camperized pinny

Build projects, things that guys have come up with to make a Pinz better (or worse?) and aftermarket add-ons.
Paul Gudmundson

camperized pinny

Post by Paul Gudmundson »

well i thought abut doing this for about 6 years now and last winter when work was slow it started. Had to put it a side when work picked up but yesterday i got it on where i can now drive the truck with it on. The back canvas top has seen better days so its been off for the duration of this build so yes it was chilly driving around this winter when i didn't feel like taking the cube van.
so the roof lifts up 41" and made it so that the bed can be set up and made when roof lowers for faster camp set up take down. I don't have the material for in between roof and body yet but was thinking of using the sunbrella product that is used on boats its waterproof and flexible .Also still need to put in a on board air system the front bumper has already been built for a air tank was thinking on Viair but just have not looked into what one yet
Haf-e
United States of America

Re: camperized pinny

Post by Haf-e »

Looks really well done. Are the walls insulated? Looks like plenty of height.

With the straight up design of the roof making the sides is practically a non-sew project. Add some bungie cord and it should pull in itself when closing.

Great job!
Haf-e

1971 Pinzgauer 710M

Disc Brake Conversion Kits for 710 and 712 Pinzgauers
www.klugewerks.com
Paul Gudmundson

walls are 1 1/2" aluminum tube with the pink insulation board in the spaces and ya had the same thought about sewing hooks for bungee cords to suck the fabric in when closing. a buddy had a pop up camper on his toyota and had trouble with the canvas not cooperating when closing so he added a exhaust fan to create a vacuum in the camper lol
Paul Gudmundson

does anyone know of a good on board 24v air compressor ?
TechMOGogy
Canada

Post by TechMOGogy »

I have not used this brand but have friends that have used the 12v versions.
http://aircompressors.oasismfg.com/item ... /item-1111

Big Amp draw and not sure what kind of specs your looking for, they have a few models.
72 Pathfinder | 75 710M 2.7i | 96 350GDT Worker
edzz
United States of America

Post by edzz »

http://viaircorp.com/

I have used a Viair 24v compressor with good results. I used mine without a tank to air up 2 33" tires at once using a "Y" hose with clamp on tire valve connectors. Would have been quicker with a tank however... tank no tank your choose.

I don't remember the model number as it went with the truck, IIRC it was rated for continuous use.

Would not hesitate to recommend.
Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.
4x4Pinz
United States of America

Post by 4x4Pinz »

Viair 24v here as well. very good compressor. have tank installed so I can use my air horns and tools but not needed for airing up tires (tank actually slows things down)
Haf-e
United States of America

Post by Haf-e »

If the tank starts out well pressurized - it should reduce airing up time. So compressor + tank should be faster than compressor alone.
Haf-e

1971 Pinzgauer 710M

Disc Brake Conversion Kits for 710 and 712 Pinzgauers
www.klugewerks.com
audiocontr
United States of America

Post by audiocontr »

Haf-e wrote:If the tank starts out well pressurized - it should reduce airing up time. So compressor + tank should be faster than compressor alone.
interesting discussion.

The only benefit i see is if the initial pressure of the tank is substantially higher than the tire, but that additional pressure is quickly equalized due to the high volume delta. After that point, you're now using the pump to raise the pressure of both the tire and the tank. Does that slow down the output post tank? and if so, by how much?
1973 712m
1968 Haflinger
1965 Pathfinder
1978 GMC Palm Beach (Hey, its got 6 wheels!!)
Jimm391730
United States of America

Post by Jimm391730 »

My opinion is that a tank should speed refilling the tires:
If the tank is already pressurized to tire pressure or more, it should speed the process as the compressor is doing work to fill the tank further during the time that the flow is stopped when going between tires. Even if the tank is empty, how long does it take your pump to bring the tank to tire pressure?
After that point, you're now using the pump to raise the pressure of both the tire and the tank.
If the tank had more pressure, initially, than the final tire pressure then it has added its pressure to refilling the tire - more so than just what the compressor has done. If the tank has the same initial pressure and ending pressure then it has not helped or hurt. So once the tank is up to tire pressure then it can only help, never hurt.

It may depend on the size of the tank and whether it is pre-pressurized or not. Taken to an extreme, bringing a 40 gallon tank from zero to 40psi is going to take a few minutes (or more, depending on your compressor). Filling an empty tank may be the equivalent of an addtional tire (or two, or half, depending on the size of the tank). But if the tank is already pressurized to tire pressure or higher, the tank will allow the compressor's work between tires (when no air is flowing out) to be stored in the tank as a higher pressure that will put air in the next tire faster.

But the real answer may just be that tanked or tankless doesn't make a big difference. It does depend on the individual set up, tank size, and compressor and tank maximum pressure.
Jim M.
712W and 710M
4x4Pinz
United States of America

Post by 4x4Pinz »

problem with a well pressurized tank is that the tank space in a pinz is not even large enough to fill one tire. If you had a 30 gallon tank things would be different but most tanks I have seen fall into the 2 gallon size. Even at 120psi you could not fill a single tire and then you would have to fill the tank plus tire. I know when I bypass my "small" tank the compressor is faster at filling tires as it only has to fill the volume of the tires and not the tank. To date the tank systems just add a complication that just is not justified unless there are other applications.
Jimm391730
United States of America

Post by Jimm391730 »

...2 gallon size. Even at 120psi you could not fill a single tire and then you would have to fill the tank plus tire...
If the tank was the same pressure at the beginning of the fill as at the end of the tire fill, then really no air is going in or out of the tank (lower pressure at the end means air had to leave the tank, higher pressure means air had to enter the tank). So if the tank starts at 120psi, you fill the tire up to 40psi then you have used air FROM the tank - this is in addition to the airflow from the compressor, the tire is filled slightly faster. Now you disconnect that tire while the compressor is still running - the tank starts to go up in pressure (more than the 40psi you are airing the tires up to). You hook up the second tire, and again, the tank is higher in pressure than you will end the fill of that tire. So the air that the compressor is pumping into only the tank between tires will be used to fill the next tire. This little bit of air is more than you would have gotten with just the compressor. As I said, it probably isn't a big difference, but it should be a small improvement. If you could move the airflow from one tire to the next instantly then the tank is of no help at all, but without a tank the compressor is doing nothing productive between tires. Having the tank and tire hooked together does not take more time as long as the tank initially had more pressure than you plan to air the tire up to.

But if you have four or six hoses to all tires and fill them at the same time, the tank is no help at all... then it is all about compressor cfm.
Jim M.
712W and 710M