Front door window channel drains

All things body, interior, paint, windows, tops... you know.
JimmyC

Front door window channel drains

Post by JimmyC »

One thing that I find aggravating on my truck is that rain water from the window channel collects on the bottom flange of the upper door and sprays you when you shut the door. I pulled the window channel out expecting to find some plugged drain and missing caulk, but there seems to be no provision for the window channel to drain other than leak into the cab at the front and back.

I went own SVA's page and see that there is an alternate locking rail (part that holds the bottom of the glass) that has a provision for a drain. I am tempted to buy a pair.

Does anybody have these? If so, can you tell e how the drain hose is routed?

Link to parts page: http://www.pinzgauer.com/parts.php?cat= ... view=28-10

Jimmy C
Jim Chance
710M

All my post fully incorporate the Dunning-Kruger effect
Profpinz
Australia

Re: Front door window channel drains

Post by Profpinz »

Later model Pinzgauers have a drain incorporated as standard .....it can be retrofitted.
Peter

1974, 712 6X6 Pinzgauer
1983, 710-1.6 4X4 Pinzgauer
1997, 718 6X6 Pinzgauer (in pieces)
1971, 700 Haflinger
1974, 703 LWB Haflinger
2001, Range Rover

http://www.ozpinz.com
JimmyC

Post by JimmyC »

Any idea how the hose was mounted and what parts I need other than the new style locking rail?
Jim Chance
710M

GenevaPinz
Switzerland

Post by GenevaPinz »

JimmyC wrote:Any idea how the hose was mounted and what parts I need other than the new style locking rail?
The whole thing is quite tempting, also because my doors seem to rust much quicker than the rest of the truck and this could be one of the reasons, but over $300 for both sides locking rail is quite steep in typical OEM-Steyr-part fashion...
Jan

'72 Pinzgauer 710M
JimmyC

Post by JimmyC »

The prices do seem high to me, but the price of everything seems high. I am sort of thinking about just adding a drain tube to mine, but mine are pretty corroded. Also I think about the time it would take to fabricate and how nice it would be to spend that time driving the truck, hiking, or playing with the grand kids.
Jim Chance
710M

krick3tt

Post by krick3tt »

Jim,

I bought the bottom rails with the drain in them when I lived in WA as it rains a bit there from time to time. Same your money...they are expensive and totally worthless.

If you PM me your email I can send you photos of my arrangement for doing the drains a bit more practically and perhaps save you some money.

Morris
Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him:
better take a closer look at the American Indian.---Henry Ford
David Dunn
United States of America

Post by David Dunn »

I never liked the idea of draining water INTO the door lower, a great way to have them corrode from the inside, especially when the door drains become plugged.
If I still had a gasser Pinz, I might do something similar to the TDs and machine slots on the side of the doors tops at the base of the lower track at 3 places and drain the water out there . You would also need to cut slots in the tracks at the appropriate places and seal the joint under the track and track ends. Lastly, the cutouts MUST be slots, round holes will not drain.
The Trojan Horse... the 1st Pinz used to covertly carry troops into battle .

ATL Pinzgauer XM 718K TUM(HD) 6x6 FFR (aka The Green Grail)
TechMOGogy
Canada

Post by TechMOGogy »

krick3tt wrote:Jim,

I bought the bottom rails with the drain in them when I lived in WA as it rains a bit there from time to time. Same your money...they are expensive and totally worthless.

If you PM me your email I can send you photos of my arrangement for doing the drains a bit more practically and perhaps save you some money.

Morris
Morris' solution is a great one!
72 Pathfinder | 75 710M 2.7i | 96 350GDT Worker
krick3tt

Post by krick3tt »

On a side note...I have the original window channels that I replaced with the expensive deeper ones.

They are not rusted and in fine shape if someone wants to make me an offer for them, I will consider it. I do not intend to put them back as the ones I purchased are installed and they are in there for good now.

I will also make a trade for door hinges if someone has a complete set of all four for the front doors. I would prefer to trade for the hinges if they are in good shape and not bent or rusted.

The deeper channels have a drain pipe as an original piece and the instructions mention draining through the door to the door bottom. I found that a bit useless as it does not allow for removal of the door tops for summer.

I am following this thread and not posting this in the for sale part of the forum, please excuse the misplaced item.
Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him:
better take a closer look at the American Indian.---Henry Ford
JimmyC

Post by JimmyC »

I installed the deep rail with the drain today. I used quite a bit of calk as otherwise it would leak in several places. I ran the drain hose down inside the door to just above the bottom. there is a big drain hole in the door so I think it will be OK.

It was a pretty easy job. The only thing that was difficult was getting the caulk everywhere it needed to be without getting it on everything.

Will hit it with the hose in the morning and see what I got.
Jim Chance
710M