sound deadening ideas

All things body, interior, paint, windows, tops... you know.
jbowen

sound deadening ideas

Post by jbowen »

Im close to making a 710k my own and wanted to get some feedback on the use of dynamat and other sound damping products.
my first question is where to put the products for greatest results. Im hesitant to put anything in or on the floorboard for fear of trapping moisture...but....thats where much of the noise seems to originate....what have you guys done?

Have you tried applying anything to the underside of the truck?

Im going to add dynamat and some foam to the walls and headliner but that doesnt address the issue exactly. What works best inside the doghouse?

Also has anyone tried an air mattress in the back? What size fits? Any rear 710k pics with camping mods are greatly appreciated!

Thanks...this forum is fantastic!

Jonathan
Future 710k owner
I want a 710K!!
crcpinz

Re: sound deadening ideas

Post by crcpinz »

I place what they call "horse mats"on all the floors and a plain rubber mat on top of them, but I guess any thick rubber mat will do. Noise is something you get used to, especially if you travel alone. I think that the gears and not the engine make up most of the noise, but make sure the doghouse gaskets are OK. Synthetic oil can do wonders to the wheel drives, although some don't recommend it because of leaking potential to the drums. Also, there is a pin on the gearbox rear support to the central "tube" that will become silent when fitted with a very short piece of thick rubber hose of the right size; please do a search on this. You can take this support off without much of a hassle to do this mod. I have the rear of my K filled up with every conceivable item including sandbags for weight and that seems to help too. Enjoy your truck.
Si vis pacem, para bellum
1976 710K
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000163282080
krick3tt

Post by krick3tt »

I have used a product that is often used to line the valleys of roofs. It is sticky bitumen on one side and metal foil on the other. Not sure of the name but it can be sourced at home improvement stores or roofing supply stores.
It can then be painted to match your vehicle. The pinz is a tin can and every bare or uncoated surface vibrates and creates sound. Dampening that bare metal helps. I did not use something like Dynamat as it is porous and will hold water. I have rubber mats in the back with a very nice Persian rug over that, beauty and sound deadening.

Post where you are...go to the profile and let us know about you.

PM sent.
Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him:
better take a closer look at the American Indian.---Henry Ford
Pinz710m2

Post by Pinz710m2 »

I am also in the beginning stages of fixing up mine. Last night I
removed the front floor panels and cleaned them up. You'll find that
right underneath them is a prime area for sound deadening. I
used Dynamat on the underside of the aluminum panels, and
if you trim it just right, it acts as the gasket that keeps them from
rattling. Also, I intend on getting some roll-on bed-liner and
covering the area underneath the floor panels. You won't even
be able to see it, but the road noise is right under your feet and
makes a big difference in the cab. It also has to be waterproof
because the drain holes are right there.

Also, I've already got the aluminum plate door unfinished (silver)
panels sitting in my living room, and as soon as I get them
powder coated black, the Dynamat will be put on the back of those too.

More places to sound deaden: I cleaned out the air tunnel of all
the rotten foam. It will be insulated and covered with a more updated
sound deadening material. The panels right behind the driver have
some sound deadening material on them ... but it could be better.
audiocontr
United States of America

Post by audiocontr »

I had a horse mat once in the back. Trapped moisture and caused surface rust.

I cut it up and use it around the house.
1973 712m
1968 Haflinger
1965 Pathfinder
1978 GMC Palm Beach (Hey, its got 6 wheels!!)
SeattleTom

Post by SeattleTom »

I had a thick rubber mat in the back of mine which helped with the noise but water always seemed to be trapped under it - I took it out for now.

Here is something that I noticed while checking out the Gut Automobile's hunting Pinzgauer project:

michaelh712

Post by michaelh712 »

Yes, a Pinz really is a tin can, but can be tamed quite a bit. I first rolled truck bed liner beneath the floor boards, then glued 1" foam beneath the aluminum boards. There always seems to be a lot of dirt, leaves etc. that collect there so I didn't want anything to prevent me from just hosing that area out. I also rolled truck bed liner under the seats and all of the flat panels. That alone helped cut down the vibrations. I then glued 1/4 " rubber sheets to the flat surfaces, then glued marine carpet onto that.
For the doors, I have aluminum panels as the originals were shot. I painted the inside of the doors with rust bullit to take care of some rust issues, then painted bed liner over that.I then attached some bitumen sheets to the outside surfaces I could reach and on the inside of the aluminum door skins as well. This transformed the doors completely. They now close with a" thud" rather than a clang as before. I also have a tuff river top.

The bitumen sheets are easy to find and use. Mine were from a roll of Ice and Water Shield, a roofing product that is self adhesive on one side and smooth on the other, a poor manns Dynamat. It cuts easy and you just press it on to stick.

