rub rails

All things body, interior, paint, windows, tops... you know.
Brickren
United States of America

Re: rub rails

Post by Brickren »

Know what they say.."Without pics, it didn't happen".... Just teasing. When you can, tho, I would like to see pictures. I'm doing mine this year and want options. Thanks. Brian
1975 710M
2000 Ural Tourist
Bruce Berger

Post by Bruce Berger »

I picked up the tubular steel rub rails from the power coater today that Andre Swanson made for some months ago. I think they came out pretty well. I found that they actually make it easier to get in and out despite having to go over them. They give you something to grab on to. Now the next big project will be painting the rest of the body someday.

Bruce Berger
'72 Pinzgauer 710M 2.6i
mit Beck-LaGuardia Elektronischer Einspritzung
Shovel Bum

Post by Shovel Bum »

Just saw the pic on Facebook. I really like the color combo, actually. Looks awesome!
Bruce Berger

Post by Bruce Berger »

The rub rails and door uppers are Tiger Drylac Sierra Tan powder coat. The front bumper is painted with Krylon Flat Cammo Tan. They are pretty close in color with the Krylon being slightly darker. Its hard to see unless they are right next to each other. I also did the dash and locker console in the tan powder coat to dress up the interior a little. It my way of customizing the Pinzi without getting too far from the original military look.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Bruce Berger
'72 Pinzgauer 710M 2.6i
mit Beck-LaGuardia Elektronischer Einspritzung
gorsko
Bulgaria

Post by gorsko »

Got some rails run off to replace my rotted-out originals. Done in the original beech (at least, mine were beech) tho' unfortunately only 2 metre lengths available in the best quality, so they'll be 2-piece. My thinking is that I can replace half a rail if (when!) damaged... Got 100m (enough for 12 712's) so if anyone's interested...
Attachments
IMG_20150528_184718~2.jpg
IMG_20150528_184718~2.jpg (947.96 KiB) Viewed 7232 times
1975 712M (AMB)
1993 Defender 90 (200TDi)
1985 Uaz 469B
1982 Luaz 969 "the Russian Haflinger"
JimmyC

Post by JimmyC »

Love the way Bruce's go all the way forward. My advice for fasteners is to stay away from stainless unless you want to take advantage of its cracking or galling properties. Regular zinc or cadmium plating is pretty good. If you want better than that use McMaster's "Ultra Corrosion Proof".
Jim Chance
710M

All my post fully incorporate the Dunning-Kruger effect
63rover
Canada

Post by 63rover »

I finally have a photo of last summer's handy-work. The new rails are white oak with tung oil finish. The finish is perfect. If it starts to fade I just add more oil and wipe the excess of the next day. Screws are now stainless and missing trapped nuts have been replaced with hollow center rivets that have the correct metric tread already in them. Used a very cool kit I found in Ottawa at Princess Auto.

Added the black accents too.

Cheers, Clive
Attachments
rails.png
rails.png (906.85 KiB) Viewed 7079 times
audiocontr
United States of America

Post by audiocontr »

tell me more of these rivets??

And how did you figure out where to drill the holes in the wood?
1973 712m
1968 Haflinger
1965 Pathfinder
1978 GMC Palm Beach (Hey, its got 6 wheels!!)
JimmyC

Post by JimmyC »

When I did mine I measured the spacing with a metric ruler than pulled a metric tap from first to last. They were evenly spaced at some thing round like 200 mm. I marked the wood and drilled it with a drill press with a machinist vice. I had to drill a few of them oversize when I fitted it but only a little bit. It was actually harder to find the center of the rail than the right longitudinal spacing.
Jim Chance
710M

All my post fully incorporate the Dunning-Kruger effect
Jimm391730
United States of America

Post by Jimm391730 »

tell me more of these rivets??
Also known as riv-nuts, rivet nuts, etc.: http://www.mcmaster.com/#94020a383/=xxv5bj. Not sure if this is the correct size for the rub rails, but you can get the idea.
Jim M.
712W and 710M
63rover
Canada

Post by 63rover »

This is lighter version of mine but does the same thing.

http://www.princessauto.com/en/detail/4 ... -p2925204e

As said the holes are evenly spaced. A forstner bit took care of the counter sink. I used stainless machine screws and stainless washers too.

Cheers, Clive
TechMOGogy
Canada

Post by TechMOGogy »

Here is an old post by Ed that links to some cool hole finding tools!
Would be very helpful for side rails (mainly metal ones but could make something to work on thicker wood)
viewtopic.php?p=64352#p64352

Gorsko - your beech rails are nice!! (100 meters will do a lot of Pinz!!)
Clive - white oak makes sense and oiled look rocks on the camo
72 Pathfinder | 75 710M 2.7i | 96 350GDT Worker
dadnova
United States of America

Post by dadnova »

I beefed up mine and kept going.

I have the full set of original rub rails for the 710K, sanded and stained so the wood grain shows.
If your interested just PM me and we can work something out.
Attachments
Pinz cage 010.JPG
Pinz cage 010.JPG (48.85 KiB) Viewed 6935 times
undysworld
Norway

Post by undysworld »

dadnova wrote:I beefed up mine and kept going.

I have the full set of original rub rails for the 710K, sanded and stained so the wood grain shows.
If your interested just PM me and we can work something out.
:idea: You probably would have more success selling these if you posted them in the Classified forum.
GenevaPinz
Switzerland

Post by GenevaPinz »

Reviving a thread here, as I had posted two years ago about my plans to replace my steel U-channel rub rails with rubber, in the same spirit as the factory rub rails on the TD Pinzgauers. I did just that last year, but never shared it here, and with a picture being worth a thousand words:

This kind of rubber profile is usually installed on loading docks, and is sold by the meter. In order to avoid the rubber sagging between the bolts, I added a length of stainless steel plate inside the profile, which you can see at the end of the rail. The rubber is in one piece, while the steel plate is in two pieces for ease of handling. The main advantages compared to my previous rails are the lighter weight, the absence of rust (my U-channels always started showing rusty spots next to the fasteners after a few months), the fact that water and dirt cannot get trapped between the rails and the truck's body, and lastly, when jumping out of the truck from the front seats, the much gentler feel on my underside... :oops: :mrgreen:
Jan

'72 Pinzgauer 710M