Speedometer Problem

All things body, interior, paint, windows, tops... you know.
landy

Speedometer Problem

Post by landy »

The speedo needle appears to be stuck. When in motion it stays around 60. At stop, it might move down to 40. I disconnected the cable at the back of the weird 90 degree adapter thing, and turned the exposed piece on the adapter and got the needle back to 0. Now, the needle doesn't move at all when in motion. What's involved in taking apart the speedo? Are they costly to repair?

The speedon is very inaccurate, so I've considered replacing it with an electronic speedo. Anybody have experience with those?

Thanks.
totaljoint

Re: Speedometer Problem

Post by totaljoint »

I know others have had problems with the electronic. Have had mine for two years without trouble.
Nothing is more accurate for speed than a GPS!
edzz
United States of America

Post by edzz »

I like my electronic, easy to see and the read out is in MPH.
Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.
krick3tt

Post by krick3tt »

Ah yes, the speedo...Mine doesn't work either. Got an electronic on a few years ago and it quit after 2000 miles...just sitting on the shelf in the shop.
I got two other speedos to use for parts but haven't gotten them to work. Now I just use the GPS, although, it is not as if I can keep up with highway traffic.
Unless I am in the city, I just roll along.
Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him:
better take a closer look at the American Indian.---Henry Ford
pcolette
United States of America

Post by pcolette »

I have 2 of the VDO electronic and both have been working fine. One has about 4000 miles on it and the other is much newer. Relatively easy to install and program.
Paul C.
_________
'73 Swiss 710M
'89 Puch 230GE
undysworld
Norway

Post by undysworld »

Do a search further. There are a couple write-ups on speedo repairs. I've had to fix mine twice. Once a screw had let loose, allowing a gear to lose contact with another gear. The other time, a gear had gone loose on a shaft and it was spinning. Both were pretty easy fixes. Probably the hardest part was getting the case apart, IIRC.
ccalingaert

Post by ccalingaert »

I've been happy with the mechanical speedometer. I checked it against GPS and it's pretty accurate even though I am running larger tires than stock. I did have to fix the odometer shortly after I got the truck, and without a doubt the hardest part is getting it open.
Chris
'74 710K
krick3tt

Post by krick3tt »

Will the UniMog speedometer work in a pinz. SAV does not have any pinz speedos but they do have Mog speedos.
When I say work, are they the same except for the cable that connects them.
Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him:
better take a closer look at the American Indian.---Henry Ford
texas pinzgauer

Post by texas pinzgauer »

Does anyone have a vendor they like who fixes Pinzgauer speedos? My odometer doesn't work and I'd love to send it off to some shop somewhere that works on these things and can turn them around quickly.
Looking for next new (for me) toy
1974 712M - sold
1973 710M - sold

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id ... 3094951494
pcolette
United States of America

Post by pcolette »

Thilo Kass did one for me a few years back. I'm not sure if he still works on them but he did an excellent job on mine.
His phone is: (928) 443-8880
Paul C.
_________
'73 Swiss 710M
'89 Puch 230GE
edzz
United States of America

Post by edzz »

Pauls Speedometer Service
529 N Pacific Coast Hwy
Redondo Beach
(310) 374-3017
Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.
Stekay
United States of America

Post by Stekay »

A mechanical Speedo is very simple. It's basically a spring retracted flywheel type device like the advance in a distributor. You might only need a drop of instrument oil. If it'ds already broken you have nothing to lose and a chance to learn.
'76 710K
Stekay
United States of America

Post by Stekay »

A mechanical Speedo is very simple. It's basically a spring retracted flywheel type device like the advance in a distributor. You might only need a drop of instrument oil. If it'ds already broken you have nothing to lose and a chance to learn.
'76 710K
pinzinator

Post by pinzinator »

I've used North Hollywood Speedometer a few times. Expensive, but never had any problems with anything they ever fixed for me.
landy

Post by landy »

SAV has VDO programmable e-speedos listed for $100. Is this the model some of you have used? There was a VDO e-speedo for a Pinz listed on Ebay recently that sold for $231. Other than the scale and face color, I wonder what the differences are to justify the large price difference?

I haven't attempted to take mine apart yet. But since it's so inaccurate, the e-speedo may address that issue.

Thanks.