'Mad Iris' The Pinzgauer - Fiat Croma combo build

Build projects, things that guys have come up with to make a Pinz better (or worse?) and aftermarket add-ons.
heleto
United States of America
Posts: 23
Joined: Mon Feb 17, 2020 1:17 am
Location: Central NC

'Mad Iris' The Pinzgauer - Fiat Croma combo build

Post by heleto » Wed Dec 09, 2020 8:41 pm

I will start working on 'Mad Iris', the Pinzgauer with an early Fiat Croma engine.

Brief:
The truck was imported from Montenegro to the USA. No records and no maintenance done in the recent past. Pinzgauers did not come with Fiat engines. I am guessing a passionate person did this combo. Some folks on here advised not to buy this, sorry folks, I went with it.
The reasons I bought - a joy to look at the engineering that went into Pinzgauer. I also believe old soul sometimes need a renewed spirit.

Challenge:
Fiat Croma 154 was never sold in the States, so no support whatsoever. Pinzgauers have good enough support, especially with a forum like this. But, with the weird combo, there are many unknowns.

Current State:
Vehicle: 1983 Pinzgauer - highly modified
Engine: Good folks on this forum helped to do initial identification. Guess is Early Croma 2500cc turbo diesel engine (Type 8144.91 | Version 154 AF 55 A)
Transmission: Standard Pinzgauer (again a guess)

Immediate List:
  1. Replace the starter bolts (one started bolt broken)
  2. Find the right fuel filter and replace it
  3. Find the right oil filter and replace it
  4. Find the right oil weight for a oil change
  5. Replace axle boots on all four wheels
  6. Check all the leaks and make it 'ChickenPinz' dry (ChickenPinz)
  7. Check and bleed - clutch, 3 sets of lockers and all your brakes (Texas710)
  8. Check and adjust brake setup (Texas710)
  9. Check fluids - hubs, differentials and t-case (Texas710)
  10. Review all hydraulic systems (Texas710)
Second List:
  1. Check the rubber parts behind the locker panels (Texas710)
  2. Check every single hose and replace any that are questionable (ChickenPinz)
  3. Check every single plastic and replace any that are questionable (ChickenPinz)
Other List:
  1. Check what spares that fail typically and try to source them (VinceAtReal4x4s)
  2. Replace wheels (VinceAtReal4x4s)
Current Pictures:
IMG_5605.jpg
IMG_5605.jpg (1.95 MiB) Viewed 452 times
s-l1600 (15).jpg
s-l1600 (15).jpg (263.65 KiB) Viewed 452 times
s-l1600 (16).jpg
s-l1600 (16).jpg (280 KiB) Viewed 452 times
[/size]
Last edited by heleto on Thu Dec 10, 2020 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

heleto
United States of America
Posts: 23
Joined: Mon Feb 17, 2020 1:17 am
Location: Central NC

Re: 'Mad Iris' The Pinzgauer - Fiat Croma combo build

Post by heleto » Wed Dec 09, 2020 8:43 pm

Would appreciate if you could review my immediate list above and would like to add to it.

ChickenPinz
United States of America
Posts: 164
Joined: Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:16 pm

Re: 'Mad Iris' The Pinzgauer - Fiat Croma combo build

Post by ChickenPinz » Wed Dec 09, 2020 11:22 pm

How's the engine? Does it run? Compression good? If so, how's the vehicle drive?

Me? My passion is oil leaks. Find and remedy *all* of them you can. A dry drivetrain is a happy drivetrain that you can spot problems on.

Check every single hose and replace any that are questionable. I maintain several older vehicles, and the rubber & plastic parts are what seem to fail often due to age.
710K

Texas710
United States of America
Posts: 203
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2015 4:00 pm
Location: San Antonio, TX

Re: 'Mad Iris' The Pinzgauer - Fiat Croma combo build

Post by Texas710 » Thu Dec 10, 2020 8:25 am

You crazy SOB, you did it! Hopefully, you stole it (i.e. got a good price)

I definitely second the idea to look over hoses and lines. Make sure you get into looking at all the hydraulic systems, check the rubber parts behind the locker panels (first repair I did on my ruck, those seem to fail). On the stock setup, you have a clutch, 3 sets of lockers and all your brakes that need to be checked and bleed. Obviously, those are not stock rims, so I would want to find out what is behind them, if you still have the stock brake set-up, make sure they are properly adjusted.

