dehumidifier in a 710K

All things body, interior, paint, windows, tops... you know.
bonefish635
Great Britain

dehumidifier in a 710K

Post by bonefish635 »

My Pinz lives outside, normally but not always under a cover. Wet climate.

Having hunted down and dealt with all the leaks I realise the remainder of the internal moisture derives from condensation/ dampness (given the vehicle can go maybe two weeks between drives).

Is there any reason why setting up a dehumidifier to run permanently inside (when not driving, obviously) would be a bad idea?

I'd have it externally powered of course.

Any experiences would be gratefully received.

Tony
1973 710K
2001 Landcruiser Amazon
2007 Range Rover Vogue (sold)
2001 Nissan Patrol GR 3.0TD (sold)
audiocontr
United States of America

Re: dehumidifier in a 710K

Post by audiocontr »

If you can afford the electricity it's a great idea.

It's very similar to crawl space issues I'm dealing with... Vent it enough to limit condensation or keep it sealed and add a humidifier.

I small one would do just fine.

Maybe set it at 50%. Some moisture is good.
1973 712m
1968 Haflinger
1965 Pathfinder
1978 GMC Palm Beach (Hey, its got 6 wheels!!)
spandit

Post by spandit »

If the gaps in your Pinz are anything like mine, I'd be worried that you'd be trying to dehumidify the wider environment (and in Scotland, you're going to have a job!).

Give it a go and see what happens - the heat given out will probably help reduce condensation too but unless the inside is insulated, you're probably onto a losing battle
--

Robin

Pinzgauer 710K
MegaJolt ignition
(upgrading to MicroSquirt)
bonefish635
Great Britain

Post by bonefish635 »

I spent ages over the course of a year or more sealing all gaps or potential ingress points with clear waxoyl and I'm pretty sure no rain gets in (except at the windows, which have clip on covers now to stop that). It has good door seals too. It also lives under a supposedly breathable waterproof cover.

So 24 hours after switch on I have taken two pints of water out of the machine, and the interior is bone dry. I'll run it for another day full power and see whether, as Spandit suggests, I'm drying the air in the neighbourhood too.

I'm calling this a win for now.

Tony
1973 710K
2001 Landcruiser Amazon
spandit

Post by spandit »

It's not going to hurt the vehicle. Mine has big gaps in the door seals and there are vents in the footwells but if it's working for you then that's good!

I just wish I had mine in a driveable state... :(
--

Robin

Pinzgauer 710K
MegaJolt ignition
(upgrading to MicroSquirt)
TechMOGogy
Canada

Post by TechMOGogy »

I think this is a great idea - a dehumidifier can't use that much electricity can it?
With that said, I think the cost to run one is well worth what it is going to save you in repairs down the road.
You could even put it on a timer and just run it a few hours each day or have it go on and off multiple times per day for short periods.
72 Pathfinder | 75 710M 2.7i | 96 350GDT Worker
David Dunn
United States of America

Post by David Dunn »

LR 101 Vampires had aircon for dehumidifiers in them. I'm not sure about other Brit EW trucks having them, but is a place to start... and they're the right voltage for you. :wink:

The Trojan Horse... the 1st Pinz used to covertly carry troops into battle .

ATL Pinzgauer XM 718K TUM(HD) 6x6 FFR (aka The Green Grail)
ScottishPinz
Great Britain

Post by ScottishPinz »

I have lined my truck with closed cell foam insulation and leave the vents (holes for cables) open to air the truck. Seems to work quite well although I get a puddle on the floor from leaking windows after heavy rain, but there is never much condensation anywhere.
Attachments
IMG_4400.jpg
IMG_4400.jpg (26.85 KiB) Viewed 4000 times
DSC02574.jpg
DSC02574.jpg (39.31 KiB) Viewed 4000 times
bonefish635
Great Britain

Post by bonefish635 »

Yep, it now produces virtually nothing, even after, say, 48hrs of running. There's no sign of condensation anywhere, and even the fabric items, like the lap belts and a towel which lives there all feel bone dry.

I think I'm going to run it for a day or so per week now, and see if it keeps the atmosphere from letting it produce much water in the collector.

I should really rig up a power socket inside, powered by a waterproof socket on the underside somewhere, to allow me to plug the mains electricity to. Then I wouldn't have to keep trying to sneak the extension cable in at the corner of the rear door under the seal.

Tony
1973 710K
2001 Landcruiser Amazon