Best method to clean canvas?

All things body, interior, paint, windows, tops... you know.
audiocontr
United States of America

Best method to clean canvas?

Post by audiocontr »

No way around it, my canvas is FILTHY! My hands are immediately black after rolling the sides and the interior collects mildew from all of the humidity.

It appears that the best method is to remove all canvas completely, scrub with a stiff brush, an power wash. Has anyone found a chemical which aids in the cleaning? I have plenty of 403 protectant for when I'm finished.
1973 712m
1968 Haflinger
1965 Pathfinder
1978 GMC Palm Beach (Hey, its got 6 wheels!!)
pcolette
United States of America

Re: Best method to clean canvas?

Post by pcolette »

I seem to recall that some have used Mop & Glo floor cleaner and it has worked well to break thru the build-up of crud and let it be rinsed away.
Paul C.
_________
'73 Swiss 710M
'89 Puch 230GE
VinceAtReal4x4s
Admin
United States of America

Post by VinceAtReal4x4s »

I've done a few tops with Greased Lightning which most places carry and I know I've seen it at Home Depot. It's a hell of a cleaner. Let it soak after spraying for 10 minutes, then start with the brush.
"For those who risk, life has a flavor the protected shall never enjoy"

Your donation makes this site possible!

krick3tt

Post by krick3tt »

Take it off the vehicle, spread in the driveway (clean the drive first :roll: )
I use Resolve (used to be called Spray 'n Wash) clean well. Lather, rinse, repeat just like shampoo.
Same stuff I use to clean the driveway from oil spills.

Then when dry use 303 Protectant to keep it looking good. After this process mine looks like a new top.
Have to replace a few of the thread seams though at the very back, they are going away just from being so old.
Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him:
better take a closer look at the American Indian.---Henry Ford
pinzinator

Post by pinzinator »

Use Simple Green or a convertible top cleaner.
stiffler4444
Canada

Post by stiffler4444 »

Banana oil, or laundry miracle as it's known locally. It's 100% natural and will remove anything safely. My wife had a hoodie that was covered in red wine. I doused it in the stuff and forgot about it under the laundry room sink. She took it out a few days later and the wine had disappeared. Same with grease, blood, or any other crap that might build up on your canvas.

For the window, I find Novus pinball/plasics cleaner does the trick. I believe the #2 is for scratch removal.

tx Dave
1972 710m
TechMOGogy
Canada

Post by TechMOGogy »

stiffler4444 wrote:Banana oil, or laundry miracle as it's known locally. It's 100% natural and will remove anything safely. My wife had a hoodie that was covered in red wine. I doused it in the stuff and forgot about it under the laundry room sink. She took it out a few days later and the wine had disappeared. Same with grease, blood, or any other crap that might build up on your canvas.

For the window, I find Novus pinball/plasics cleaner does the trick. I believe the #2 is for scratch removal.

tx Dave
Blood???
What do you do with your Pinz???
If Zombie blood then you need to leave it so warn others :D
72 Pathfinder | 75 710M 2.7i | 96 350GDT Worker
stiffler4444
Canada

Post by stiffler4444 »

TechMOGogy wrote:
stiffler4444 wrote:Banana oil, or laundry miracle as it's known locally. It's 100% natural and will remove anything safely. My wife had a hoodie that was covered in red wine. I doused it in the stuff and forgot about it under the laundry room sink. She took it out a few days later and the wine had disappeared. Same with grease, blood, or any other crap that might build up on your canvas.

tx Dave
Blood???
What do you do with your Pinz???
If Zombie blood then you need to leave it so warn others :D
Er...uh.....well, not necessarily from driving the Pinz...usually from working on it!
1972 710m
audiocontr
United States of America

Post by audiocontr »

1973 712m
1968 Haflinger
1965 Pathfinder
1978 GMC Palm Beach (Hey, its got 6 wheels!!)