Gas heater info

All things body, interior, paint, windows, tops... you know.
berger
Canada

Gas heater info

Post by berger »

Hi guys.

I was wondering if someone could identify this heater? Is there a thermostat adjustment on it, and is this cap right for the heater, cause it rattles when not pushed down tight.

Any info is greatly appreciated. (Pictures taken on my Tab)

Ottawa, Canada
1974 710M
2007 2WD Ural Patrol
djw
United States of America

Re: Gas heater info

Post by djw »

Not much help, but doesn't the data plate say if it's and Eberspächer BN? something? Or Webasto? If no help you might check with eberspachers.com.
'74 710K (ÖBH Austrian Rehab) mostly unmolested original - the unicorn (everything works!)
collecting pinz docs since 2012 - pm me if I can help
milesdzyn

Post by milesdzyn »

Looks like a Benmar Made for the US Military back in the 70's but there were other manufactures that made a similar unit.

Miles
Lots of Pinz pictures here.......
http://picasaweb.google.com/pinzgauer.depository.1

'73 Pinzgauer 712M
djw
United States of America

Post by djw »

milesdzyn wrote:Looks like a Benmar Made for the US Military back in the 70's but there were other manufactures that made a similar unit.

Miles
Yes exactly:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BENMAR-AP-2030- ... 7675.l2557
'74 710K (ÖBH Austrian Rehab) mostly unmolested original - the unicorn (everything works!)
berger
Canada

Post by berger »

djw wrote:
milesdzyn wrote:Looks like a Benmar Made for the US Military back in the 70's but there were other manufactures that made a similar unit.

Miles
Yes exactly:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BENMAR-AP-2030- ... 7675.l2557

That's it! Thanks guys!

Anyone else running one? Can I control the thermostat on one of these?
Ottawa, Canada
1974 710M
2007 2WD Ural Patrol
audiocontr
United States of America

Post by audiocontr »

Many of us have one exactly like that. Mine is installed in the rear, behind the firewall.

There is a screw that holds the top on. Snugged should prevent the rattle.

There are two settings. High and holy fricken Christ, is this a jet engine?? It's accomplished by a switch in the controller wiring. Only start it on the lower setting and set to higher once lit. No thermostat

Always allow the unit to burn off excess fuel and turn off by itself. Do not force it off or it can pool gasoline.

The unit uses a fiberglass insulating rope to seal the combustion chamber from fresh air. This is very problematic and tends to leak over time. Replace that seal if you're unsure or smell exhaust through the unit. Any smell of fuel while running should be carefully investigated, especially if running normal gas as a fuel source.
1973 712m
1968 Haflinger
1965 Pathfinder
1978 GMC Palm Beach (Hey, its got 6 wheels!!)
audiocontr
United States of America

Post by audiocontr »

Show us what your controller looks like please. You should be happy that your truck has that mod. Good stuff!!
1973 712m
1968 Haflinger
1965 Pathfinder
berger
Canada

Post by berger »

audiocontr wrote:Show us what your controller looks like please. You should be happy that your truck has that mod. Good stuff!!
The heater is switched on the dash, so I am not sure what you mean by controller...I will look under the dash to see.
Ottawa, Canada
1974 710M
2007 2WD Ural Patrol
berger
Canada

Post by berger »

I cannot locate the controller. What does it look like? I turned it on today and let it run, but it on,y blew cold air. No heat. When i first bought the truck, it worked, but not any more.
Ottawa, Canada
1974 710M
2007 2WD Ural Patrol
Jimm391730
United States of America

Post by Jimm391730 »

Since the fuel usage is so low, any tiny leaks in the fuel line will allow air to be sucked in instead of fuel - no fuel, no heat. Try putting a temporary fuel source at the same height as the pump; this will tell you if this is the problem.
Jim M.
712W and 710M
djw
United States of America

Post by djw »

Jimm391730 wrote:Since the fuel usage is so low, any tiny leaks in the fuel line will allow air to be sucked in instead of fuel - no fuel, no heat. Try putting a temporary fuel source at the same height as the pump; this will tell you if this is the problem.

