Sources for rear bench seats or alternative

All things body, interior, paint, windows, tops... you know.
Jake2015
United States of America

Sources for rear bench seats or alternative

Post by Jake2015 »

Looking at a 712 that has no rear bench seats. Would like to either replace them without needing a second mortgage or finding an alternative. I want to be able to have the flat platform that the stock seats provide and seating is a second thought. I like the quick configuration change from seats with walk way to flat platform. I have only found them at Swiss Army and they are $500 each, which makes them a bit pricey. Thoughts?
Facebook: Southwest Pinzgauer
undysworld
Norway

Re: Sources for rear bench seats or alternative

Post by undysworld »

Call the various vendors and inquire about used seats.

Put up a "wanted" ad in the classifieds here. Do the same on other Pinz forums: yahoo, etc.

Buy yourself a "parts truck", keep the seats and sell parts to others.
audiocontr
United States of America

Post by audiocontr »

Hmmm. Honestly, don't buy a truck that doesn't have what you want. Hold out for the right one.

You'll need 6 seat frames and then cushions. All and all, you're in $3k even with a good deal.
1973 712m
1968 Haflinger
1965 Pathfinder
1978 GMC Palm Beach (Hey, its got 6 wheels!!)
pcolette
United States of America

Post by pcolette »

I've got 2 rear bench seats available but shipping is the problem. Bulky, hard to pack and a bit on the heavy side.

You might try Dennis at Linden Engineering in Golden, CO. He may still have some left in his used inventory.
Paul C.
_________
'73 Swiss 710M
'89 Puch 230GE
pinzinator

Post by pinzinator »

Make your own, it should be simple and a LOT less expensive. The frames would not be rocket science, they could be made of bent tubing for the back (ask Andre) or plywood. Cushions are easy, too.
undysworld
Norway

Post by undysworld »

Maybe... It could be done. But I don't think it would be that easy.

Getting the bed to lay flat when folded requires some pretty precise geometry. Bending the tubing and not kinking it would require the proper equipment and technique, plus accurate measurement/s. To do it repeatedly you'd better have a jig, be very good, or both.

The treadwell, or diamond plate, or whatever it's called is really nice for non-slip characteristics. I'd think you'd want to use something similar. Any type of steel seems pricey these days. Plus you have to get it cut nicely. Not everybody has a shears that can cut that.

The plywood back has a rabbet. No biggie, but an extra step. Plus it's multi-ply plywood. I used Baltic Birch when I made some up.

Plus you could just tuck the corners of fabric, but to sew corners like original would take a capable machine plus time.

Add the cost of decent foam, hinges, tubing and square stock and miscellaneous stuff.

It could be done. I'm just not sure that it should be done, and I'm not sure but that $500 per seat isn't a bargain. ???

Yikes! :shock:
Andre
United States of America

Post by Andre »

The metric, rectangular tubing is almost 1 1/8" x 3/4" in standard measurements. If you were to build out of 3/4" sqr tubing, you could build 2 bench frames for $20 in steel.

If you are close to the south west or north east, 5 bar tread plate is available at $200 for a 4' by 16' sheet, 11ga thick. Easily cut with a circular saw with a carbide tipped blade(steady as she goes, use WD40)

1/2 or 3/4" EMT can be bent to act as back rests.

The challenge is matching the geometry of the round tubing so it sets in the corner of the foot well thus setting flat when down.

the second challenge is getting brackets to line up with the side panels to secure while in the up possition. still may have to spend some $ to get the friction pins and sockets(unless you don't mind adhesive backed velcro.

cushions run $100 each(bottom and back), manufactured new(wood,fabric, and foam), in the color of your choice.

all doable.
Fat Fabrications
2993 FM 1647
Winnsboro, TX. 75494
fatfabrications@yahoo.com
(903) 365-2332 shop
(951) 765-7224 mobile
Facebook.com/dokapinz6x6
Www.fatfabrications.com
goranvolvo

Post by goranvolvo »

pinzinator wrote:Make your own, it should be simple and a LOT less expensive. The frames would not be rocket science, they could be made of bent tubing for the back (ask Andre) or plywood. Cushions are easy, too.
that is what i m thinkin i did look at it and it is not that har so if i dont find one i will endup pakin one i do have all tols needed for the job all i need some time :)
pinzinator

Post by pinzinator »

I installed new front seat cushions today using the original frames. I have the matching rears, too, just not installed yet.

Hotzenplotz
Austria

Post by Hotzenplotz »

Folks

they are available here:

http://pinzgauer-ersatzteile.webnode.at ... pinzgauer/

Cheeres

Albert
Cheers
Albert
========================
My Pinz has NEVER been with any army
krick3tt

Post by krick3tt »

Thanks Albert. I would require an English translated version to really know what is price. My German is limited to please and thank you.
Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him:
better take a closer look at the American Indian.---Henry Ford
Hotzenplotz
Austria

Post by Hotzenplotz »

try this one :-)

https://translate.google.com/translate? ... t=&act=url

the grammar is ugly, but you should get what you want ....
Cheers
Albert
========================
My Pinz has NEVER been with any army