1972 Search & Rescue Pinz (*warning* picture heavy)

Build projects, things that guys have come up with to make a Pinz better (or worse?) and aftermarket add-ons.
GadgetPhreak
United States of America

Re: 1972 Search & Rescue Pinz (*warning* picture heavy)

Post by GadgetPhreak »

I added L-track to the cross members on my roof rack, added webbing to hold SAR packs in place, and mounted my antennas on quick release brackets that allow me to fold them down when not in use.

I added a cap for the stock antenna mount and used some blue sea systems grommets to run my antenna cable into my radio console.

I also moved my seat belts in the rear to L-track and mounted some track on the floor to provide tie down points for cargo management. I’ll get some pictures of those later and post them up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
King County Search & Rescue | Regional Special Vehicles Unit
1972 710M - Building up for SAR use
Follow my build, learn more, or contact me: http://www.sarpinz.com
GadgetPhreak
United States of America

Post by GadgetPhreak »

Latest round of projects finished.

Swapped the mud flaps out for custom shortened UHMW flaps and added another splash of red to carry the theme. Also flush mounted a KC HiLiTES cyclone LED in the spare tire as a third brake light. I still need to wire it in to the brake circuit. And switched the pintle hitch out for a standard receiver hitch and inserted a Carr folding step that flips down for easier access to the rear.

Mounted the Outer Limit Supply First aid kit to the rear door for easy access and moved my fire extinguisher to the door. You can see the flip down step in this shot.

Added additional bracing to the rear panels to help tighten things up. Joe at Mule Expedition Outfitters came up with the awesome idea to cut in the L-track style groove so I could add tie down points up higher as well. They work great! If you’re interested in a set call and talk to Joe, he has the files saved and can easily cut and bend a set up for you. He shaped them to clear my @swagoffroad ammo can mounts so I didn’t lose any functionality.

In the spirit of the old Saint Bernard Rescue dog I added an important feature to the Pinz, a bottle opener.

Just as I was wrapping up some projects today the call came out for a mission so headed straight up to the pass and had the chance to give the latest round of changes a shakedown. Overall it was a good day. Tomorrow a group of us are headed up for a Christmas tree run.

Be safe and keep the rubber side down ;-)

Ben

VinceAtReal4x4s
Admin
United States of America

Post by VinceAtReal4x4s »

Those tires look a hell of a lot more functional than the fat ones you had.
"For those who risk, life has a flavor the protected shall never enjoy"

Your donation makes this site possible!

GadgetPhreak
United States of America

Post by GadgetPhreak »

VinceAtReal4x4s wrote:Those tires look a hell of a lot more functional than the fat ones you had.
They fit and work much, much better. The others were definitely too big. The Coopers have been outstanding on snow so far. Really pleased with them.

Haf-e
United States of America

Post by Haf-e »

There was also a 1.5 inch spacer lift added to the front end when the new tires were installed - so that might make the tires look a bit smaller. I agree that these are a better fit - not as many narrow tires for 17 inch wheels and then these Trail Ready beadlocks are 8.5" wide too.

I'll do a write up on how this was lifted soon - I've done it on my Pinz as well and it is very easy and cheap and seems to work well for those with heavy bumpers and/or winches.
Haf-e

1971 Pinzgauer 710M

Disc Brake Conversion Kits for 710 and 712 Pinzgauers
www.klugewerks.com
pinzi
Belgium

Post by pinzi »

Do they finaly listen.....told you needs spacers :mrgreen: :wink:
off-road until i die
GadgetPhreak
United States of America

Post by GadgetPhreak »

Chris’ spacer solutions was simple and brilliant. Leveled the Pinz out nicely. It’s been fantastic living fairly close to someone who has his experience and passion for these machines.

TechMOGogy
Canada

Post by TechMOGogy »

Why did you need extra bracing in the rear?
72 Pathfinder | 75 710M 2.7i | 96 350GDT Worker
audiocontr
United States of America

Post by audiocontr »

GadgetPhreak wrote:Chris’ spacer solutions was simple and brilliant. Leveled the Pinz out nicely. It’s been fantastic living fairly close to someone who has his experience and passion for these machines.

Spacers???
1973 712m
1968 Haflinger
1965 Pathfinder
1978 GMC Palm Beach (Hey, its got 6 wheels!!)
Haf-e
United States of America

Post by Haf-e »

The front end was lifted up by about 1 inch using an "off-the-shelf" rigid metallic conduit threaded coupling - 1.5" trade size - available from any electrical supply store. Don't confuse it with the regular "EMT" metal conduit which is much thinner and doesn't use threads - RMC has much thicker walls and has a heavier galvanized coating also. Here is an image:

The actual inner diameter of the part is about 2 inches. It fits around the normal / stock upper spring mount and fits nicely into the stamped sheet metal cup on the top of the front spring.

The spacer does transfer the load to just the rectangular metal frame instead of having it all on the small welded on stub - but I haven't seen an issue with it after about 6 months of use. The upper spring cup also is now fixed - it doesn't pivot like it does with the original design - but that is also how the later TD Pinzgauers where done. I think the ability for the spring cup to pivot is necessary at the bottom of the spring - but not at the top.

An additional benefit of adding the spacer is that it is then much easier to install the spring compressing tool as there is now a nice 1 inch space at the top of the spring. Makes it easier to clean out dirt etc as well.

No other modifications are necessary - but it does feel like the rubber bump stops (rubber springs) are more "active" compared to before - which makes sense since effectively they are now 1 inch longer. I have another pair of these rubber springs and am going to trim off 3/4" from the bottom to see if it makes any difference. I only feel it on big bumps at higher speeds and it is not that severe - just slightly different.

I'll look at the actual part numbers on the ones I used and will post it up here along with the dimensions. It is also possible to do this with regular steel tube or pipe cut to length - but this part seems to be a very good fit and is hot dipped galvanized and cheap (under $5 each).

This approach of using a piece of pipe/tubing as a spacer was mentioned on this forum a while ago - so I am not the originator of the idea...
Haf-e

1971 Pinzgauer 710M

Disc Brake Conversion Kits for 710 and 712 Pinzgauers
www.klugewerks.com
4x4Pinz
United States of America

Post by 4x4Pinz »

I used schedule 40 pipe to make my spacers. Simple and can be cut to the exact length needed for a perfect fit.
BobbyD
United States of America

Post by BobbyD »

TechMOGogy wrote:Why did you need extra bracing in the rear?
It is common that the port side square panel "fails". The actual part that fails is the metal extension (that is on the side closest to the door opening that inserts down into the body) "unwields". While it does not fall out, this makes it wobbley.

rb
1971 710K S
N2PNZ
4x4Pinz
United States of America

Post by 4x4Pinz »

First time I have ever heard of a failure. Any photos?
TechMOGogy
Canada

Post by TechMOGogy »

4x4Pinz wrote:First time I have ever heard of a failure. Any photos?
Same - I have never seen or heard of a body failure point.
Perhaps it due to new larger tires and all the accessories people are putting on their rear doors/rear hinges?
72 Pathfinder | 75 710M 2.7i | 96 350GDT Worker
4x4Pinz
United States of America

Post by 4x4Pinz »

Long ago I took all the stuff off the door, my Jeep experience taught me that the rear door is no place to hang things. I have seen other body points fail but not the rear panels, well except from rust.