Tuff River Tops - Infomation Request

All things body, interior, paint, windows, tops... you know.
TechMOGogy
Canada

Tuff River Tops - Infomation Request

Post by TechMOGogy »

So I have searched and read all the threads on Tuff River tops and I have seen the material samples.
Would like to ask 2 questions (1st I already know but I may as well ask to make sure :D), 2nd question is the important one!
1. How do you like the tops?
2. What would you change, add or modify to make it better (if anything)?

If I am thinking of ordering I may as well suggest any custom requests before they start making it.

Thanks in advance,
Dan
72 Pathfinder | 75 710M 2.7i | 96 350GDT Worker
pcolette
United States of America

Re: Tuff River Tops - Infomation Request

Post by pcolette »

The tops are great! Very well made from top quality materials. I have the front with divider curtain, rear and bimini top in toast color for my '73 710M. Also had a charcoal front and divider curtain for the '75 710M that I sold. The front cover does an amazing job of absorbing engine and road noise.

I haven't really looked too hard but I can't think of anything I would add or change. Some prefer to have screens rather than windows in the rear and I've also seen them without the roll up windows covers. Depends on your planned uses as to what will work best for you.
Paul C.
_________
'73 Swiss 710M
'89 Puch 230GE
krick3tt

Post by krick3tt »

I went to his shop and discussed tops with him. I've seen the type of quality work he does.

I can't swing the price but if I had the bucks I would get one.

I've seen them with the roll-up windows and the screens in, also with plastic windows sim to original tops. The window cover can be removable as well.
The screens can be interchangible with the windows by the use of velcro and/or zippers. On a 712 the sides of the top are split with a zipper to keep either half up or down.
So many variations. Just have to use your imagination to get the ideal fit for your needs. The securing can be done with the rubber bungie material or straps using the original
side clips. The rear can be zippers or bungie. I've seen both used. The rear can be roll up or removable.
Since you have seen the fabric choices you have a good idea what is available.

One thing to keep in mind though, as it gets closer to rafting season their business might get more orders for rafts and it might add to the time to make tops. They mentioned that
to me.

I don't think you can go wrong getting a top from them. Would be even better if you could drive to their shop and camp locally while they made your top.. Beautiful country there.
Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him:
better take a closer look at the American Indian.---Henry Ford
Fentonite
United States of America

Post by Fentonite »

I recently got one of his tops. Very nicely done. I would like it if the windows were removeable, but they are not (I asked, and he said it didn't come the way). The only other thing I'd change, is to use D-rings instead of round metal rings for the cord to run through. The round ones seem to bunch up the fabric, and I'm afraid they may tear at some point. But I'm not really too worried, as he has a great guarantee: "If any Tuff River Stuff product fails to meet your expectations at any time it will be repaired or replaced free."

GenevaPinz
Switzerland

Post by GenevaPinz »

Great tops, as you probably found out already.

My side windows are removable (the transparent part), so I have curtains inside and outside with mosquito mesh fixed in between, the windows can be added on the outside with 4 straps at the corners and hook & loop all around. Good setup, even if it lets less light in than the stock windows because of the mosquito mesh, but it covers all possible uses, including sleeping in the back (which I have never done so far).
So if you have a choice and no use for the mosquito nets, you could order the same as my rear curtain, i.e. fixed plexi with curtains inside and outside.

Adding a zipper in the middle (712-style) might be an idea, you would just need 4 straps to keep each side rolled up inside of 3... No clue how much a half-rolled side would flap on the road, though.
Jan

'72 Pinzgauer 710M
Andre
United States of America

Post by Andre »

I can fab up a lockable hard top out of 20 ga steel for the same price if your looking for security. Images to come.
Fat Fabrications
2993 FM 1647
Winnsboro, TX. 75494
fatfabrications@yahoo.com
(903) 365-2332 shop
(951) 765-7224 mobile
Facebook.com/dokapinz6x6
Www.fatfabrications.com
TechMOGogy
Canada

Post by TechMOGogy »

Andre wrote:I can fab up a lockable hard top out of 20 ga steel for the same price if your looking for security. Images to come.
I could be interested in a hard top but with attachable soft sides - will wait for pictures
TechMOGogy
Canada

Post by TechMOGogy »

Fentonite wrote:I recently got one of his tops. Very nicely done. I would like it if the windows were removeable, but they are not (I asked, and he said it didn't come the way). The only other thing I'd change, is to use D-rings instead of round metal rings for the cord to run through. The round ones seem to bunch up the fabric, and I'm afraid they may tear at some point. But I'm not really too worried, as he has a great guarantee: "If any Tuff River Stuff product fails to meet your expectations at any time it will be repaired or replaced free."
Does your top have loops like these or have they changed to just rings - can you post a close up shot?
Thanks,
2-11-2014 10-23-37 AM.jpg
2-11-2014 10-23-37 AM.jpg (30.18 KiB) Viewed 7404 times
pcolette
United States of America

Post by pcolette »

The rear top I had made last summer/fall came with just rings. The rubber cord holders like in your photo are still available from SAV but probably add a bit to the price. http://www.pinzgauer.com/showdetails.ph ... 111870181/
Paul C.
_________
'73 Swiss 710M
'89 Puch 230GE
krick3tt

Post by krick3tt »

Take the old ones off the top you are replacing and send them to Tuff River to use on your new top.
These things are not cheap.
Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him:
Fentonite
United States of America

Post by Fentonite »

TechMOGogy wrote:Does your top have loops like these or have they changed to just rings - can you post a close up shot?
Thanks,
2-11-2014 10-23-37 AM.jpg
Those rings are a much better option. Here's what I was talking about. See how the round ring is bunching up the webbing that's holding it? And also how it's twisting the webbing? Maybe it'll be fine, but I wonder if the stress will make it tear eventually.

Fentonite
United States of America

Post by Fentonite »

GenevaPinz wrote:Great tops, as you probably found out already.

My side windows are removable (the transparent part), so I have curtains inside and outside with mosquito mesh fixed in between, the windows can be added on the outside with 4 straps at the corners and hook & loop all around. Good setup, even if it lets less light in than the stock windows because of the mosquito mesh, but it covers all possible uses, including sleeping in the back (which I have never done so far).
So if you have a choice and no use for the mosquito nets, you could order the same as my rear curtain, i.e. fixed plexi with curtains inside and outside.

Adding a zipper in the middle (712-style) might be an idea, you would just need 4 straps to keep each side rolled up inside of 3... No clue how much a half-rolled side would flap on the road, though.
I wish he woulda been willing to make mine like that. Bummer.
krick3tt

Post by krick3tt »

Use 'D' rings. flat on the side that goes through the fabric loop. No bunching.
pcolette
United States of America

Post by pcolette »

krick3tt wrote:Use 'D' rings. flat on the side that goes through the fabric loop. No bunching.
I agree. Part 26-15-09, 7111870191. $2.09 each vs. over $8 each for the double loop ones. Unless of course you really like those other ones (7111870181).

'D' rings are also available in stainless at McMaster, 34905T91, $2.57 each but they may be too large.
Paul C.
_________
'73 Swiss 710M
'89 Puch 230GE
GenevaPinz
Switzerland

Post by GenevaPinz »

For D-rings, check www.strapworks.com, I always had good experiences ordering from them.

$1.30 for 3/4 inch stainless, add $0.50 if you want them powdercoated olive drab or black (or any color you want...).
Jan

'72 Pinzgauer 710M