Rear straps

All things body, interior, paint, windows, tops... you know.
berger
Canada

Rear straps

Post by berger »

I was wondering if someone could point me in the right direction here. The rear canvas flap on my truck is missing one leather pull down strap on the outer D-side, like the pic below....and I think I am missing part of the other, which is right beside the spare. All I have is the rubber "figure eight" which hooks onto a hook bolted/welded to the hinge. Should this rubber cord also have a leather strap?

Ottawa, Canada
1974 710M
2007 2WD Ural Patrol
berger
Canada

Re: Rear straps

Post by berger »

You can see here what I mean. The left strap needs the leather with the little hook, but the one near the tire has the hook on the hinge, so what kind of leather pull tab do I need?

Ottawa, Canada
1974 710M
2007 2WD Ural Patrol
krick3tt

Post by krick3tt »

...$31.65 from SAV http://www.pinzgauer.com/showdetails.ph ... 111870482/

Actually your picture was too dark to really see clearly how yours is set up.

I would make my own from nylon strapping material and use pop rivets to secure it...but that is me. You may want the official item to keep
your pinz in show condition.

The hook is $3.17 http://www.pinzgauer.com/showdetails.ph ... 111870171/

I redid the bungie cord on my top from eBay and it came out great. Got the parts from Fastenall locally. All for less than $50.

Happy trails
Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him:
better take a closer look at the American Indian.---Henry Ford
CentAr712
United States of America

Post by CentAr712 »

Another option is what I did, I removed the ones from the bottom of my divider curtain and used them to replace the missing ones on the rear. I figured I don't really need them on the bottom of the curtain since I just keep it rolled up and never intend to run without the rear top. I was going to just buy new replacements until I saw the cost. When I have a ton of extra money in the Pinz fund, I'll eventually replace the ones I cannibalized from the divider. One thing that does make a difference in the installation in my opinion is to use heavy duty rivets like they sell at Fastenal and not the cheap, lightweight rivets like sold at Home Despot, etc.
Chris.
https://www.supanik.com/pinz
'76 712M Rapier Cargo (Swiss), For Sale
'83 MB W460 280GE G-Wagen, For Sale
4x4Pinz
United States of America

Post by 4x4Pinz »

we have used the nylon straps with decent success. Seems the newer tops did not use leather but reinforced rubberized canvas.

The divider that drops down at the screen is a great way to help the heater out in your truck. I found it also quiets the cab down some, whether the back top is up or down.
berger
Canada

Post by berger »

Thanks for the tips guys!
Ottawa, Canada
1974 710M
2007 2WD Ural Patrol