2 Inch Hitch Ideas, Thoughts and questions.

All things body, interior, paint, windows, tops... you know.
swashplate

2 Inch Hitch Ideas, Thoughts and questions.

Post by swashplate »

I am looking for a 2inch hitch and so far it looks like that 2 or 3 different schools of though are out there.

1-Weld the square tube onto the mounting plate
2-Weld the square tube onto the mounting plate and add braces angles to it
3-Make a hole in the mounting plate, pass the square tube through it partially and weld both sides of the tube. I cant verify this version, but it looks different at an angle in the photos

#1 and #2 seem to make the hitch stick out further, is this correct and any issues?

#3 seems to be better mousetrap.

Any other folks other than EI https://static.zoovy.com/img/expedition ... ge0072.jpg and T-lo http://www.mogsrus.com/photos/receiverhitch1.jpg
selling these?
or
maybe have one made local to me?

Any thoughts or ideas??

Thanks
KT
Erik712m

Re: 2 Inch Hitch Ideas, Thoughts and questions.

Post by Erik712m »

Jimm391730
United States of America

Post by Jimm391730 »

3-Make a hole in the mounting plate, pass the square tube through it partially and weld both sides of the tube. I cant verify this version, but it looks different at an angle in the photos
When I made my receiver hitch, this is what I did. I got a suitable sized piece of 1" thick plate (! :roll: ) that I laboriously cut a square hole into for the receiver, then welded it inside and outside for good measure. With 1" of space between them I am sure that it will never rod sideways, but even with a 3/8" plate, welded on one side only, the left and right side welds are over 2-1/2" appart, so it will never go crooked, either. I would suspect that worst case the receiver tube will distort before any welds fail in any of the hitch designs I have seen produced.

Besides, any loads likely to create a problem are probably way too big/heavy to tow at road speeds safely. Skidding logs or other activities are another issue but would probably be better served with something other than a 2" receiver (like a plate with a fixed anchor ring).
Jim M.
712W and 710M
David Dunn
United States of America

Post by David Dunn »

The receivers at EI are made to be flush with the back of the truck without an insert in it ( no banged knees). The tube goes through the plate and welded on both sides.
The Trojan Horse... the 1st Pinz used to covertly carry troops into battle .

ATL Pinzgauer XM 718K TUM(HD) 6x6 FFR (aka The Green Grail)
swashplate

Post by swashplate »

David Dunn wrote:The receivers at EI are made to be flush with the back of the truck without an insert in it ( no banged knees). The tube goes through the plate and welded on both sides.
Well I sent and email to Scott on price and availability. Awaiting his response. Thank you for your quick reply !!
swashplate

Post by swashplate »

I looked at his, any idea which version his is?
Erik712m

Post by Erik712m »

It's flush Image
swashplate

Post by swashplate »

Erik712m wrote:It's flush
Thank you very much !! BTW VERY VERY nice rig you have there.
krick3tt

Post by krick3tt »

I used one of these until I got the full pintle hitch for my 1/4 ton trailer. It attaches to the four bolts in
the whitch's hat and will accept various size balls, also works for a lunette. No welding involved and
it tucks back far enough that I don't hit my shins.
It works well for a standard ball hitch and putting the top piece down adds a bit more insurance to the
hitch not coming off the ball.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/ ... 0788_20788
Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him:
better take a closer look at the American Indian.---Henry Ford
spandit

Post by spandit »

Wow! What a great product - as far as I know, you can't get those in the UK (certainly not for that price...)
--

Robin

Pinzgauer 710K
MegaJolt ignition
(upgrading to MicroSquirt)