Windshield down driving adventures or how to break a windshi

All things body, interior, paint, windows, tops... you know.
Brickren
United States of America

Windshield down driving adventures or how to break a windshi

Post by Brickren »

Hello. Does anyone drive with their windshield down? I have been doing it for the last several days. I did not like how the windshield rested on the headlight guards, so I put rubber stops on the corners of the guard and the windshield frame rested on them. But I had a problem. Going through some brush, a large branch hit the corner of the windshield (Ok, it was a tree.) while it was folded down and flexed the windshield frame and broke my windshield. What I think a better solution would be to get some bar stock and make a-rod to go into the corner of the windshield where the top removable frame piece goes in and then bend the rod 90° and have a mount through a tube on the bumper where I can drill a hole and put a pin in. This would raise the windshield just off the headlight guards and support the outer edges. Anybody have any thoughts on this? Has anybody done something similar so I have maybe something better to go with that somebody else has designed? Thank you. Brian.
1975 710M
2000 Ural Tourist
David Dunn
United States of America

Re: Windshield down driving adventures or how to break a win

Post by David Dunn »

First thing, the Swiss Pinzes were never intended to have their w/s folded! They were ordered with different headlamp guards and none of the tiedown/ frame supports. I'm surprised you didn't break it against the lamp guards ... Or the w/s didn't bounce out.

The original brackets mounted next to the headlamps and were spring loaded and grabbed the w/s frame when folded and held it firmly. There have been a bunch of methods used by others in past, but the key is to hold the frame firmly and not let it bounce, or you have a good chance to have the glass bounce out. :shock:
Original hardware is hard to find, but suitable replacements can be made
The Trojan Horse... the 1st Pinz used to covertly carry troops into battle .

ATL Pinzgauer XM 718K TUM(HD) 6x6 FFR (aka The Green Grail)
TechMOGogy
Canada

Post by TechMOGogy »

Check out the stock Austrian windshield holders
They are $$$ so perhaps you could copy/fab something similar
#22 in group 22-7
http://www.pinzgauer.com/showdetails.ph ... 1721212/55
72 Pathfinder | 75 710M 2.7i | 96 350GDT Worker
GRCameron
United States of America

Post by GRCameron »

Sounds like hitting heavy brush (or a tree) would overpower any sort of bracket. Fortunately, is sounds like you saved the windshield frame ($850).

Just my opinion... If the windshield is up and you don't have the need for speed, you can usually see obstacles before they damage you.
George Cameron
Yarnell, AZ
1979 Pinz 710M
Molon Labe
David Dunn
United States of America

Post by David Dunn »

A long long time ago when there were tales that I did have Gas Pinzes :lol: , I did have a set of the brackets and all the assorted hardware that went with them. I know that I had given Jim the exterior arm assemblies ( can't remember if he put them on his truck or not :? ) but I know I kept the Puch logo knobs for the interior hinged (W/S frame) lock bars ( another part that a lot of Swiss Pinzes won't have, but some do) .

Unfortunately, any pics I had are long gone ( and no, they weren't petroglyphs ! :twisted: )

These pic do show the hardware

Not too hard to make, but the clip must hold the frame firm (the upper clip wraps around the edge of the frame and the spring loaded arm keeps it from jumping off. The top horizontal headlamp guard also has a large rubber pad to help protect the glass if you let the frame slip.

krick3tt

Post by krick3tt »

...granted that Pinzgauers are notoriously slow and even with the proper holders to keep the windscreen stable, I can see no reason to put the windscreen down.
I did it on my Mog once, only once and broke the glass. Never would do it on my pinz.

I do have one of Dave's tinted windscreens and would not sacrifice it for a bit more breeze ruffling the hair in my nose.
Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him:
better take a closer look at the American Indian.---Henry Ford
4x4Pinz
United States of America

Post by 4x4Pinz »

I don't think I have ever seen Scott R. offroad in his pinz with the windshield up. If anyone would have broken a windshield in the down position it would be Scott. Not something I would do as the desert plants around here tend to be less then friendly.
Attachments
100_0917 (Small).JPG
100_0917 (Small).JPG (98.77 KiB) Viewed 6884 times
David Dunn
United States of America

Post by David Dunn »

I enjoy sightseeing off road and and have done the same on road looking at Xmas lane displays.
The panoramic view is far better than looking around frames. I've done this on my 710 , 712, Haflinger , and the FDT.

