Airpod Pro (or other) for phone calls?

Build projects, things that guys have come up with to make a Pinz better (or worse?) and aftermarket add-ons.
ChickenPinz
United States of America

Airpod Pro (or other) for phone calls?

Post by ChickenPinz »

What have people had good success with for hearing protection that allows making phone calls while on the highway in a Pinz?

There is a lot of reviews that talk about noise cancellation ability of products that offer that, but not much about the microphone audio quality. What I'm wondering here is, what have you actually used and had good luck with at highway speeds in the Pinz?

Some suggest that Airpod Pro earbuds will work, but I've not been able to test any yet.

There are some good over-the-ear options, but I fear those are likely to invite the attention of LEOs as some states forbid covering of the ears: https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/face ... nNum=27400.
And note I said the attention of LEOs, which is different than being arguably legal.
djw
United States of America

Re: Airpod Pro (or other) for phone calls?

Post by djw »

Works for me:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LZAG265

The price seems to be about 40% higher now than when I bought mine.

In my experience, aviation headsets and intercoms also work fine but new is expensive, ebay is not much better. Some intercoms have phone interface capability. I have a 4-place aviation intercom and headsets in my Pinz if I have passengers, works fine for conversations front and back.

I have never had LEOs give me any trouble, maybe they have better things to do here. I am half deaf already.

The above is pretty simple bluetooth aviation-style headset. I used them in noisy data center situations also. I have not found anything that comes close to satisfactory and I have tried a lot. Again, I know I already have some hearing loss to begin with.

I have tried older Airpods in both environments and the ambient noise of a pinz or a dc is just too much.
'74 710K (ÖBH Austrian Rehab) mostly unmolested original - the unicorn (everything works!)
collecting pinz docs since 2012 - pm me if I can help
whitesik
United States of America

Post by whitesik »

As reported in your other thread on comms, I use Sensear headsets model SM1x SR. Callers on the other end report that they do not hear the pinz while I am driving and using the phone. Pretty impressive. Certainly there may be better options but I am happy with them for now. I have not tried to use the PTT function on a mobile 2m/70cm radio but I think it could be done with enough money thrown at the cables.
75 Swiss 710K
Not so new owner but still a novice
W9YG
EmbarkChief
United States of America

Post by EmbarkChief »

I can tell you that the newest AirPods Pro do wonders for cancelling ambient noise in the Pinz even at 60 mph. So much so that I don't even wear my Peltor Comtac VI's anymore unless I have passengers with me. However outgoing calls get rough at anything over 40 mph. I'm going to test out wearing the airpods under my Peltor's and see what happens, it might just work....
-1972 710M
rmel
United States of America

Post by rmel »

I've been using a Bose noise cancelling headset (with built in Mic).
It pairs to two endpoints. In my case a iPhone and a Pryme BT-501.
The headset will flip to the iPhone when there is an incoming call.

The Pryme dongles are designed to plug directly into a Kenwood or
Baofeng hand held. They have a built in PTT button. I made a cable
adapter to connect to the Mic jack on my ICOM 7100. The 7100 jack
supports both a Mic and speaker output making adapting easy.
Puller: 71' 710K 2.7L EFI aka Mozo
Follower: Sankey MK 3, 3/4 Tonne
Rescue Pinz: 73' 712MK

Driver: Ron // KO0Q