you had a good grhic designer, you could make your pinz into a woody. Saw somewhere on line a couplel pinzes and a unimog wrapped for a dos equis beer promotion. They were yellow and looked like they had just gone through some serious mud, which was all over the trucks, but it was just the graphic design. BTW- had my 712 quoted for paint and powder coating recently at 5700.00. You could wrap a. Pinz 4 or 5 times for that money. Usually about 4 bucks per square foot, plus anywhere from 1 to 2 bucks per square for installation. Come to think of it, there isn't. Lot of square footage on the outside. I,d take the h oohs off, then get it wrapped and re install over them.. Sorry for the novel.
spandit

Post by spandit »

I painted mine with a brush and roller. Including paint and materials, I've spent £30 so far and enough left to do the interior and trailer if we ever get dry weather again...
--

Robin

Pinzgauer 710K
MegaJolt ignition
(upgrading to MicroSquirt)
totaljoint

Post by totaljoint »

The color if fine with the current stock top (really in great condition), however I have a Tuff River insulated top.

It is the Sunbrella in a stone/tan color (like most of the others Tuff river tops on these forums) that has been sitting in its box for a year waiting to be put on. color match for that top is terrible (the stone top is great but not with the sand yellow Pinz and visa versa).
I either have to re-color the pinz, or sell the top.
Ed
Last edited by totaljoint on Thu Jan 13, 2011 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
krick3tt

vehicle wrap

Post by krick3tt »

Here's mine for XX.

http://s400.photobucket.com/albums/pp88 ... MG3096.jpg

Have it done. Pro's know.
Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him:
better take a closer look at the American Indian.---Henry Ford
GenevaPinz
Switzerland

Post by GenevaPinz »

I had asked for a quote once locally, just to have an idea, but not for the Pinz and for a single color: turned out it was not that cheap to have it done professionally...

So I am wondering if your mention of the wrap being "MUCH cheaper" comes from the comparison of camo wrap (same work regardless of color/design) vs. camo paint (i.e. much more work than a one-color paint) ?
Jan

'72 Pinzgauer 710M
totaljoint

Post by totaljoint »

Cost analysis:

Camo wrap, 5mil: $75.00 for a 4x5 sheet (will probably need 3). Professional installation costs (estimate for full sized SUV/van, they haven't seen the Pinz yet): $1000. (no compound curves, should be cheaper).
And why couldn't I do this myself? I've watched the Youtube videos, On a flat surface, shouldn't be too hard, and if I screw it up (highly likely), pull it off and try again. OK, 4 sheets.

Paint job estimates (not including removing rack, fittings etc...):
$1800-$2000 (Maaco, paint only), $3000-4000 at two other private body shops (includes sanding of existing paint surface for adhesion, addressing minor pitting rust under the windshied and door/door top junction).

Me shaking multiple cans of SAV Pinz touch up paint, having enough beers to have a go at it when the wife is gone...priceless!

Leaving the pinz as is (it's not bad in the current scheme), selling the brand new tuff river top which has never been out of the box...? Hmmm. Where would we be without E-bay.

Or: local custom aluminum boat shops (tons up here in WA and OR) are hurting for business. Has anyone priced building a custom aluminum tub?
After all, it's bascially just a frame and panels. How much could that cost?. :lol:
krick3tt

Post by krick3tt »

I love it, when in reference to a pinz you say 'How much could that cost'? Hahahaha
Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him:
Jorgo

Paint quote

Post by Jorgo »

On the Paint estimate, I had an estimate done on my 712 to strip it, address paint it inside and out, powdercoating everything from the bumpers, seat frames, cage, hoops on the top, seat frames, the whole works and it came in at 5800.00. I'm in so. cal, so i'm sure there's some some degree of sunshine tax in there as well.
Cheers,

Jorgo
krick3tt

camo vehicle wrap

Post by krick3tt »

Wow. You must love that pinz.

I paint mine periodically, its not a show vehicle, so I use rattle cans from WalMart in OD and I can paint the whole vehicle inside and out for $25.
Andre
United States of America

Post by Andre »

I have a guy that does it..
AVIWRAPS.com

He's been commissioned (By the Manufacturer) to train other "professionals" on the art of installing vehicle wraps.

I wouldn't have it done by any other man. I've seen him dissect other botched wrap jobs. A true Pro.

He also prints my Pinzgauer T's

look him up.
Fat Fabrications
2993 FM 1647
Winnsboro, TX. 75494
fatfabrications@yahoo.com
(903) 365-2332 shop
(951) 765-7224 mobile
Facebook.com/dokapinz6x6
Www.fatfabrications.com
Winter Beater

paint

Post by Winter Beater »

I bought a gallon of paint + hardener +primer @ NAPA and painted a 712 using a Home Depot HVLP gun ($55). Easy to get paint & fix trail rash in the future. Cost $450 and my time.
ExpeditionImports
United States of America

Re: camo vehicle wrap

Post by ExpeditionImports »

On the Dos Equis trucks the wrap and installation on each truck was in the range of $3000-3500. That was on 12 trucks, so the marketing company had some scale.

Do not let the flat panels fool you. According to our installers they would have much preferred working on a regular car/truck. Take a look at the sections where you have the body hooks, battery boxes, etc. Definitely not a simple install in those locations.

After seeing the process up close and personal, I will definitely be looking this direction for some future projects. If you are interested in pics during an install on a pinz I have a few posted on my blog here:

http://expeditionimports.blogspot.com/2 ... paign.html

Cheers,

Scott
Expedition Imports Corporation
Vallejo, California
www.expedition-imports.com
"You didn't buy a Chevy..." "Hows that Amazon tech support working out...."