Especially in canyons, panoramic views beats anything. :mrgreen:

IF done properly, the windshield are perfectly safe folded.
WHENEVER my Haffy hits the dirt, the windshield goes down.... except when morons are racing down the trails :evil:

I would fold the WS on my JK if it wasn't such a pita. Took a gf though Titus Canyon in Death Valley. She was taken by the view from inside the JK, and once she was standing on the seat looking out of the top, I had a heck of a time getting her to sit back down.

TechMOGogy
Canada

Post by TechMOGogy »

I always had the windshield in my Hafi down when I drove.
Some posted that it was illegal in some states to drive like that on the road.
I can't access via iPhone but Jim should have pics on his website in the galley of the brackets in his hands
72 Pathfinder | 75 710M 2.7i | 96 350GDT Worker
Brickren
United States of America

Post by Brickren »

Well I am glad to get some support on this. I could not imagine I was the only one. I'm going to try to post some pictures of what I plan to do. Its just a lot of fun being able to drive with the windshield down. One of the reasons I liked my CJ 5 was because you can pull the doors off drop the windshield. Granted I don't do the interstates like that, but if they weren't meant to go down, they would not have hinges. In Pennsylvania it is legal as long as you wear eye protection. And the looks of envy I get from Jeep owners is priceless. When I talk to jeep people, and we talked about this, I just explained that I used to own a Jeep but I've graduated to something better.
1975 710M
2000 Ural Tourist
krick3tt

Post by krick3tt »

Just because I would not put the windscreen down is not mean to say that I would ever dissuade anyone else from doing it. Just personal opinion. I say go for it. I have removable pins to take the doors off instead and that does create the indoor/outdoor feeling I want. I have too many things attached to the top inside the cab to allow for letting the windscreen down.
Attachments
CIMG3779.JPG
CIMG3779.JPG (118.4 KiB) Viewed 6842 times
Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him:
better take a closer look at the American Indian.---Henry Ford
Brickren
United States of America

Post by Brickren »

Here is what I think would be a better solution to supporting windshield while down.
Attachments
Penny_windshield_down with notes.jpg
Penny_windshield_down with notes.jpg (357.51 KiB) Viewed 6807 times
1975 710M
2000 Ural Tourist
Brickren
United States of America

Post by Brickren »

And here is another reason to "Drop your glass"
Attachments
Combat ready Jen headset resize600x800.jpg
Combat ready Jen headset resize600x800.jpg (393.07 KiB) Viewed 6803 times
1975 710M
2000 Ural Tourist
David Dunn
United States of America

Post by David Dunn »

If you were closer where I would have a continuous customer, I’d say go for.. but since you’re not, Here is how I see it.
I wouldn’t use the eye to suspend the windshield , nor would I use the bumperettes for a mounting point.

Using the eyes has a future possible failure of the thread or stripping from the frame due to vibrations and the frame falls . The Pinz bumpers aren’t the stiffest and if hit on one side and twist the frame… well, let’s say glass doesn’t react well with that. :roll:

The original setup mounts to the body and has a spring loaded channel that wraps around the frame to hold it firm. It appears you are depending on gravity to hold the frame in place… trust me, that won’t happen. Without use of positive fasteners to hold the frame firm, it will beat itself up until something gives ( glass has been known to fall out and be run over ). Good for me, bad for the owner. :D

An oversimplified solution is 2 rolls of paper towels set over the headlamp guards and a pair of tie straps from the base of the windshield frame down over the top edge and snug off at the body to hold the frame firm.

The not sooo hillybilly version might be a frame that uses the lamp guards fastener point, extends up to a point that a tube is mounted horizontally across the uprights and wrapped with something similar to pipe insulation ( just an example, I’d used something that is a little denser) . With the windshield down against the foam, fab tiedowns ( like a straps) and apply tension to hold everything firm. Lastly, tighten the bolts at the frame’s pivot point ( don’t trust the bolts by themselves, the frame will still move).

Now, if you go with a method that holds the frame, you should go to an auto glass shop and buy a tube of windshield urethane and put a layer on the inside of the windshield frame between the pinchweld and the gasket. It doesn't need to be anything pretty but a bond to hold the gasket in place. If you ever need to replace the windshield, cotter hey extractor ( hook tool, carpet tool in other trades) will easily peel the two apart. Do yourself a favor and don't use silicone, it'll release ifself within a couple years.