Apologies if this does not apply to your model as all I am familiar with is the eberspacher/webasto heaters.

Although a different model, my issue was the same as above. The incoming fuel lines had gotten porous, and putting any positive differential on them you could watch them seep fuel (and therefore under vac, suck air). The little metering pump (presumably yours has one similar to mine) puts out almost no pressure at all but you can feel it click every few seconds if it is calling for fuel, which it does 30 seconds or so after the blower starts. If this is your problem, replacing some metering pump fuel line solved the problem.
audiocontr
United States of America

Post by audiocontr »

Interesting on the controller. It appears it was hard wired then to a single button. You could always modify this if you need to allow the high setting.

I can tell you that it takes quite a bit of time before my unit turns on... probably a full minute or two. Best bet is to check the fuel as mentioned.
1973 712m
1968 Haflinger
1965 Pathfinder
djw
United States of America

Post by djw »

I have been unable to find a manual on yours, maybe you'll have more luck.

If yours is too far hacked to be salvageable, you might consider replacing it with a later model Eberspacher/Espar, Airtronic, Webasto. They are well documented and they all seem to function (and connect) similarly.

No affiliation to me, but eberspacherparts.com sells refurbed/guaranteed units and puts up working examples to show the startup sequence on youtube.

I am not certain I would trust a unit pulled ("was working once") now parted out on fleabay since there are a lot of bits (heat control, pump, heater, control unit... manual) in a complete installation. In getting mine to function I learned that the metering pumps aren't interchangeable and fuel delivery is specific to the model. If it was working why is on fleabay?

I would imagine winter about here up north, eh? :wink:
Thomas-E

Post by Thomas-E »

Berger,

I'm running one of these Benmar heaters, fairly happy with it.

I can email you a copy of a control circuit schematic.

When you go to start mode (low) it may take a minute, be sure that your external
fuel pump is primed first. If the heater glow plug/ignitor is working you should see
some vapor coming from the heater exhaust. Check with your hand to see if the
exhaust is warming up. If not you may have a defective ignitor...I had one fail!

Some parts are hard to find, including the ignitor. A suggested fix it to remove it and
replace the ignitor heating coil. Get an automotive cigarette lighter and use its' heater wire
to replace the broken one.

Give me a little time and I may be able to find the manual.

As far as parts are concerned these are still found on ebay. Two types - the Heated Air type
which were used for interior heating and a liquid heater for engine preheating (it uses most
of the same parts).

Yes, on high it does sound like a JET ENGINE. :shock:

I bought a spare heater for parts from a gal in Toronto a year ago.
Thomas E.
Sonora, CA
712 Camper
[img][url]M:\avatar\DSCN0010%20(Custom).JPG[/url][/img]
berger
Canada

Post by berger »

Thomas-E wrote:Berger,

I'm running one of these Benmar heaters, fairly happy with it.

I can email you a copy of a control circuit schematic.

When you go to start mode (low) it may take a minute, be sure that your external
fuel pump is primed first. If the heater glow plug/ignitor is working you should see
some vapor coming from the heater exhaust. Check with your hand to see if the
exhaust is warming up. If not you may have a defective ignitor...I had one fail!

Some parts are hard to find, including the ignitor. A suggested fix it to remove it and
replace the ignitor heating coil. Get an automotive cigarette lighter and use its' heater wire
to replace the broken one.

Give me a little time and I may be able to find the manual.

As far as parts are concerned these are still found on ebay. Two types - the Heated Air type
which were used for interior heating and a liquid heater for engine preheating (it uses most
of the same parts).

Yes, on high it does sound like a JET ENGINE. :shock:

I bought a spare heater for parts from a gal in Toronto a year ago.
Thanks! I would appreciate the schematic!

Where is the external pump and the high/low switch? I just have the switch on my dash which turns it on. Is there a way to test the ignitor? Can I pull it and see if it sparks, kind of like a spark plug?

This heater was installed by Pinzgauer Canada, and I am not very confident in their services after a few discoveries, so I have stayed away.
Last edited by berger on Fri Nov 23, 2012 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ottawa, Canada
1974 710M
2007 2WD Ural Patrol