If you're getting into oil changes, makes sure to do the hubs, differentals and t-case while you're at it.

All this work and that doesn't even touch the engine. Plenty to do.

Have fun, I want to see this puppy on the road!

User avatar
VinceAtReal4x4s
Admin
United States of America
Posts: 1854
Joined: Mon Apr 12, 2004 10:36 pm
Location: Ca. or lost in South West USA
Contact:

Re: 'Mad Iris' The Pinzgauer - Fiat Croma combo build

Post by VinceAtReal4x4s » Thu Dec 10, 2020 12:47 pm

I'd order every likely to fail spare part you can find for that engine and keep it in the garage. The last thing you want to do is take it somewhere and find out you have to wait weeks to get a lift-pump or whatever.

And I'd really consider finding some stock or different wheels.
"For those who risk, life has a flavor the protected shall never enjoy"

Your donation makes this site possible!

Image

Joeri
Belgium
Posts: 93
Joined: Sun Jan 05, 2020 11:09 am

Re: 'Mad Iris' The Pinzgauer - Fiat Croma combo build

Post by Joeri » Thu Dec 10, 2020 2:18 pm

I would go with a different engine...fiat hasn't got a great reputation over here with there engines :roll: :mrgreen:

ChickenPinz
United States of America
Posts: 164
Joined: Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:16 pm

Re: 'Mad Iris' The Pinzgauer - Fiat Croma combo build

Post by ChickenPinz » Thu Dec 10, 2020 3:34 pm

Alas, Fiat doesn't have a great reputation *anywhere* for reliability. Fix It Again, Tony. ;)

Still, but since this is a Fiat heart in a Pinzgauer body, maybe it's a magic combination that'll work well. My fingers are crossed for ya, man!

But yeah, I'd build a kit of the most common trail-fixable failure items for that engine if it's going to be hard to find parts for.
710K

heleto
United States of America
Posts: 23
Joined: Mon Feb 17, 2020 1:17 am
Location: Central NC

Re: 'Mad Iris' The Pinzgauer - Fiat Croma combo build

Post by heleto » Thu Dec 10, 2020 6:27 pm

ChickenPinz wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 11:22 pm
How's the engine? Does it run? Compression good? If so, how's the vehicle drive?

Me? My passion is oil leaks. Find and remedy *all* of them you can. A dry drivetrain is a happy drivetrain that you can spot problems on.

Check every single hose and replace any that are questionable. I maintain several older vehicles, and the rubber & plastic parts are what seem to fail often due to age.

@ChickenPinz, no, I did not hear the engine run yet. While transporting the starter bolt broke and I ordered it. I heard it and got a ride while purchase though.
The pictures are not current. The current state of engine is like a sieve with oil in it (exaggeration), but neverthess it definitely has leaks.

Will add to my list:
  • Check compression
  • Check all the leaks and make it 'ChickenPinz' dry
  • Check every single hose and replace any that are questionable.
  • Check every single plastic and replace any that are questionable.

heleto
United States of America
Posts: 23
Joined: Mon Feb 17, 2020 1:17 am
Location: Central NC

Re: 'Mad Iris' The Pinzgauer - Fiat Croma combo build

Post by heleto » Thu Dec 10, 2020 6:33 pm

Texas710 wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 8:25 am
You crazy SOB, you did it! Hopefully, you stole it (i.e. got a good price)

I definitely second the idea to look over hoses and lines. Make sure you get into looking at all the hydraulic systems, check the rubber parts behind the locker panels (first repair I did on my ruck, those seem to fail). On the stock setup, you have a clutch, 3 sets of lockers and all your brakes that need to be checked and bleed. Obviously, those are not stock rims, so I would want to find out what is behind them, if you still have the stock brake set-up, make sure they are properly adjusted.

If you're getting into oil changes, makes sure to do the hubs, differentals and t-case while you're at it.

All this work and that doesn't even touch the engine. Plenty to do.

Have fun, I want to see this puppy on the road!


