Forward Facing Rear Seats in an M

All things body, interior, paint, windows, tops... you know.
totaljoint

Forward Facing Rear Seats in an M

Post by totaljoint »

I'm in the process of adding some forward facing rear seats in my 712M. I've seen some pictures of
bench and bucket seats at 45 degrees configuration, but I don't want to remove the folding side seats, nor drill any new holes.

The seats will be on a removable frame which attach to the e-trac on either side at multiple points. The frame will be welded aluminum with bracing behind the seat back, and seat belts will attach outboard side to the e-trac and inboard to the frame. Andre attached the e-trac to the bed sides and middle bar- in usual Andre fashion, ie: it's as secure as an e-trac can get in that truck.

I'm using these seats because the their light weight and steel shell for attachment:
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/ ... _8268_8268

If anyone knows of any previous attempts/pictures or plans for forward seats, I'd appreciate seeing them as I plan my
frame.
audiocontr
United States of America

Re: Forward Facing Rear Seats in an M

Post by audiocontr »

Interesting idea!

I've always thought of mounting an pinz ambulance seat on the rear door and one above the transmission cover, allowing two more occupants. The rear door = danger.
1973 712m
1968 Haflinger
1965 Pathfinder
1978 GMC Palm Beach (Hey, its got 6 wheels!!)
totaljoint

Post by totaljoint »

The problem with troop seating is that it gets old really fast. My boys are now grown up, and no one wants to ride in the back anymore.
The K seats are light but flimsy.

A frame would allow the seats to be moved forward or back (closer to carry conversation with the front occupants, back to take the dogs along. These seats have to be more comfortable than troop seats, and I can't see how it's any less crash safe than the troopers. With proper bracing, it should minimize fore and aft torque failure at the seat base. The weight of the frame will sit on a 3/4 inch solid rubber (animal stall) pad laid across the folded down side seats and anchor to the e-trac. I suppose I could even attach a bar across the seat backs to the outer cage. Hmmm. Head rests like the ones on the 712dk at EI could go on as well.

There's a local off-road aluminum trailer and custom marine wake board tower manufacturer http://www.valhallamarine.com/, http://www.vmioffroad.com/ who will make the frame. Still working on the final design however.....
4x4Pinz
United States of America

Post by 4x4Pinz »

I installed a set of forward facing bucket seats and forward facing bench seat in the rear of my 712 at one time. I liked the idea of a flat bed so I used a piece of angle iron bolted to the original seat hinge bolt locations. I then welded a piece of 1/8 plate to that at the two locations of the seats. I then installed a continuous hinge and another piece of plate steel so I could retain the ability to have a flat bed when needed. I made the seat frames attach to the two pieces of steel much the same way the front seats are fitted ( two pins and a capture bolt at the back) In the photo of showing the rear of the bench seat you can see that I used eye bolts so I could tie stuff down as well as hold the seats in place. on the under side I used wing nuts so removal did not require any tools. You will also notice that there is a grab bar in place in front of the bucket seats (one was available for the bench seats also just not installed at the time of the photo. these were two piece and pinned in place with hitch pins so they too could be removed easily when not needed. this set up worked great for a number of years. As the family has grown (kids moved on to start their lives) I have remodeled my truck again. Sure makes on heck of an offroad motor home now.
At one point in time I was going to make side entrance available to facilitate getting into the rear seats but just never got around to it.

In the back of my 710 I chose to use the 45 degree set up with bucket so people could get in and out easier.
Attachments
forward facing rear bench seat
forward facing rear bench seat
101_0004 (Small).JPG (55.59 KiB) Viewed 5118 times
can see the forward facing bucket seats in front position and bench in second position
can see the forward facing bucket seats in front position and bench in second position
100_0484 (Small).jpg (68.4 KiB) Viewed 5118 times
Twin Pinzies

Post by Twin Pinzies »

Since I use 710M's as commercial 4x4 tour trucks, I have considered changing to forward or diagonal facing seats too but...
We climb and descend such STEEP slope angles that forward or rearward facing seats would simply dump people out while either going up or down. Sideways facing seats even it all out.
audiocontr
United States of America

Post by audiocontr »

I have a MOAB like the one on the rear of your truck, but never tried to mount it to the 712m. I'd like to. It seems the easiest way is to mount it above the cab, taking advantage of the two bolts on the windshield frame and the antenna base, though i like the look of it more on the rear of the truck.

Any ideas of an inexpensive mounting solution without destroying the canvas?
1973 712m
1968 Haflinger
1965 Pathfinder
1978 GMC Palm Beach (Hey, its got 6 wheels!!)
Andre
United States of America

Post by Andre »

The seats will be on a removable frame which attach to the e-trac on either side at multiple points. The frame will be welded aluminum with bracing behind the seat back, and seat belts will attach outboard side to the e-trac and inboard to the frame. Andre attached the e-trac to the bed sides and middle bar- in usual Andre fashion, ie: it's as secure as an e-trac can get in that truck.

I had always imagined individual seat bases that lock into the E track and a flange with several, equally spaced hole that lined up with the hinge mounts in the foot well.
This would enable removal and relocation to best fit various load configurations. Combine this with the low profile swivel base with locking position lever as on most fishing boats, they can chose to lock 45 degrees fwd, Perpendicular(like bench seats) or 45 degrees aft.

The hinge mount bolt in the foot well can be replaced with thumb screws to aid in quick release.
Or a spring loaded securing Pin can be used in the well nuts for even quicker removal.

Sounds Like I need to do something like this for myself since I only have 2 rear benches in my truck. That will have to happen later when I have a lighter work load.
Fat Fabrications
2993 FM 1647
Winnsboro, TX. 75494
fatfabrications@yahoo.com
(903) 365-2332 shop
(951) 765-7224 mobile
Facebook.com/dokapinz6x6
Www.fatfabrications.com
4x4Pinz
United States of America

Post by 4x4Pinz »

audiocontr wrote:Image

I have a MOAB like the one on the rear of your truck, but never tried to mount it to the 712m. I'd like to. It seems the easiest way is to mount it above the cab, taking advantage of the two bolts on the windshield frame and the antenna base, though i like the look of it more on the rear of the truck.

Any ideas of an inexpensive mounting solution without destroying the canvas?
I made this roof rack with a ladder which allows me to place it anywhere on the rack to access items up top. the rack, ladder and supports came in under 70#'s all powder coated up. The lighter weight allowed for more storage with less tippy feeling then the other heavier options I saw. I have added slats of wood that can be layed out in the rack to make the rack a nice sleeping platform. when the slats are bundled up they only measure 5 1/2 X 6 and run the length of the rack. Very happy with this setup. I know Tim knocked off my setup and made a few and even some with lots of modifications to fit the customers request. The idea was to keep it light because as we all know the 710's don't need any more weight up in the air.
Attachments
100_3498 (Small).JPG
100_3498 (Small).JPG (88.63 KiB) Viewed 5037 times