Instrument box

All things body, interior, paint, windows, tops... you know.
djw
United States of America

Instrument box

Post by djw »

For those that have worked on the instrument panel area -

How easy is it to pull the (fiberglass?) or plastic box that the instrument panel mounts to? Mine needs some work and I would like to do it removed from the truck if it is easy to unscrew the panel and just get the box part out/back in.

Thanks.
'74 710K (ÖBH Austrian Rehab) mostly unmolested original - the unicorn (everything works!)
collecting pinz docs since 2012 - pm me if I can help
Andre
United States of America

Re: Instrument box

Post by Andre »

most easily removed and replaced with the Steering wheel out. But not necessary to do the job.
Fat Fabrications
2993 FM 1647
Winnsboro, TX. 75494
fatfabrications@yahoo.com
(903) 365-2332 shop
(951) 765-7224 mobile
Facebook.com/dokapinz6x6
Www.fatfabrications.com
djw
United States of America

Post by djw »

Andre wrote:most easily removed and replaced with the Steering wheel out. But not necessary to do the job.
Pulling the steering wheel is not in my toolbox (iirc a gear/wheel puller is required), so I will give it a go the other way.
'74 710K (ÖBH Austrian Rehab) mostly unmolested original - the unicorn (everything works!)
collecting pinz docs since 2012 - pm me if I can help
pcolette
United States of America

Post by pcolette »

I've pulled a few steering wheels with no puller and it can be done alone but is easier with two.

-Remove the horn button and disconnect the wire (but don't lose it down the column)
-Loosen the retaining nut and unthread it most of the way off but leave on by 3-4 turns
-Using a rubber mallet bang on the 3 spokes close to the hub from underneath.
-If you have a helper have them pull up on the steering wheel while you're banging on the spokes. Rock the wheel as you're pulling.
-Depending on how tight it was on this may take a while or it may come right off.
-When it does release, the person pulling will be happy the nut is still on so the wheel doesn't smack them in the head :D Don't ask how I know this. :oops:
-Unthread the nut the rest of the way and remove the wheel.
-NOTE: There is a fitting on the underside of the wheel hub that contacts the turn signal switch. Make note of the orientation of the wheel so you can put it back the same way.

Good luck!
Paul C.
_________
'73 Swiss 710M
'89 Puch 230GE