24V System Charging Help

Build projects, things that guys have come up with to make a Pinz better (or worse?) and aftermarket add-ons.
BELied

24V System Charging Help

Post by BELied »

I'm looking for a way to float charge or just charge my batteries without having to disconnect them and remove them from the compartment every time. Is there any way to do this? Ideally I'd like to be able to have it like a diesel block warmer where I can pull a cord out of a vent somewhere and drag an extension cord out from the garage to the truck to give it a little maintenance every once in a while.
Jimm391730
United States of America

Re: 24V System Charging Help

Post by Jimm391730 »

Because I use Optima batteries on their sides, and mounted an air compressor between the batteries and the compartment door, I use some high-current Anderson Power Pole connectors (http://www.mcmaster.com/#8026k2/=10buxdm or similar) attached to the batteries with short leads so I can charge, give and get jumped by only opening the compartment.

I have three connectors: One at the most negative battery terminal, one at the junction between the batteries, and one at the most positive terminal. I coded these black, yellow, and red, respectively.

I used jumper cable wire between the battery and connector (with a ring terminal at the battery end) and kept the balance of the jumper cable length with the standard jumper clamps and put more connectors on the cut ends (black and red colored to match the clamps). I keep this in the compartment, too, and by connecting to the appropriate battery ends I can give or get a 24V jump, or give or get a 12V jump from either battery through the yellow connector (if you need a jump, and only have a 12V vehicle available to help, charge up one battery for 5 minutes, then change over to the other battery for the jump.). I have matching connectors on a battery charger.

There is no need to disconnect the truck wiring from the batteries when charging or giving/getting a jump start. But it does require that you ensure you connect to the same polarity and voltage when charging or jumping.
Jim M.
712W and 710M
aclark79
United States of America

Post by aclark79 »

http://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tender-02 ... B002DTV172

Is this what you mean? I have one of these hooked up to my 2 12v batteries and use it when I plan to leave it sitting for a while. I don't have mine mounted to the truck but it wouldn't be hard to do, then you could just plug it into an extension cord.
pcolette
United States of America

Post by pcolette »

Like aclark79 I use a Deltran Battery Tender but I found this one: http://amazon.com/Battery-Tender-022-01 ... ery+tender
81kOUfNHveL._SX522_.jpg
81kOUfNHveL._SX522_.jpg (27.26 KiB) Viewed 9208 times
It charges each battery independently which works out well since one battery always seems to need more charging than the other. It comes with 2 short wiring leads that you leave connected to the batteries. The Battery Tender than plugs into those leads when you're ready to charge. Since its a battery maintainer it can be left connected for long periods of time if you want.
Paul C.
_________
'73 Swiss 710M
'89 Puch 230GE
ako

Post by ako »

I have a 12V Deltran that I have used on my motorbikes for years. You can get a few extra terminals for multiple vehicles and it plugs in in about 5 seconds. So easy.

I would be tempted to stay with a 12V unit and then you can apply to all your other vehicles and do the Pinz a half at a time (assuming the Pinz is not your only vehicle).
63rover
Canada

Post by 63rover »

I have the Battery Tender which comes with a long enough charging cable to run from the batteries out the front grill and tuck it end in behind the bumper. Just plug the charger in and you are set. It automatically minds the batteries so it can stay in whenever you wish and as long as you wish without overcharging. They are great chargers. I have 2 other 12 volt ones for others vehicles too.

Cheers, Clive
oilcan
United States of America

Post by oilcan »

What are the thoughts on venting the battery while using a float? I have 2 harbor freight units I hook up, and when I actually read the instructions it made me start removing the batteries from the unit and taking out their vent caps. Which is a huge pain needless to say...

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
edzz
United States of America

Post by edzz »

Normally with a float charger venting should not be needed. You are charging at a much, much lower rate than the truck normally recharges at using the alternator. I have no experience with the harbor freight unites however and don’t know how “intelligent” they are. I have been using the deltran battery tenders in 12v and 24v for years on cars, motorcycles, lawnmowers, and trucks without worrying about venting or over charging. Don’t know if the HF float chargers are smart enough to not cook a battery.
Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.
TechMOGogy
Canada

Post by TechMOGogy »

I own this one
https://no.co/genm2
72 Pathfinder | 75 710M 2.7i | 96 350GDT Worker
aclark79
United States of America

Post by aclark79 »

pcolette wrote:Like aclark79 I use a Deltran Battery Tender but I found this one: http://amazon.com/Battery-Tender-022-01 ... ery+tender
81kOUfNHveL._SX522_.jpg
It charges each battery independently which works out well since one battery always seems to need more charging than the other. It comes with 2 short wiring leads that you leave connected to the batteries. The Battery Tender than plugs into those leads when you're ready to charge. Since its a battery maintainer it can be left connected for long periods of time if you want.
I like that, I wonder if it would be worth switching to.
newtopinz
United States of America

Post by newtopinz »

Aside from driving the pinz regularly, what is the best way to keep it charged?
A 24 v tender, connected to the battery in series, in the truck?
2 12v tender connected individually to each battery out of the truck vs in the truck?
A 12 V tender connected to the batteries out of the truck connected in parallel?

Are all three options viable/safe?
rmel
United States of America

Post by rmel »

First, always keep the Battery Ground switch open when not in use.
In the Pinz leakage current due to oxidized terminals and 50 year
old wire insulation will provide a small but eventual leakage path
for discharge. Keep that switch open and you won't really need to
keep the batteries on a trickle charger. It would be a good practice
to top them off with a full 24V changer once a month or so.

If the batteries are Sulfated, then a constant charging may be
required but that's really time to consider a new set.
Puller: 71' 710K 2.7L EFI aka Mozo
Follower: Sankey MK 3, 3/4 Tonne
Rescue Pinz: 73' 712MK

Driver: Ron // KO0Q
Texas710
United States of America

Post by Texas710 »

One of my winter additions to the truck this year. I got tired of having to charge one battery at a time.

I went with the "NOCO Genius GENM2 8 Amp 2-Bank On-Board Battery Charger"

Made up a small mounting plate (attached to the bolts that go through to the tool box) and everything fits in the battery box with 2 yellow tops batteries.

All I have to do to charge the batteries, is open the box and plug in. We'll see how long it last being mounted in the truck, but fingers crossed.