Anyone replace the windshield bottom seal in a K model?

All things body, interior, paint, windows, tops... you know.
djw
United States of America

Anyone replace the windshield bottom seal in a K model?

Post by djw »

Anyone replace the windshield bottom seal in a K model (pn 711.1.72.033.1, 17 in the diagram)?

The part is relatively cheap, but it doesn't look to me that you can get under it or lift the windshield frame to put it in. The window frame/structure seems to be part of the roof structure, unlike the M model.

??

Thanks
Attachments
windshield seal.jpg
windshield seal.jpg (76.88 KiB) Viewed 2747 times
'74 710K (ÖBH Austrian Rehab) mostly unmolested original - the unicorn (everything works!)
collecting pinz docs since 2012 - pm me if I can help
westernair
United States of America

Re: Anyone replace the windshield bottom seal in a K model?

Post by westernair »

I did it on my old K. It is an easy task, hardest part is cleaning any of the old seal that may be stuck to the metal. I used a scraper to get the few stubborn spots. take the hinge bolts out and the windshild frame will pull out about an inch. Total time to replace about 1 hr.
Shawn

62 haffy Bantam
61 haffy 4 door

72 710K - Sold
73 712M - Sold
djw
United States of America

Post by djw »

Thanks!

Is this piece put in with an adhesive of some kind (originally or as replacement) or is just fit in?
'74 710K (ÖBH Austrian Rehab) mostly unmolested original - the unicorn (everything works!)
collecting pinz docs since 2012 - pm me if I can help
pcolette
United States of America

Post by pcolette »

The couple that I've done on 710M's (same part) held in just fine with friction. I don't think you'll find it necessary to use adhesive.
Paul C.
_________
'73 Swiss 710M
'89 Puch 230GE
westernair
United States of America

Post by westernair »

I had a few spots that leaked pretty bad on mine, so I used roofing tar on both sides when replacing it to insure it was compleatly sealed up. I do this on all the VW's I restore and it has never let me down (one I did 15 years ago and it is still 100% leak proof today). If I were doing it on a M model I would definatly not add the tar, but K's don't get their window opened. It is kinda messy so I apply tape on the areas I dont want the tar. Then I remove the tap once installed and use gasoline to clean everything up.
Hope this helps.
If you use tar use the type w/o reinforcing fibers, just the cheap Henery brand works best.
Shawn

62 haffy Bantam
61 haffy 4 door

72 710K - Sold
73 712M - Sold
BobbyD
United States of America

Post by BobbyD »

I had to replace mine since it was leaking and causing corrosion issues. I put the new one on with the same adhesive I used for the door gasket (wurth black weatherstrip adhesive). I only sealed it to the bottom of the window frame (in case I ever fold down the window).

While my truck is a "K", someone stole my roof and I have no experience on how the window frame connects to the roof.
1971 710K S
N2PNZ