limit engine/exhaust smells in the vehicle?

All things body, interior, paint, windows, tops... you know.
audiocontr
United States of America

limit engine/exhaust smells in the vehicle?

Post by audiocontr »

I'ts getting colder and we are driving with the top down more and more. As such, i'm noticing odors more and more and so are the ladies who drive with us. Beyond using weather stripping around my aftermarket arm rest, what other methods have folks found successful to keep the smell of exhaust and gasoline from entering the vehicle?

I'm guessing the armrest and rear access panels are the strongest candidates. What else should I seal? Any way to test the heat exchange to make sure its not leaking?
1973 712m
1968 Haflinger
1965 Pathfinder
1978 GMC Palm Beach (Hey, its got 6 wheels!!)
crcpinz

Re: limit engine/exhaust smells in the vehicle?

Post by crcpinz »

Gasoline: Change both gaskets on the fuel tank (fuel pickup and sender). They are cork, but you can make them yourself from a thick inner tube.
Exhaust: If the heat exchanger is shot you should notice the difference when you are blowing hot air into the cabin versus when you are not.
Si vis pacem, para bellum
1976 710K
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000163282080
McCall Pinz
Switzerland

Post by McCall Pinz »

Fit bolts into all the unused holes in the wall between engine and rear passenger area.
Citrus engine degreaser to clean the engine and the various weeping gaskets
Carb rebuild if the gaskets are weeping.
eat, sleep, Pinzgauer
4x4Pinz
United States of America

Post by 4x4Pinz »

if no one is riding in rear passenger area, drop your divider curtain. If the odors are in the rear you need to fab up a seal for the rear canvas and rear door area. I played with a spoiler (look at '60's era suburbans) on my truck when it was canvas. Worked really well at speeds above 30mph. I could drive down the road at 55mph and have the sides just hang straight down instead of being sucked inward. there is a tremendous vacuum at the rear of the truck that brings all the exhaust smells into the rear area and then into the cab. When I made the hard top all that went away.
Jimm391730
United States of America

Post by Jimm391730 »

Opening the door windows will give a negative pressure inside the cab and truck that will suck exhaust fumes inside. Keep the windows closed, and open the fresh air vent (push blue lever down) to force air into the cab from the vent in the front. In the winter, turn on the fan which also forces air inside. If you have more air inside that wants to get out (rather than the other way around) then you won't get exhaust sucked in.
Same thing with the rear canvas; it is tempting to drive around with it open (and the sides down) but this is just about the worst situation. Keep the rear closed, or open all of it.
Jim M.
712W and 710M
spandit

Post by spandit »

I'm told EFI will limit the gasoline smells... on mine it's currently made it worse (due to a high pressure leak :D)
--

Robin

Pinzgauer 710K
MegaJolt ignition
(upgrading to MicroSquirt)
M Wehrman
United States of America

Post by M Wehrman »

EFI alone won't kill the smell w/o a catalytic converter. How about stacks like a semi to put the stink up high! :lol:
Stock means no imagination!

Volvo TGB1317, .95% Morphed!

68 Haffy
TechMOGogy
Canada

Post by TechMOGogy »

One way would be to convert to propane and all Pinzstink will be gone (that was how I got rid of my Mogstink)
I also like running pane as it never goes bad as my 404 can sit for long periods.
72 Pathfinder | 75 710M 2.7i | 96 350GDT Worker
totaljoint

Post by totaljoint »

Since I switched to EFI, I don't notice gasoline smell like before. Exhaust, yes; gas, no.