In the back I fixed some rust problems with rust bullit on the floor and under the seats, then trowlled on plastic roof cement. Ithen covered the floor area with aluminum diamond plate, as my floor was sort of funky.

On the insides in the back, I repeated the rust bullit paint, bed liner, then ice and water shild sheets over that, and then also boxed in the sides with aluminum sheets also covered on the insides with the bitumen.

Totally transformed the truck sound wise. I can actually enjoy my stereo/subwoofer setup in the from and back and can carry on a conversation as well. In addition, It gets pretty cold here in Utah and the truck is significantly warmer now.
Sounds like a lot of work, but definitely worth it.
Michaelh712
michaelh@updc.org
Educational Anarchist
jbowen

Post by jbowen »

"I also rolled truck bed liner under the seats and all of the flat panels. That alone helped cut down the vibrations. I then glued 1/4 " rubber sheets to the flat surfaces, then glued marine carpet onto that. "

Do you mean under the floor board or the flat area where the seat mounts?

The rubber sheets you mentioned...were those installed on the floor or walls roof ( not sure if you have k or m)

Thanks for all the tips!
I want a 710K!!
Pinz710m2

Post by Pinz710m2 »

I was underneath the truck a lot today while I replaced the old vent tubing with SCEET tubing.
There are a lot of places underneath that can be sound deadened, but it looks like the best
way it to do it by hand, with a small roller and bedliner/soundproofing. A small 3 inch roller
would help cover the areas where you have access, and avoid covering nuts and bolts when
possible. It's on my to-do list.
michaelh712

Post by michaelh712 »

I have a 712M. I attached the rubber sheeting on the flat panels under the seats and the angled panels towards the floor. I also attached a piece under the aluminum floorboard, but only berliner under the floorboards so that they could be flushed out with a hose. The berliner/rubber sheeting/marine carpeting have held up well for several years with no lifting or rust underneath, even though many hosings.
Michaelh712
michaelh@updc.org
Educational Anarchist
VinceAtReal4x4s
Admin
United States of America

Post by VinceAtReal4x4s »

You may want to look at what I did here. viewtopic.php?f=9&t=7824
Keep anything that sticks off the floors. You want something like the stuff I used on the floors which you can just pull up to clean under. The last two materials here: http://www.heco.net/noise.html

What a lot of people don't think of when it comes to this subject is the ceiling. Use some dyn. panels in select areas then make a full headliner with a soft surface, like tight auto carpet. Next make some wall panels and cover them. All of this will absorb the sound waves.

The best alternative to Dynamat I found is Rattle Trap. You get a lot more for the money and its as good or better than the extreme dyn material. I have been using it for a long time and it is proven.

I also used the new shockproof Redline oils in the diffs/transfer and hubs which helped too.
"For those who risk, life has a flavor the protected shall never enjoy"

Your donation makes this site possible!

rmel
United States of America

Post by rmel »

Good stuff Vince, not to mention Redline,I'll give that a try at the next vital fluids change,
I've been a Lucas guy which seems to be pretty good on the gear noise front but I'll take
every db of noise reduction I can find.

Noise deadening is an interesting problem. There's really two major contributions to noise
in our cab's -- Vibrational and Transmitted. You really have to attack both components and
the materials are different for each and your options will vary depending upon where your
trying to plug the leaks -- noise that is.

A flat metal surface can act like a speaker, resonate and inject noise in the cab. The best
product out there to prevent vibration are CLD tiles -- Constrained Layer Vibration Damper.
Basically about a 3mm thick butyl rubber, sticky on one side with 4 to 5 mils of aluminum foil
on the other. I have applied this material on the walls of my 710K with amazing results.
After which a rap on the side is like hitting a pot belly stove. Next you have to stop the
transmission of noise -- that takes mass. A thick closed cell foam under a heavy vinyl barrier.
The more mass the higher the STC rating which tells you how good the material is. You apply
the mass loaded stuff right over the CLD tiles as a one two punch.

Cascade Audio even has a product with Lead foil as a dampener sandwiched between closed
cell foam. I have this on my floors and this stuff is pretty heavy but effective.

I like the products from Second Skin Audio, they have STC values on their products, there's
a lot of competitive products out there, but if they don't have a spec you really don't know what
your getting.

I have sheets of mass loaded material in the foot wells, made sure there are drain holes but I
do pull this stuff out and do a general cleaning from time to time.

The dog house has different challenges. You can't use the noise dampening materials there
due to the obvious temperature limitations of closed cell materials, vinyl and so on. So you are
limited to using heat reflective materials which have a low STC rating but it's better than nothing.
I did find a product that was a multilayer of mass loaded and heat reflective but it was too darn
thick at about 1".