Toolless Upper Door Removal

Build projects, things that guys have come up with to make a Pinz better (or worse?) and aftermarket add-ons.
bikmakr
United States of America

Toolless Upper Door Removal

Post by bikmakr »

I know notching the bottom of the door out to avoid having to remove the handle is a common trick. I went a step further and
installed some spring loaded quick turn handles. The threaded stem on the front one needs to be trimmed to about 1/4" long to fit.
McMaster part number: 6610K35
DSC_5935 (Medium).JPG
DSC_5935 (Medium).JPG (269.79 KiB) Viewed 5761 times
DSC_5936 (Medium).JPG
DSC_5936 (Medium).JPG (167.36 KiB) Viewed 5761 times
rmel
United States of America

Re: Toolless Upper Door Removal

Post by rmel »

Now that's a great hardware find! Thanks!
Puller: 71' 710K 2.7L EFI aka Mozo
Follower: Sankey MK 3, 3/4 Tonne
Rescue Pinz: 73' 712MK

Driver: Ron // KO0Q
4x4Pinz
United States of America

Post by 4x4Pinz »

I don't even know where the bolts for mine are anymore. I don't bother putting them on since the door tops are only on for a couple days a year. Gotta love living in great climate.
TechMOGogy
Canada

Post by TechMOGogy »

Nice
72 Pathfinder | 75 710M 2.7i | 96 350GDT Worker
stiffler4444
Canada

Post by stiffler4444 »

This will be done to my truck for sure. Those damn tops are on and off so much, some days I just don't drive it so I don't have the hassle. This will fix that! Thanks
1972 710m
Rookie
United States of America

Post by Rookie »

Does it rattle at all with those pins i would love to do that to mine just dont how tight it is cuold u post more pics and how you did the custom work thanks.
undysworld
Norway

Post by undysworld »

Rookie wrote:Does it rattle at all with those pins i would love to do that to mine just dont how tight it is cuold u post more pics and how you did the custom work thanks.
Didja look it up? https://www.mcmaster.com/#6610k35/=17z8ac5 It seems pretty self-explanatory. Looks as if it would tighten up just like a regular bolt - as tight as you prefer.

I'd assume that shortening the threaded rod could be accomplished either by a hacksaw or a grinder. At least that's how I'd do it.
It is better to go skiing and think of God, than go to church and think of sport. Fridjof Nansen
I hope to die in my ski boots... ...just not today. Me
stiffler4444
Canada

Post by stiffler4444 »

Just ordered these, can't wait. It's the little things that create convenience in these trucks that I get all exited about!
1972 710m
Rookie
United States of America

Post by Rookie »

Sounds good i will definitely be putting these on
TechMOGogy
Canada

Post by TechMOGogy »

undysworld wrote:
Rookie wrote:Does it rattle at all with those pins i would love to do that to mine just dont how tight it is cuold u post more pics and how you did the custom work thanks.
Didja look it up? https://www.mcmaster.com/#6610k35/=17z8ac5 It seems pretty self-explanatory. Looks as if it would tighten up just like a regular bolt - as tight as you prefer.

I'd assume that shortening the threaded rod could be accomplished either by a hacksaw or a grinder. At least that's how I'd do it.
I always put a nut on, hacksaw and then when you remove the nut it cleans/clears the threads
stiffler4444
Canada

Post by stiffler4444 »

TechMOGogy wrote:
undysworld wrote:

I always put a nut on, hacksaw and then when you remove the nut it cleans/clears the threads

Good advice! Mine should be in this week so I will do the 'nut job' for sure.
1972 710m
Haf-e
United States of America

Post by Haf-e »

How about using the M6 thread version instead? It is available with shorter thread length so no cutting required. Would also be the same thread size as the side rails so same tool required.
Haf-e

1971 Pinzgauer 710M

Disc Brake Conversion Kits for 710 and 712 Pinzgauers
www.klugewerks.com
bikmakr
United States of America

Post by bikmakr »

The doors have M8 weld nuts for the 2 main bolts, so you would need to use M8 studs. Just cut the forward studs to about 1/4" total.

Cut the sheet-metal out around the door handles so they stay with the bottom half when you remove the tops.
Jimm391730
United States of America

Post by Jimm391730 »

Cut the sheet-metal out around the door handles so they stay with the bottom half when you remove the tops.
I didn't like this method, it takes the strength out of the lower edge of the door tops. I re-attached the pull handles to the door top with "tee" nuts; the handle is removed with the top (With out the top, the door is easy to close). The tee nuts are very thin (<1mm thick) so they don't interfere with the reassembly of the top. I further padded the bottom edge of the door top with "camper tape" to seal the gap when the top is installed, and prevents the tee nut from wearing against the top edge of the lower door half.
Jim M.
712W and 710M
TechMOGogy
Canada

Post by TechMOGogy »

Jimm391730 wrote:
I didn't like this method, it takes the strength out of the lower edge of the door tops. I re-attached the pull handles to the door top with "tee" nuts; the handle is removed with the top (With out the top, the door is easy to close). The tee nuts are very thin (<1mm thick) so they don't interfere with the reassembly of the top. I further padded the bottom edge of the door top with "camper tape" to seal the gap when the top is installed, and prevents the tee nut from wearing against the top edge of the lower door half.
I did this as well - I believe it is the David Dunn method :)
Either way the tooless idea still works