What do you think of this 710M ?

Build projects, things that guys have come up with to make a Pinz better (or worse?) and aftermarket add-ons.
Hugues
Switzerland

What do you think of this 710M ?

Post by Hugues »

Hello everyone, new here, Canadian engineer based in Switzerland for the past 30+years.
I'm thinking of buying a Pinz 710 to convert into an expedition vehicle to tour Africa, Asia and Americas when I retire.

I am interested in this 710M for sale here in Switzerland.
The plate says 1978/79 and the registration states that it was first put on the road in 1982, a former Swiss army vehicle, after that there seems to have been only one owner.

The vehicle is pretty clean, I see a little rust here and there, nothing important, I think maybe change the heat exchanger and the exhaust?
I see no obvious signs of oil leaks.

I'll test drive tomorrow, what should I watch out for?
I'll take it to local DOT to weigh it and ask about some changes that I want to make (open up one side for a lateral door like on a 710K).

If it looks good, I will ask Christoph @Gut Garage to examine it before deciding to buy it. 42,000 km, asking price USD 24'900
(sorry for those reading also the german Pinz forum, I also posted there)
Detailed views here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXNm7OsoQos

710M.jpg
710M.jpg (112.27 KiB) Viewed 1614 times
Hugues
From Switzerland
ChickenPinz
United States of America

Re: What do you think of this 710M ?

Post by ChickenPinz »

$24.9k USD seems a bit high for an M, but I don't know your local market.
Underside looks pretty clean.
It's probably been repainted at some point.
Engine sounded normal.
Take it for a drive at highway speed and check for driveline vibration, especially a low-frequency (less than 1Hz) vibration that goes away if you engage the transfer case.
Expect to change lots of rubber parts -- they get old and tired.

As to an overlander option, well, that's a different discussion. Me? I'd take a Toyota truck largely because there are spare parts everywhere for those things (but they won't need them) and they're far more comfortable for long trips.
jimfro
United States of America

Post by jimfro »

I also think it's a bit pricey but the car seems to be in good condition so I think it's worth it. By the way, converting it into an expeditionary car is a good idea.
Joeri
Belgium

Post by Joeri »

Price is to high.