Tow pipe?

Build projects, things that guys have come up with to make a Pinz better (or worse?) and aftermarket add-ons.
Haf-e
United States of America

Re: Tow pipe?

Post by Haf-e »

I think it is probably the same guy - also think he is the one who has been selling the ex-serbian pinzgauers on Ebay recently?

There is a radiator behind the front tube bumper - similar to the 716/178 diesel pinzgauers.

The real challenge with doing similar diesel conversions here is finding a source for the 5 cylinder non-turbo mercedes diesels with a suitable manual transmission - they were not sold in the USA much (ignoring the car versions which don't have the low first gear) as most of the conversions I've seen have used mercedes van or gwagen engine/transmissions and are 4 speed due to the need for a short transmission case.

The four speeds transmissions also don't have an overdrive gear either - so that will severally limit the top speed on the highway.

I don't think you can easily adapt the existing Pinz transmission to a Mercedes diesel unfortunately...
Haf-e

1971 Pinzgauer 710M

Disc Brake Conversion Kits for 710 and 712 Pinzgauers
www.klugewerks.com
dadnova
United States of America

Post by dadnova »

I would think a single pole attachment would NOT work as the towed vehicle could go straight for some time after a turn, or to the right or left way to much.
I would use a tow bar like the old VW tow bars, with a double attachment at the towed vehicle to keep it behind the first vehicle. Built like a Y, it would keep rear vehicle behind the tow vehicle.
pinzinator

Post by pinzinator »

There is no way I would ever consider towing a Pinzgauer except on a trailer. To me, using a tow bar is just an bad accident waiting to happen. Plus, consider the wear on the wheel drives, which aren't made to take high speeds for extended periods.
Texas710
United States of America

Post by Texas710 »

That's what scares me about it, could you imagine something locking up or breaking off in a hub and you're just sitting up in the tow vehicle rocking out to the stereo?

I would hope you could hear/feel it if you were driving the pinz and do something about it, like stop.