Rattle can touch-ups

All things body, interior, paint, windows, tops... you know.
djw
United States of America

Re: Rattle can touch-ups

Post by djw »

CentAr712 wrote:The Austrian color is RAL 7013. Maybe I'm wrong, I think perhaps it's not RAL 7013, but I am sure it's not RAL 6014, it's too brown looking.
I bought and tried a rattle can RAL 7013 from Orbit and it is a dead-on match for the Austrian military color. All they make is a gloss so it is fine for interior touch ups but as the exterior is no way glossy, the sheen is wrong.

The Brownell's Aluma-hyde OD Green is a nearly exact match for my RAL 7013 shade of fade but it is flatter. The Swiss pinz color is different.
'74 710K (ÖBH Austrian Rehab) mostly unmolested original - the unicorn (everything works!)
collecting pinz docs since 2012 - pm me if I can help
Roverchef
Germany

Post by Roverchef »

I use a satin finish...not semi-gloss on mine and it seems to hold up MUCH better compared to any flat out there! You almost need some type of finish to make the paint hold up to the elements. That is where the "rub-down" comes into play. I'm not a carshow type of guy. I just want the paint to hold up abit longer then the flat which is never that long. With every new rig...I pick a color that I can also get in a spray can so I can retouch areas that I've welded on or drilled a hole or for just touch-up purposes. I always have a color palette on the side of the rig for a few days just to see which one I like and holds up the best once it has been put in the elements. Good luck matching old paint even if it's the same exact color out of the container.
CentAr712
United States of America

Post by CentAr712 »

If you get your paint custom mixed, they can add chemical flatteners and make it whatever level of flat, satin or semi-gloss you want. I just happened to be at the local O'Reily's auto parts store the other day, they have a paint shop in there, so I asked them a few questions. According to them, they can mix just about whatever color you want in most types of paint. They said they can even mix a color by cross referencing a color code from another paint manufacturer, they use PPG. I think in a few weeks I'm going to give it a try and get a quart of RAL 6014 mixed up in an Alkyd enamel to paint all my camping gear. That will be a good experiment to see how it turns out before I commit to having paint mixed for the Pinz.
Chris.
https://www.supanik.com/pinz
'76 712M Rapier Cargo (Swiss), For Sale
'83 MB W460 280GE G-Wagen, For Sale
audiocontr
United States of America

Post by audiocontr »

It needs serious amounts of flattener t come close to faded green. The flattener was more pricey than the paint.
1973 712m
1968 Haflinger
1965 Pathfinder
1978 GMC Palm Beach (Hey, its got 6 wheels!!)