Tuff River Tops - Infomation Request

All things body, interior, paint, windows, tops... you know.
totaljoint

Re: Tuff River Tops - Infomation Request

Post by totaljoint »

Reccomendations after having one (and loving it) for about 5 years:

1. rear window should be like the side ones, ie: removable with velcro. My rear window is the only one sewn in, which means that when the most abused
piece of vinyl on the truck needs replacing, the whole top has to come off.

2. replace the metal snap hooks on the straps which hold the side curtains rolled up with plastic fastex buckles. The metal ones mine came with are heavier, and swing while driving, knocking rear passengers in the head. fastex buckles are easier to clip in, lighter weight- so don't swing or knock so much, and will
stay tucked up between the roof bows and canvas much better than the metal clips. I converted all mine for around $20, be sure and get the ones with the thicker slots for the strap, since the strap material passes through each slot twice when rigging them on. Tuff River uses nice heavy straps!

3. if the side curtains were a little longer (only about an inch or so) esp. toward the front of the bed where they seem to rise slightly (over the gas cap) as in the picture above, there wouldn't be a gap behind the passenger and driver seats where air comes in. Right now it barely overlaps the edge of the truck side rail in that area. Years of rubber cord tension on these curtains hasn't stretched them at all.

4. The bigger Ray can make those side windows, the better (my humble opinion). From the driver's seat, looking through the side screens at an oblique angle makes
everything much darker. That, or my eyesight is failing!
TechMOGogy
Canada

Post by TechMOGogy »

Getting excellent info out of this thread!
totaljoint - any chance you could post a picture of the area your referencing in #3
Thanks,
Dan
72 Pathfinder | 75 710M 2.7i | 96 350GDT Worker
totaljoint

Post by totaljoint »

any chance you could post a picture of the area your referencing in #3
The only pictures I have right now are from the outside: look at the lower hem of the curtain as it comes forward, and raises just
at the gas cap. That is the area where the curtain pulls slightly away from the bed rail. Doesn't look like much until you feel the breeze
at highway speed. The rubber rope stops just aft of the spot, and that front short piece (bottom picture, just above the gas cap and under the first step of the ladder) is blown just slightly open while driving. Jamming a towel from the inside helps, but really opens the gap wider since the curtain is shorter there.
audiocontr
United States of America

Post by audiocontr »

The closed windows make me nervous - Is there an option NOT to have them?

Mine would be rolled up 99% of the time, trapping in water and organic material in the outward facing twist. How can i avoid damage?
1973 712m
1968 Haflinger
1965 Pathfinder
1978 GMC Palm Beach (Hey, its got 6 wheels!!)
totaljoint

Post by totaljoint »

Mine would be rolled up 99% of the time, trapping in water and organic material in the outward facing twist. How can i avoid damage?
1. Make the windows removable with a velcro seal. Tuff River does this, works great. The screen is permanent install and the windows go right over them. You can keep them out all summer- no creases wrinkles or wear in the window.
2. Roll the curtains and window covers up by twisting underneath (there was a post on this a while back that rolling under was the Swiss military recommended method to keep water out of the roll).
This is the wrong way:

This is the right way:(zoom in if possible)

It's more difficult to under- roll the entire insulated curtain, but is possible. Second set of hands really helps!
OR.... get Andre to make you a cage, and tuck the curtains between the canvas top and the rack floor. Works great.
Andre
United States of America

Post by Andre »

This is the way you get a new top that doesn't rot in the rain. Images with windows, latches, and rear panel and door to come.
Attachments
0211142051.jpg
0211142051.jpg (43.33 KiB) Viewed 7848 times
0212141149a.jpg
0212141149a.jpg (53.93 KiB) Viewed 7848 times
0212141150.jpg
0212141150.jpg (46 KiB) Viewed 7848 times
0212141149.jpg
0212141149.jpg (66.28 KiB) Viewed 7848 times
Fat Fabrications
2993 FM 1647
Winnsboro, TX. 75494
fatfabrications@yahoo.com
(903) 365-2332 shop
(951) 765-7224 mobile
Facebook.com/dokapinz6x6
Www.fatfabrications.com
audiocontr
United States of America

Post by audiocontr »

We should trade trucks total joint. :idea:

Love the roll cage, gas tank and top.
1973 712m
1968 Haflinger
1965 Pathfinder
1978 GMC Palm Beach (Hey, its got 6 wheels!!)
TechMOGogy
Canada

