710M Rear Canvas Top Install

All things body, interior, paint, windows, tops... you know.
khansmith

710M Rear Canvas Top Install

Post by khansmith »

Hi Guys:
My 710M never came with a top so I have never seen how the front canvas and rear canvas tops are installed. Specifically, I can't figure how the front canvas and the rear canvas connect behind the driver (elephant ears). I have a tuff river stuff front and rear canvas. If anyone has pictures that detail the installation specifics regarding how the installation works, I would be very very very grateful.

Thank You!
Khan
Ridgewood, NJ
1974 710M
2006 Ural Patrol
undysworld
Norway

Re: 710M Rear Canvas Top Install

Post by undysworld »

Khan,

Rear top goes on first. The ears flap over the front edges of the rear top, then the rubber rope holds things on under tension. The front top goes on last, and rubber ropes attach to the sides of the rear top.

I've only dealt with one Tough River top, and it has some slightly different hook arrangement than the originals. But that's the basics. Hope it helps some.
westernair
United States of America

Re: 710M Rear Canvas Top Install

Post by westernair »

If you have never had a top you will need the d rings that have sheet metal tails on them to run the black rubber cord through so you can keep the front and rear sections together. Look at SAV they are about $6 each.
Also do you have the aluminum stays that holds the front roof on? The d rings are installed under the front top on the screws that hold the stays on.
I just installed a tough river top myself a few months ago.
Shawn

62 haffy Bantam
61 haffy 4 door

72 710K - Sold
73 712M - Sold