Hardtop kit available in the UK

Build projects, things that guys have come up with to make a Pinz better (or worse?) and aftermarket add-ons.
andy

Post by andy »

Dave, if you get the contract, let me know. I'll find a way to take a day off feeding.

Too bad from where I am west we don't have alot of Pinz owners or we could set up some sort of Pinz Express and get a top cross country that way.

Andy
A bar F
The buck STARTS here
www.deerleaseservices.com
Jerbearyukon

Post by Jerbearyukon »

Can someone post the pics - I can't get them and don't want to join the yahoo site...thanks

Jer Bear - 3 " of snow today and growing
Jim LaGuardia
United States of America

Post by Jim LaGuardia »

The Yahoo group is free :roll:
Cheers, Jim LaGuardia
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v510/Goatwerks/
"Arch Magus of Machines."
Erik712m

Post by Erik712m »

Age and Treachery will always triumph over Youth and Skill.... and if the old fart has skill too, the kid is really doomed
I see something changed. I wounder if the top could be cut down the middle, and a piece fabricated to allow it to fit a 712? Does he have any back door tops?
Pinz Enthusiast

Post by Pinz Enthusiast »

I for one would just like to have a full length 712 top only, I still want to use the canvas sides I have from a spare top.
Eric
Anaheim Hills, Ca
1973 712M
1996 LR Disco I
2003 LR Discovery SE
2003 Holiday Rambler Endeavor MH
hope to get a 1969 Ford M656
andy

Post by andy »

Pinz Enthusiast wrote:I for one would just like to have a full length 712 top only, I still want to use the canvas sides I have from a spare top.
Talk to or ask Mike Nims. That's pretty much what he's done with his 712. Or check out some of his youtube entries that show his 712.

Andy
A bar F
The buck STARTS here
mjnims

Post by mjnims »

Andy, you are correct. I made a rear metal top and used the sides from 2 710 tops to achieve the canvas sides. I used the C rail from an RV awning to attach the canvas as it makes it water tight and also easy to remove for repairs or cleaning.
The top is made of aluminum with a square tube subframe and insulated between the outer and inner linings. This also makes a great place to attach racks for extra cargo or door tops. For those who say it makes the truck more top heavy, I invite you to follow me on any trail with or without your canvas tops.

If you want to talk about what I might do different if I did another just PM me. I would be glad to give you my thoughts.
Mike
Erik712m

Post by Erik712m »

Mike there's another nice hard top on the cover of your chapters web site. My wife is wanting something more like this. http://picasaweb.google.com/pinzgauer.d ... 9283060242 I made the mistake of showing here Milez picture gallery :lol:
mjnims

Post by mjnims »

That would be Tony's (contact info on the SWPA website). He does a full hard top. He does not like to have the front canvas rolled back. He also uses sheet metal with 3/32 holes in it to aid in security of items in the back of his truck. The hard top fabrication is not all that difficult. We attach to the same location as the supports for the canvas and just work from there. It is amazing what getting rid of the canvas top and insulating the metal tops will do for both noise and, in our case heat. The canvas material really heats up the trucks during the summer months.

As long as we are on the subject of hard tops. There was a guy who frequented this board that had one of the best thought out tops. He had removable side panels, one set for the summer months and the other for the winter months. The summer ones were open holed much like Tony's except with inserts to close it off for privacy and the other set was insulated for winter use. Sadly when the SHTF a few years ago he was one of the members who left. He was one who never stopped at good enough no matter the cost. I have since lost track of him but hopefully he and his truck are doing well.

MH drop me a PM if you still watch the boards, would love to hear from you
Mike
Pinz Enthusiast

Post by Pinz Enthusiast »

Mike,

I love what you have done, although I would love to have a full hard top as I never roll back the front, the idea of using rv "c" channel is cool never thought of that even though I see it almost everyday on my own rv, so now for the particulars, did you just clamp a sheet of aluminum to one side and roll it over the top and down the other side? now that my B3LC is running well it would be cool to eliminate the little open areas or the canvas top especially in the cab, at the rear I would use canvas sides for summer and look to make some had sides for winter use.
Eric
Anaheim Hills, Ca
1973 712M
1996 LR Disco I
2003 LR Discovery SE
2003 Holiday Rambler Endeavor MH
hope to get a 1969 Ford M656
andy

Post by andy »

Danr! I love playing Cupid. Hope it works out for you both...on the hardtops that is. :D

Andy
A bar F
The buck STARTS here
mjnims

Post by mjnims »

I had a sheet metal shop put a series of creases in mine to make the corners uniform and much more rigid. Once the crease angles were figured out I had them make a 12 inch strip of 16ga sheet metal which I put on the sub frame first. The heavier metal under the aluminum top has saved me a considerable amount of damage when rubbing against larger branches. Tony fastened his top and just worked the metal around the corners. His first attempt was nowhere as good as his second. I think he took more time on his second attempt and it looks fine. Take a close look at the corners of the roll bars and mid support and you can see it is very easy to copy. I chose to make the back in two sections. This allow me the ability to remove one panel or both and store them easier when not in use.
When you do the front hard top I would suggest putting a drip edge over the doors. Drip edge metal can be found at a home improvement store.
Mike
Erik712m

Post by Erik712m »

pinzmeister-uk
Great Britain

hardtop

Post by pinzmeister-uk »

The hardtop featured is not one of mine, it's a custom made steel top, made for the British army, probably by a company called Marshalls who make most of the special bodies for the MOD. These trucks started life as soft tops, and were modified for a specific use after they were put into sevice.
chacaocop1

Post by chacaocop1 »

Hello Pinzmeister:

I think your kit is very clean and well made. It there any reson why you are not using the side panels?

I saw once a FB top on a 712 that kept the side panels and needed the k upper door. The problem was the "one piece" configuration.

It would be nice to have a design like that one that keep the side panels and that could be shipped in parts like yours. Do you know of any kit like that?
CHACAOCOP
1973 712M