Stretching the wheel base?

Build projects, things that guys have come up with to make a Pinz better (or worse?) and aftermarket add-ons.
Rocky Mountain Westy

Stretching the wheel base?

Post by Rocky Mountain Westy »

I am curious, has anyone ever stretched the wheel base in a Pinz by lengthen the drivetube and driveshaft? What is the drivetube made of? Is it cast material or...?

I have a 712 and I am scheming on some modifications.

Thanks!
4x4Pinz
United States of America

Re: Stretching the wheel base?

Post by 4x4Pinz »

not aware of anyone attempting this modification. You could source the spacer from the 710 backbone and then rebuild a driveshaft. body mounts would have to be changed or the extension in the body tub done where no supports exist currently. I would think this would bring on a lot of issues. My tub is cracking currently as the unibody does not flex so something has to give over time.
Hotzenplotz
Austria

Post by Hotzenplotz »

Rocky Mountain Westie

Christoph Gut in Switzerland has built a unique Pinzgauer with extended chassis.
He has used the tube extension of a 710 for a 712

additional pics and the stories around can be found at https://pinzgauer.ch/de/pinzgauer_news?menu=pinzgauers
Cheers
Albert
========================
My Pinz has NEVER been with any army
Rocky Mountain Westy

4x4Pinz wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 8:08 pm not aware of anyone attempting this modification. You could source the spacer from the 710 backbone and then rebuild a driveshaft. body mounts would have to be changed or the extension in the body tub done where no supports exist currently. I would think this would bring on a lot of issues. My tub is cracking currently as the unibody does not flex so something has to give over time.

Yeah, my tub is pretty rough, kinda almost junk. I want to rebody the drivetrain which is why I want to adjust the wheel base Unfortunately I don't think the 710 back bone is long enough.
Rocky Mountain Westy

Hotzenplotz wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 2:09 am Rocky Mountain Westie

Christoph Gut in Switzerland has built a unique Pinzgauer with extended chassis.

additional pics and the stories around can be found at https://pinzgauer.ch/de/pinzgauer_news?menu=pinzgauers
Thanks! I will check it out. Unfortunately the 710 backbone probably isn't long enough. I am looking to extend it 36" or so.

I will check this out though! I love custom builds
David Dunn
United States of America

Post by David Dunn »

LOL, Though a logical adaptation, it follows on SDP using a 718 spacer in the early '90s to make the 716 "Shorty" gun truck
Attachments
1998TDswb.jpg
1998TDswb.jpg (25.36 KiB) Viewed 3736 times
The Trojan Horse... the 1st Pinz used to covertly carry troops into battle .

ATL Pinzgauer XM 718K TUM(HD) 6x6 FFR (aka The Green Grail)
Joeri
Belgium

Post by Joeri »

Rocky Mountain Westy wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 7:47 am

Thanks! I will check it out. Unfortunately the 710 backbone probably isn't long enough. I am looking to extend it 36" or so.

I will check this out though! I love custom builds
And if he is smart he could adapt that piece behind the hi/ lo case to ad as a extra oil reservoir and cooling surface for that hi/ lo case :roll: