Dropping the gas tank

All things body, interior, paint, windows, tops... you know.
crcpinz

Dropping the gas tank

Post by crcpinz »

Gentlemen, yesterday as I was about to fill up the tank with gas I dropped the gas treatment plastic container through the tank filler tube (yes, I know you shouldn't do that). I've searched for a description on the operation to take down the tank but have not found one. I can see four bolts holding the tank, two that hold it to the bed and two that also hold the splashguard. Are there any others? It seems to me like a big job anyway that I wouldn't try alone and am thinking maybe I should leave the plastic bottle there forever. The bottle had paper labeling that has probably already peeled off and will try to clog the fuel sender. Any recommendations will be deeply appreciated.
Si vis pacem, para bellum
1976 710K
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000163282080
westernair
United States of America

Re: Dropping the gas tank

Post by westernair »

It is an easy pull and replace, I would definatly not let it sit in there. When you have it out you may want to check and replace the seal on the sender unit and fuel pickup tube. these degrade and spill gas when off road. they also make the cabin of the truck smell like gas. either order a set of gaskets, cut a set from a sheet of gasket material or as a last resort use RTV.
Also when draining it before removal, look for any red paint chips, if you find them this is the first sign that you will soon have a red death problem. If that is the case do a search on the site about that problem. Good luck
FWIW i was able to pull my tank on my old K an about 15 minutes, replace the gaskets with home cut ones in an hour and replaced the tank in another 20 to 30 min.
Shawn

62 haffy Bantam
61 haffy 4 door

72 710K - Sold
73 712M - Sold
crcpinz

Post by crcpinz »

OK, Shawn, I will do as you recommend and replace the gaskets, thank you. I have yet to find red particles in the fuel filter, but you never know. Good time to give the tank a good wash, too, I guess.
1976 710K
John L
United States of America

Post by John L »

Hold on!!!! Before you go to the trouble, I dealt with the same issue. I didn't want to post a query on the blog to announce my stupidity. But, since someone else had the issue, maybe it was merely a mistake. :D

Here's what you need: a 27" grabber tool that you can get at autozone. I wound up having to order mine online because the local auto part stores only carried the 18" variety. I was in the driveway when the postman delivered mine and within 10 minutes my gas tank was clear. In my situation, the plastic bottle was there and the two paper labels had come off of the bottle. So I had to retrieve all 3. With the right tool anything is possible.

27" grabber tool is the ticket. When I get home tonight I'll shoot a pic of mine and post it so you know what I'm talking about.

Good luck,

John
westernair
United States of America

Post by westernair »

It is a fairly easy proccess to drop the tank, if you go the removal tool method make sure the lable is still attached or you may need to carry a couple spare fuel filters in your glove box so as the paper works it's way into the fuel line and upto to the filter you can replace them.
Shawn

62 haffy Bantam
61 haffy 4 door

72 710K - Sold
73 712M - Sold
crcpinz

Post by crcpinz »

OK, so since i couldn't find an appropriate tool to extract the bottle I decided on dropping the tank. Fairly easy, as mentioned. Bonus: finding additionally a spigot that screws on the end of the spare gas can filling tube. This spigot reduces the diameter of the flexible tube and was there rolling around the tank since God knows when. One of the labels on the gas treatment bottle was plastic, the other was paper that had practically dissolved. I washed the tank well, and only two tiny pieces of "red death" came out. I also earthed the fuel gauge sender as posted somewhere in this forum, so now my gauge works. The hardest part was fitting the very stiff filling hose back up, job best done with a buddy. Oh, and the two gaskets are cork, so it's best to get them beforehand. I made mine from an old inner tube, and now I have no more fumes in the cab and can fill the tank all the way up. Total time involved about two and a half hours. Thanks everybody.
1976 710K