Various Modifications...

Build projects, things that guys have come up with to make a Pinz better (or worse?) and aftermarket add-ons.
Haf-e
United States of America

Various Modifications...

Post by Haf-e »

Not to totally derail this thread but... Half-e your truck has some cool features beyond the galv rims! Rerouted exhaust with spark arrestor is interesting as are the top wooden rails - is that a comfort thing? Extra jerry can mounts etc
Hard top you have posted before. Would be cool if you posted info about your truck and your mods (new thread?)
Hey Dan - Thanks... They are all mods from a long time ago actually - early 2000s...

The wood "top" rails were done to allow the roll bar to be raised by 1.5 inches - the wood went under the front door windows as well - although that picture doesn't show them (I think they were being refinished). The bolted on receiver for the top's side edge rails on the windshield above the front door were switched side to side which allows for the additional height. The top's fabric has to be squished a little but it worked. The other idea was to add a 1.5 metal spacer under the front windshield but I never got around to that. You also missed that there is a removable sunroof mounted into the fabric top up in the front...

The dual rear water cans work only with a redesigned rear tire mount which lowered the wheel slightly and centered it on the door - then the tire doesn't hit the driver side holder when the door was opened. I also put a short wood rail on the back on each side of rear door for the tire to hit in place of the stock metal part. The glass rear hatch is hinged at the top and can be left partially open with it resting on the spare tire when driving for extra ventilation - it has a gas strut to hold it up when opened.

The spark arrestor was an experiment to see if tuning the back pressure would change the driving performance - didn't seem to make a big difference but did make it a bit quieter than what the aftermarket muffler produced on its own. The welded on flange for the spark arrestor did end up rusting so it isn't on there currently.
Attachments
Pinz rear 2 medium.jpg
Pinz rear 2 medium.jpg (952.33 KiB) Viewed 4056 times
Haf-e

1971 Pinzgauer 710M

Disc Brake Conversion Kits for 710 and 712 Pinzgauers
www.klugewerks.com
Haf-e
United States of America

Re: Various Modifications...

Post by Haf-e »

Here is another shot with the rear hatch in the partially open position. You can also see the small 14" x 14" boat hatch in the aluminum top.
Attachments
Pinz rear 3 - medium.jpg
Pinz rear 3 - medium.jpg (795.02 KiB) Viewed 4053 times
Haf-e

1971 Pinzgauer 710M

www.klugewerks.com
Haf-e
United States of America

Post by Haf-e »

And here is a shot from 2002 with an AC unit on the roof and solar panels on the driver's side. We did a trip from WA state to Southern California demonstrating a new 24 VDC to 120 VAC sinewave inverter unit which is what the air conditioner unit was for mostly (as a hard to start up load) - the stock engine alternator couldn't keep up with its consumption even while driving on the highway and made the Pinz more top heavy.
PInz with solar - medium.jpg
PInz with solar - medium.jpg (354.34 KiB) Viewed 4052 times
Under the solar panels there was a sign which said "WIRELESS TRANSMITTED THERMAL NUCLEAR FUSION RECEIVING ANTENNA" since it was a Military vehicle...
Haf-e

1971 Pinzgauer 710M

www.klugewerks.com
Jimm391730
United States of America

Post by Jimm391730 »

...sign which said "WIRELESS TRANSMITTED THERMAL NUCLEAR FUSION RECEIVING ANTENNA"
Cute. Bet it scared some people! Very nice mods, I didn't know about most of them.
Jim M.
712W and 710M
TechMOGogy
Canada

Post by TechMOGogy »

Thanks - some cool mods and a nice truck!
Dan
72 Pathfinder | 75 710M 2.7i | 96 350GDT Worker
Haf-e
United States of America

Post by Haf-e »

Jimm391730 wrote:
...sign which said "WIRELESS TRANSMITTED THERMAL NUCLEAR FUSION RECEIVING ANTENNA"
Bet it scared some people!
I actually drove across the US/Canada border with that sign on the side multiple times - always wondered if they would notice... never had them say anything... but they always liked the truck.
Haf-e

1971 Pinzgauer 710M

www.klugewerks.com
Brickren
United States of America

Post by Brickren »

I like the shackle thru the hitch. I have a tow strap inserted in hitch held in by the hitch pin. Shackle would work, also. Like the wood, and spark arrestor.
1975 710M
2000 Ural Tourist