Efi build, the slow way.

Build projects, things that guys have come up with to make a Pinz better (or worse?) and aftermarket add-ons.
Joeri
Belgium

Re: VW Jetronic mechanical fuel injection swap

Post by Joeri »

Like i said before...i have done the same exact way you do now....like 15 years ago.
What is important....the airbox above your injectors has to have the same cc as your engine....this means that the airvolume above the injectors has to be around the 2500cc.

Then i to had my injectors on the same spot as yours and have noticed that they spray against the inside wall off the adapter.....so the fuel leaks/ runs down to the valve

So i tried all the things you are doing now with this setup and mine did run also...BUT.... or it ran stationary fine but when reving it didnt got enough feul......or i adjusted is so it could run when reving the engine but verry rich when running stationary.

Solution....Make a bigger airbox above the injectors .
Put the injectors just in front of the intake valves. ( i had mine drilled in the original intakemanefolds )

You are 9n the right way and you will figure this out....yust keep on testing :mrgreen:
Joeri
Belgium

Post by Joeri »

Anny news on this experiment :roll:
AudioNW
United States of America

Post by AudioNW »

I'm back on it. Took a break when work picked up again. I quickly realized that although the mechanical system was awesome in so many ways that I wasn't ready to cut up the intakes and run fuel lines under the heat shroud and stopped working on this route. I learned a lot in the process so that's a win! I decided to modify the bits I already made to accept a more regular injector and use a Microsquirt to control things instead.

First off a new fuel system.. I'm going with the oem pump feeding the Edelbrock sump/pump combo in hopes of simple and reliable fuel at weird angles. Next I needed injectors with a long snout to fit the previous design and found some Chrysler injectors in a wreaking yard that do just that. Yay! With a little work I was able to readapt the plenum and manifolds to EFI style parts. So far so good..
Attachments
wireing1.jpg
wireing1.jpg (1.9 MiB) Viewed 3871 times
mani1.jpg
mani1.jpg (1.72 MiB) Viewed 3871 times
tbnew.jpg
tbnew.jpg (1.87 MiB) Viewed 3871 times
AudioNW
United States of America

Post by AudioNW »

IT RUNS! I started out last weekend determined to get this thing running. There were a few bugs to work out initially but in a surprisingly short amount of time I had the harness made and all the plumbing parts installed. I primed the fuel sump, turned on the key, hit the starter button, and wouldn't you know, it started! After some initial settings for idle control and whatnotI was able to drive around my yard with a Pinz that was already running massively better than before. I've been driving it all week tuning the fuel map as best as I know how. Already I notice a huge improvement in drivability. It idles, like all the time, at every stop, without help. It starts, like every time, every day, without help except really cold mornings but that's getting better. I can climb a steep hill without dancing on the gas pedal in an attempt to get it revved up enough to have the power needed. So excited!!

Pics to follow..
MTPinz
United States of America

Post by MTPinz »

Right on! Nice work man!
MTPinz
United States of America

Post by MTPinz »

Right on! Nice work man!
Joeri
Belgium

Post by Joeri »

Well its going from a K- jettronnic to a full EFI system.....well if it works it works and it will always be better then those zennith 32 ndix carbs , great work 👍 :mrgreen:
AudioNW
United States of America

Post by AudioNW »

Our weather went cold this week! Good thing I was able to get it together and tuned just in time for 20 degrees, snow, and ice. My wife and I spent close to 5 hours out and about yesterday delivering gifts without incident. There are some small parts to finish still like a proper IAC mounting and crankcase vent but all in all I'm happy. http://real4x4forums.com/PinzgauerBBS/d ... ew&id=8984
Attachments
pinzProfile.jpg
pinzProfile.jpg (1.22 MiB) Viewed 3402 times
pinzEngPas.jpg
pinzEngPas.jpg (1.44 MiB) Viewed 3402 times
pinzEngDrSd.jpg
pinzEngDrSd.jpg (1.66 MiB) Viewed 3402 times
pinzEngBay.jpg
pinzEngBay.jpg (1.22 MiB) Viewed 3402 times
AudioNW
United States of America

Re: Efi build, the slow way.

Post by AudioNW »

Update: A little more tuning to stop fouling plugs and manage IAC behavior but after that I'm happy to report everything works as intended. Idle, starting, acceleration and all seem to work consistently. Anybody want a set of carbs?
Mr Zero
United States of America

Re: Efi build, the slow way.

Post by Mr Zero »

AudioNW wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 1:32 pm Anybody want a set of carbs?
PM sent.
Jason @battlebornpinzgauer
[1975 Pinzgauer 710K 2.7L EFI, 1972 700AP Haflinger Pathfinder]