@Texas710, thanks for excellent suggestions.
I will add yours to my list.

heleto
United States of America
Posts: 23
Joined: Mon Feb 17, 2020 1:17 am
Location: Central NC

Re: 'Mad Iris' The Pinzgauer - Fiat Croma combo build

Post by heleto » Thu Dec 10, 2020 6:38 pm

VinceAtReal4x4s wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 12:47 pm
I'd order every likely to fail spare part you can find for that engine and keep it in the garage. The last thing you want to do is take it somewhere and find out you have to wait weeks to get a lift-pump or whatever.

And I'd really consider finding some stock or different wheels.



Thanks VinceAtReal4x4s. I will plan on getting spares, but for now its not the top of my list.
Same with wheels. If anything, I do not like the exo-skeleton and the wheels. I am thinking Transit wheels that were discussed on here.

heleto
United States of America
Posts: 23
Joined: Mon Feb 17, 2020 1:17 am
Location: Central NC

Re: 'Mad Iris' The Pinzgauer - Fiat Croma combo build

Post by heleto » Thu Dec 10, 2020 6:39 pm

Joeri wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 2:18 pm
I would go with a different engine...fiat hasn't got a great reputation over here with there engines :roll: :mrgreen:


Can't agree more with Fiat engines. But this is almost a tractor engine (no electronics), let's see how it holds up.

ChickenPinz
United States of America
Posts: 164
Joined: Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:16 pm

Re: 'Mad Iris' The Pinzgauer - Fiat Croma combo build

Post by ChickenPinz » Thu Dec 10, 2020 8:00 pm

heleto wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 6:39 pm
Joeri wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 2:18 pm
I would go with a different engine...fiat hasn't got a great reputation over here with there engines :roll: :mrgreen:


Can't agree more with Fiat engines. But this is almost a tractor engine (no electronics), let's see how it holds up.
That's an excellent attitude!
710K

hatzlibutzli
Germany
Posts: 25
Joined: Mon Dec 28, 2015 11:47 pm

Re: 'Mad Iris' The Pinzgauer - Fiat Croma combo build

Post by hatzlibutzli » Fri Dec 11, 2020 12:30 pm

I don´t think the engine will make any problems ... I had the same in a Lancia Thema long time ago ... it had only a little to much torque for the small clutch and the long transmission, but no reason to blame the engine ... had 250 000 kms on the clock, when we sold the car.

The SOFIM factory, now part of IVECO, has a great reputation and is still producing the diesel engines for the small transporters/large Vans of Renault, Citroen, Peugeot, Fiat, IVECO.

Greetings ... Simon

Texas710
United States of America
Posts: 203
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2015 4:00 pm
Location: San Antonio, TX

Re: 'Mad Iris' The Pinzgauer - Fiat Croma combo build

Post by Texas710 » Fri Dec 11, 2020 2:55 pm

And just my opinion, but I would drop that snow plow before the roll cage. And not the worst rims either, would probably look better with some off-road tires, if you can find some to fit.

I am biased though, I always sort of lusted after that truck. I hope you keep us posted on the progress!

heleto
United States of America
Posts: 23
Joined: Mon Feb 17, 2020 1:17 am
Location: Central NC

Re: 'Mad Iris' The Pinzgauer - Fiat Croma combo build

Post by heleto » Fri Dec 11, 2020 6:07 pm

hatzlibutzli wrote:I don´t think the engine will make any problems ... I had the same in a Lancia Thema long time ago ... it had only a little to much torque for the small clutch and the long transmission, but no reason to blame the engine ... had 250 000 kms on the clock, when we sold the car.

The SOFIM factory, now part of IVECO, has a great reputation and is still producing the diesel engines for the small transporters/large Vans of Renault, Citroen, Peugeot, Fiat, IVECO.

Greetings ... Simon
Simon, thanks for that assurance.
Yes, from my research I found that this engine was also used in Lancia Thema and many others too. Even though it was popular, the irony is, I can find little to no info online. I was able to join Fiatforum, where folks are helping me little bit. But, for the life of me, I can find any service or repair manuals. I would really like to get at least some replacement parts as spares as some folks suggested here.

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk


Post Reply