Customizing

Build projects, things that guys have come up with to make a Pinz better (or worse?) and aftermarket add-ons.
pinzinator

Customizing

Post by pinzinator »

Everyone who has owned a Pinzgauer has added their own personal touches. My most recent was a bikini top, which was made from material available from Jo Ann Fabrics, a 1X2 from Lowes, and brass grommets and bunjee cords from Ace. Total investement was about $48, including hiring someone to sew the outer edge. If I were to make another, I would use another 1X2 at the rear, since the wind tends to make the top really stretch out over 45 MPH. I can easily add that reinforcement later if I want.
I used a $5 piece of oak from Lowes to make the forward piece that holds the top. I just drilled out slots that matched the attachments welded into the upper windshield and popped it into place after stapling the material on.
Here's a view from the passenger side.
A view from the rear showing the bungee cord arrangement.
An overall view of the Pinzgauer. As you can see I live in Palm Desert, CA, where it's 110 right now. I bought the Swiss flag locally.
Last edited by pinzinator on Sat Aug 29, 2009 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
milesdzyn

Post by milesdzyn »

Looks very cool, but a word of warning, be careful how much tension you put on it. The windshield frame is very soft and over time you will distort the frame back, just keep an eye on it.

I've thought of making one myself, as well.

Miles
Lots of Pinz pictures here.......
http://picasaweb.google.com/pinzgauer.depository.1

'73 Pinzgauer 712M
pinzinator

Post by pinzinator »

You're right, the last thing I need to do is bend the frame. But I really don't thing the bungee cords I use are strong enough. The sun visors are what tensions the top when still, otherwise the fabric is somewhat limp.
This is the fabric and wooden attachment piece before I stapled it together. The fabric is trapazoidal in shape, the windshield end being 59 inches wide, the back section 54 inches, and the overall length is 36 inches. If wood is added to the rear as I recommend instead of brass grommets, I would make the length 40 inches instead of 36 to allow the material to wrap around. The bungee cords have to be cut to proper length, too.
I press fit the wood piece on and draped the material over the windshield before attaching the bungee cords. 3 cords at Ace are about $4.
All finished. Coincidentally the top matches the spare tire cover.
ka

Post by ka »

so it doesn't put too much force on the windshield to drive without those top struts? i'm wondering if it over-stresses anything at like 65 mpr.
1973 710m
"it is not in the best interest of the shepherd to breed smarter sheep." ~ author unknown

press any key to continue or any other key to quit. ~author confidential
pinzinator

Post by pinzinator »

You and Miles make a good point, so I got the struts out and installed them. I did have to push the windshield forward slightly to get the first one in place. I've owned this Pinz for 5 years and took always the top completely off every summer, including all the struts, and never had a problem, but with the addition of the new stretch top I could be pushing my luck. I don't need a windshield folding over at 55!
The struts in place, along with peace of mind.

OK, now here's a modification that's not affected by wind speed. I found this handy opener on EBay, and it fit perfectly into place with no drilling or filing. Maybe a Steyr part that was never listed? I made the windshield support from 1/8"X 1" aluminum stock, borrowing the idea from someone on this site.
David Dunn
United States of America

Post by David Dunn »

I was waiting for someone to comment on not having the support bars in. :wink:
The wind pressure against the windshield would only press to a point, and slowly distort the sheetmetal at the hinges. Off roading, or bumpy roads would vibrate the the frame to the point that sheetmetal would eventfully tear....( think of it as a post in the ground, and someone comes along and starts pushing and pulling on it, either the foundation loosens or the post begins to break). Those out there with the early side door windows ( with sharp corners) witness this from the sheetmetal tearing at the corners from the door tops vibrating.

Your windshield rest look very nice, but do you secure the front edge of the frame down? The original tiedowns are spring loaded and actually clamp around the frame, again, holding it rigid. I know on at least one person on this list that his windshield bounced out of the frame while it was down, and another one years ago that the windshield popped out while crossing a stream at speed and hit a submerged tree trunk.... the Pinz stopped, the windshield didn't. :roll: I've been asked 'how hard was it to remove a windshied?' I simply reached in though the door and pushed it out. :lol: :lol: ( For those older members, I don't use my forklift for everything :wink: :lol: ).

And on your openner... you knew those holes in bumper were to put a screwdriver through to remove the headlamp bezel?
The Trojan Horse... the 1st Pinz used to covertly carry troops into battle .

ATL Pinzgauer XM 718K TUM(HD) 6x6 FFR (aka The Green Grail)
krick3tt

customizing

Post by krick3tt »

...and now that I have the EI bumper, that I really like BTW, getting that bezel off is a real chore.
pinzinator

Post by pinzinator »

David, I use a simple rubber bungee cord to hold the windshield down. I run the cord behind the front hitch pin and then hook both ends onto the windshield frame. Never had a problem. The rubber stoppers on the support brackets keep everything from getting scratched.
I know about the holes in the bumper being intended for headlight work, but right now they're fulfilling a much more important function!
pinzinator

Post by pinzinator »

Here's my A/C (24 volt fan) and a cup holder. Both come in handy! I wired the fan into the map light switch, and made the mounting bracket out of the same aluminum used for the windshield brackets.
krick3tt

customizing

Post by krick3tt »

pinz mods

http://s400.photobucket.com/albums/pp88 ... MG3344.jpg

cup holders, PVC area drain covers velcro fixed to inspection cover

http://s400.photobucket.com/albums/pp88 ... MG3343.jpg

pinz AC, 24v computer fan and Elmo

http://s400.photobucket.com/albums/pp88 ... MG3348.jpg

new LED tail lights in place of stock reflectors, left side

http://s400.photobucket.com/albums/pp88 ... MG3350.jpg

new LED tail lights in place of stock reflectors, right side with
aux work light/back up light controlled by switch at console at locker
levers
pinzinator

Post by pinzinator »

I saw these on EBay last week and bought a pair. Not exactly a custom item, but I've only seen these knobs on Austrian Pinzgauers.
To make them fit I had to drill and tap the old hole to accomodate a 1.5X10 mm thread size.
I lower my windshield all the time, so these will get some use.
pinzinator

Post by pinzinator »

Here's how I installed an 'Emergency kit' on the back door. The bungee cord keeps the towels from unrolling, thereby preventing the Pinz from ever looking like it has a 100' white tail while going down the road.
The rack holding the plastic case came with the Pinzgauer, which is a radio truck.
The mud flap weight was made by a guy in Arizona. I made the flaps myself by cutting a blank flap that I bought at a truck supply house. I think I gave $20 for it, and it is much heavier than the factory part and was big enough to make 2. I had to buy new mounting bolts due to the increased thickness.
The fire extinguisher holder came from Fastenal.