Hardtop kit available in the UK

Build projects, things that guys have come up with to make a Pinz better (or worse?) and aftermarket add-ons.
EuroPinz

Hardtop kit available in the UK

Post by EuroPinz »

Hello guys,

A company in the UK has developped a fiberglass hardtop kit for those of that want to change your soft top.
It is a full lebgth hardtop going over the driver's cabin as well. It needs a bit of cutting and glueing as it comes in seperate pieces.

More info here: http://www.c-u-v.co.uk/vehicle_details.asp?Id=67

Price is £ 990 Tax and transport not included.

The top comes in 6 parts, roof panel, 2 side panels. 2 rear corner panels, and rear .door. The roof covers the entire vehicle, fastening to the windscreen and front roll bar, it would have to be cut to keep the front canvas over the driver
Assembly requires some cutting and trimming, and the
top has to be bonded, bolted and pop riveted to the vehicle. You will
also need to source rear door hinges, lock, and window, (the door is
cut to take the 712 ambulance rear door glass)

The kit is OK to drive for onroading but for offroading it needs to get additional stiffener build in by the owner.

Regards,

Jacques
todds112

Post by todds112 »

So it would cost how much to get one here?? Looks pretty nice.
1973 712M
andy

Post by andy »

At current exchange rates. probably your first born.
A bar F
The buck STARTS here
www.deerleaseservices.com
undysworld
Norway

Post by undysworld »

Damn, the firstborn already went to pay for the truck. How much could I get for a wife in payment instead?
Seriously, nice looking item.
Paul
MarkPinz
United States of America

Post by MarkPinz »

Price for the kit doesn't look too horrible considering the parts you get. Would take some time to recoup your tooling investment considering the limited market.
Just get in and go....
Erik712m

Post by Erik712m »

Jacques, have you seen there diesel conversion?
EuroPinz

Post by EuroPinz »

Yes, I've seen it and I have to admit very professionally done. Unfortunately it does not suit most of us european customers. Most european countries will not allow swapping an gasoline engine with a diesel engine and other will allow it but with some constraints. In my country (Grand Duchy of Luxembourg) they will allow a swapping of engine provided the torque and Hp does not go less or over 10 % of the actual value of the engine.

Regards,

Jacques
ScottishPinz
Great Britain

Post by ScottishPinz »

Jacques
I think the thread was about the hard-top kit not the diesel engine conversion!
EuroPinz

Post by EuroPinz »

Thank you for reminding me this, especially that I am the one that started the topic - however, if you look at the post right above my answer, you'll see that Erik Maybee asked me a question about diesel conversion.

cheers

Jacques
lindenengineering

Post by lindenengineering »

Jacques.
Legally speaking it doesn't comply to USA EPA specs either so it's not acceptable. The turbo version however of the same unit (engine family) is PROVIDING ALL the electronic controls are employed/installed!

There's the rub, there are engines out there that can be used I have done offer up's on five of them to date (the most suitable) two FROM ONE manufacturer are applicable. Another will comply under certain conditions/arguments (from the same manufacturer) the other from Euro source is very compliant at Euro 3 but not passed off for US import so its a grey unit.
I have imported diesel land rover engines for re powers in the past but sometimes getting the "built up unit" past customs can be a chore, I almost had the last one impounded because of non compliance. So I suppose the alternative is to import in CKD but that adds to the final cost of a project; not to mention the possibility down the road of some official refusing to license due to its non conformity.

The maxim over here apparently is that use MUST use an engine of later technical spec than the year of the chassis. Import of technology so to speak! I think for the most part a conversion especially using a very acceptable late style engine could work well even grey market especially if it flies under the wire of legal acceptability/interpretation. Fortunately the US market so far as early 80's vehicles are concerned is somewhat weak and up to interpretation. In many areas of US law there is a higher degree of interpretation, than the Euro zone giving the phrase "Pigs will be fed, Hogs will be slaughtered". So in short you can be a pig with the US authorities but don't be a Hog!
So I suppose in many ways a non complaint engine could be used to power a Pinzgauer providing it slips under the lawful gaze of the authorities. My posture at present is to use "Take Outs" from known wrecked vehicles THAT HAVE A USA HISTORY OF CHASSIS/VIN TO THAT ENGINE" In other words passes all EPA/Federal emissions for that year.

Of course I haven't touched on those units mentioned for their performance acceptabilities. At this stage I don't see the point.
Cheers Dennis
OOOps no customer bashing now
Erik712m

Post by Erik712m »

Jacques
I think the thread was about the hard-top kit not the diesel engine conversion!
Sorry just thought ask as i saw it on the same web site done by the same company.
Erik712m

Post by Erik712m »

Does any one have any pic's of the inside after the hard top has been installed.
Pinz Enthusiast

Post by Pinz Enthusiast »

Jacques,

The link seems to be dead as I can't seem to get it opened no matter what I do.
Eric
Anaheim Hills, Ca
1973 712M
1996 LR Disco I
2003 LR Discovery SE
2003 Holiday Rambler Endeavor MH
hope to get a 1969 Ford M656
undysworld
Norway

Post by undysworld »

I contacted them a few months ago. There was some new site I was referred to. But, it did connect me with someone. Unfortunately, due to the current exchange rates (at the time, and probably presently), the price was high. I don't remember exactly, but I think it was over 3k delivered.

Paul
pinzmeister-uk
Great Britain

Hardtop kit

Post by pinzmeister-uk »

The CUV website does not connect as the company has ceased trading, the hardtop kit is still available from us at www.pinzmeister-uk.com as we developed it for CUV originally. Current price is 1250 pounds sterling plus transport.