3saurus/Battleborn rear bumper and "Fuel Mule" carrier

Build projects, things that guys have come up with to make a Pinz better (or worse?) and aftermarket add-ons.
Mr Zero
United States of America

3saurus/Battleborn rear bumper and "Fuel Mule" carrier

Post by Mr Zero »

After identifying a number of shortcomings with my previous bumper/carrier combo I got with 3saurus in Las Vegas to assist me with a more functional redesign of this familiar tire/fuel carrier configuration. Below is a list of improvements over the previous design:
  • Divorced carrier design allows carrier to be removed/serviced independent of the bumper. This also means that you DO NOT have to modify/replace your existing bumper to add one of these carriers to your Pinz.
  • Reduced carrier swingarm length minimizes leverage on hinge AND keeps the carrier better within the profile of the truck when carrier is in the open position.
  • Relocation of hinge inboard of rear suspension significantly improves weight distribution of the open carrier across L/R rear suspensions (vs driver-side only. The previous carrier crushed my driver-side rear springs :evil: ).
  • Heavy-duty 1 3/4" hinge spindle.
  • Simpler service access to carrier hinge.
  • Closer fit of carrier to rear profile of the Pinz places load more directly inline with the hinge.
  • Elevated tire position preserves factory departure angle.
  • Integrated fuel can retention brackets eliminate fumbling for a place to hang/store brackets while removing/replacing fuel cans.
  • Heim joint allows carrier to swing open/closed with rear door 8) .
  • Quick/detent pin at heim easily releases rear door from carrier for fuel can access.
  • Remote carrier lock pin lever releases lock pin from the latching edge of the carrier/door rather than at the hinge mounted pin.
3saurus has posted a VIDEO DEMO of the carrier function on Instagram here.

Last edited by Mr Zero on Thu Mar 05, 2020 7:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jason @battlebornpinzgauer
[1975 Pinzgauer 710K 2.7L EFI, 1972 700AP Haflinger Pathfinder]
VinceAtReal4x4s
Admin
United States of America

Re: 3saurus/Battleborn rear bumper and "Fuel Mule" carrier

Post by VinceAtReal4x4s »

Cool. Any pics of the unit alone? Are they keeping this design on file for others or was it a one-off? Is there a bushing in the hinge? Any talk of adding a zerk fitting to grease it? Lockable latch?
"For those who risk, life has a flavor the protected shall never enjoy"

Your donation makes this site possible!

Mr Zero
United States of America

Post by Mr Zero »

VinceAtReal4x4s wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 2:17 am Cool. Any pics of the unit alone? Are they keeping this design on file for others or was it a one-off? Is there a bushing in the hinge? Any talk of adding a zerk fitting to grease it? Lockable latch?
Vince,

A gallery of the carrier in development/fabrication can be viewed here. I'll add some additional pics to the OP of the locking latch, etc.

The design was created with reproduction as a primary consideration. One of the reasons for divorcing the carrier from the bumper is so a Pinzgauer owner can add the carrier without replacing or modifying their factory bumper (I'll add that to the OP).

The hinge used in the design is a 3500lb Randy Ellis Design #130, specifications can be found here.

Considering the potential load weight we opted not to add a zerk in order to maximize the integrety of the hinge. Instead, a Bearing Buddy or similar bearing protector can optionally be added for easy lubrication.

As mentioned above there is a provision for locking the latch with a padlock. Pic added to OP.
Jason @battlebornpinzgauer
[1975 Pinzgauer 710K 2.7L EFI, 1972 700AP Haflinger Pathfinder]
McCall Pinz
Switzerland

Post by McCall Pinz »

Nicely done!
eat, sleep, Pinzgauer
TechMOGogy
Canada

Post by TechMOGogy »