Post by TechMOGogy »

Andre wrote:This is the way you get a new top that doesn't rot in the rain. Images with windows, latches, and rear panel and door to come.
And the snow! Very slick! Are the rear sides removable?
Is that steel or aluminum?
Andre
United States of America

Post by Andre »

the rear sides are designed to remove with a lockable, tool box latch to be left in camp. I liked that option better than hinging up like a Pick up camper shell. Kids like open air wheeling.
Fat Fabrications
2993 FM 1647
Winnsboro, TX. 75494
fatfabrications@yahoo.com
(903) 365-2332 shop
(951) 765-7224 mobile
Facebook.com/dokapinz6x6
Www.fatfabrications.com
GenevaPinz
Switzerland

Post by GenevaPinz »

I post a few pictures with more details of my TuffRiver top:

The 4 side windows are made of fixed mosquito net, with a canvas flap both inside and outside, held with zippers on each side and velcro at the bottom on the outside, and just velcro on all 3 sides for the inside flap. each flap has 2 elastic cloth tabs with a snap to hold it when rolled up.

Here is a view from the inside, with the flap rolled up:

The plexi windows are removable panels that are held in place with velcro on all 4 sides plus 4 elastic cloth tabs. They are not flexible enough, so they need to be removed if you want to roll up the whole side. They are fixed on the outer side of the mosquito net:

The window on the rear of the top is fixed plexi (no mosquito net), covered by a flap both inside and outside, same as the side windows. I don't know why Ray added velcro on the sides here... It is flexible enough to be rolled up without problem, and the two flaps make a good job protecting the plexi. Usually I roll up the whole rear part if possible, I uncover the window only when the weather begs for the top to remain closed... It looks really dark here because I did not bother rolling up the inner flap for the picture... :oops:

From front to rear:
Fully covered and closed side window, open side window with plexi panel in place, rear window with flap rolled up.
Jan

'72 Pinzgauer 710M
krick3tt

Post by krick3tt »

Excellent look to your vehicle. Like the winch at the back. How is it mounted? Truly would like to see pics of that arrangement.
I have side rails like that. Since I put them on have not had any scrapes with boulders like the kind that ruined my wood rails.
Maybe I am just more careful? :lol:

also, those look to be different rims, true?
Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him:
better take a closer look at the American Indian.---Henry Ford
GenevaPinz
Switzerland

Post by GenevaPinz »

Thanks for the kind comment!

The rear winch is something I wanted to do for a long time, and I must credit Dave Dunn for the idea (which he applied on his "Pink Cow") and for being kind enough to share pictures with me a few years ago. I had it done by Gut in Zurich, but one piece needs to be modified in my view, to get better protection for the winch and better rigidity and strength for the pintle. I will post pics next weekend, and again when modified/improved.

The rims are the Ford Transit ones. When I got the truck I wanted to get rid of the Maloyas and switch to tubeless, and these rims are designed for tubeless. At the time I was influenced by a thread from a forum member in Luxembourg under the name EuroPinz, who found these. Eventually, seeing so many people just slapping tubeless tires on the stock wheels, I guess I could have done without the expense...
Jan

'72 Pinzgauer 710M
TechMOGogy
Canada

Post by TechMOGogy »

Older thread update:
Just an FYI that Ray at Tuff River Stuff is now making Pinz tops year round.
There could still be a slight wait but the whole "it's rafting season" thing is no longer in effect.
I found that trying to deviate from his standard template is not very welcome and if you manage to convince him the price goes up exponentially!
I liked Andre's tops but was looking at insulation since I live in the Great White North
Cheers,
Dan
bikmakr
United States of America

Post by bikmakr »

Another suggestion to those ordering the Tuff River Top. Ask Ray to sew a third strap centered on the top of the window openings. When the windows are rolled up, they sag in the middle. I have to roll up 1/2 pvc pipe to keep them from sagging.
TechMOGogy
Canada

Post by TechMOGogy »

bikmakr wrote:Another suggestion to those ordering the Tuff River Top. Ask Ray to sew a third strap centered on the top of the window openings. When the windows are rolled up, they sag in the middle. I have to roll up 1/2 pvc pipe to keep them from sagging.
GenevaPinz's picture (above) shows 3 D rings for staps (one centered between the 2 windows) - yours does not have that?

Edit: ah - you mean the window flaps - now I get it!