Who makes good super rope?

All things body, interior, paint, windows, tops... you know.
Pinzgauer Pete

Who makes good super rope?

Post by Pinzgauer Pete »

Recently I purchased a spool of rubber rope that was to be used to replace the rear section on my 710M which had broken and needed to be redone. I renewed the entire rear lengths but since the front was still intact and in good shape left it alone. Well I can tell you that in comparison to the original rope the replacement was pure crap and lasted all of about 5 months then began to crack and disintegrate. I have plenty on the spool and have again replaced it but was disappointed by the quality. Does anyone have a suggestion as to where I can get the original stuff used by the swiss? or its equivalent? that stuff was bulletproof. I see E.I. and SAV have rope sold by the foot and a bit costly but is it the real deal or the same junk I already have at a much higher price? any comments would be appreciated! :D
life is like a box of chocolates...you never know which one you might get

710M
pcolette
United States of America

Re: Who makes good super rope?

Post by pcolette »

I've used the rubber cord from SAV and it is the real deal. So far has lasted over 5 years and is still very elastic. I've also used what appears to be the same product from McMaster-Carr (EPDM rubber cord stock) and it has worked well also. It's about .15/foot less expensive at McMaster but IMHO it's worth the extra to get the actual product from EI or SAV.

The SS clamp rings are also available at McMaster at significant savings. http://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-stain ... ps/=kbgrzp
I used the double pinch type but don't recall the size. I'll see if I can dig up some and let you know.

EDIT: It looks like the clamps I got from McMaster are part #54105K38. I'd suggest checking the measurements of them and see if they'll fit your needs.
Paul C.
_________
'73 Swiss 710M
'89 Puch 230GE
krick3tt

Post by krick3tt »

I got mine here.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/USA-RUBBER-ROPE ... 9f&vxp=mtr

More than enough to do two pinzies and I even sold a pinz worth to a guy at NWMF and still have enough to do my pinz again.
Been on a year on winter and summer weather and shows no sign of wear or lack of stretch.

For the price it is a good purchase.
Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him:
better take a closer look at the American Indian.---Henry Ford
mopar
United States of America

Post by mopar »

what thicknes do you guys recommend 3/8s or 7/16s?
How do you crimp those clamps? any Pictures?

1974 712M AKA the Banana
1974 710M AKA the project truck
1987 718M Now Sold
1975 Volvo TGB1111 Now Sold
1973 Pinzgauer 712M x2 Now Sold
1963 404S Now Sold
krick3tt

Post by krick3tt »

The 3/8 is plenty big enough. I use an end nipper to crimp the clamps. Got them from Fastenall. I think I got 50 in a package. More than enough to do the entire pinz...every place necessary.
If the clamps you have are good you can use a tapered tool to open them up for a reuse. A tool like the steel workers use to line up holes for inserting bolts. My Dad was a heavy construction
bridge builder and welder so I have some left over tools that come in handy for automotive work.

edit: see the crimping post for a pic
Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him:
better take a closer look at the American Indian.---Henry Ford