How about a hardtop kit that's available in the US?

Build projects, things that guys have come up with to make a Pinz better (or worse?) and aftermarket add-ons.
texas pinzgauer

How about a hardtop kit that's available in the US?

Post by texas pinzgauer »

With all of the inquiries and interest in the item available in the UK, it sure looks like there's demand for such a kit here in the US.

How might we cost effectively accomplish that or is this another case of strong interest and good intentions but limited budgets and impossible logisitics issues that limit the commercialization of this good idea?

Thoughts?
Last edited by texas pinzgauer on Sat Jan 02, 2010 7:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Looking for next new (for me) toy
1974 712M - sold
1973 710M - sold

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id ... 3094951494
Thomas-E

Steel Cab-top

Post by Thomas-E »

Hi,

I found pictures of Phil Kalamaros' cab hard top kit several years ago. Phil had sold his last and I don't think that he wanted to build any more, (too much of a hassle??)

Anyway I printed out his pictures and took them with my truck to a local welder/fabricator to see if he would want to build a top and back similar to Phils'.

We made a few changes to the design...
I removed the angle that has the loops for the canvas straps, built a new piece to mount there and was attached to the 16 gauge metal forming the top.
Instead of one center support we installed two, spaced so that I could build a overhead console wide enough for my Alpine CD and changer.

All square tubing was 1" and all sheet metal was 16 Gauge, all welded together. I feel that this construction enhances the roll protection.

So... my suggestion is find a component fabricator and get a quote, I'm very satisfied and paid about $900 for all the metalwork. I found a pickup rear sliding at a glass store that no longer did auto glass and looked at the three that he still had. Took the one I wanted for $100.

I'll try to find the pix, not sure where I placed them, too busy on the slide on camper project.

You can see my finished cabtop on the Yahoo Pinzgauer group "photos section" under "Toms 712m" album 99.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/pinzgauer ... 1/pic/list

I went for a slide on camper that I can remove-> and still have my pickup for other loads, like three pallet loads of retaining wall blocks.

I spent some time at Mineral Wells back in the late 60's (Fort Walters),
and had fun going out to Possum Kingdom Reservoir! 8)
Thomas E.
Sonora, CA
712 Camper
[img][url]M:\avatar\DSCN0010%20(Custom).JPG[/url][/img]
Erik712m

Post by Erik712m »

Just buy two 710k and take there tops off. cut one in half cut the other at the end and weld them together. :D

And before it was a hardtop.

Image :lol:
texas pinzgauer

Andre Swanson and I have exchanged emails on this subject. It sounds like he has done this plenty of times in the past and has a couple of ways to fabricate these. Photos are supposed to be on the way.
1974 712M - sold
1973 710M - sold

Andre
United States of America

hard cab top pics.

Post by Andre »

Sorry I haven't gotten those pics out yet. They are all on my desktop and I cant find my flash drive to transfer them over. We can view and discuss any ideas when we get together in spring.
Fat Fabrications
2993 FM 1647
Winnsboro, TX. 75494
fatfabrications@yahoo.com
(903) 365-2332 shop
(951) 765-7224 mobile
Facebook.com/dokapinz6x6
Www.fatfabrications.com
Erik712m

Post by Erik712m »

If you're not trying to stay with the "factory look" Look at Tony's in AZ he sent me some pics back when I was trying to figure out mine. It Looks pretty cool. I just got lucky Scott had his Black Friday sale and Brian was nice enough to give me his rear section.
texas pinzgauer

If I was worried about keeping the "factory look", I wouldn't be driving a white 712 with yellow (for now) seats in back! :wink:
With Andre Swanson just up the road (3 or 4 hours) I'll probably just get with him and brainstorm with him about my options. I've seen what Brian has done with his own hardtop converted 712 and the results were VERY impressive.
1974 712M - sold
1973 710M - sold

Andre
United States of America

fabrication styles

Post by Andre »

I totaly agree with the brian masson method of fabrication. If it isn't done well enough to compliment the origonal builders, it shouldnt be done. all his work is stellar and pays homage to all the right pinz goods.
Fat Fabrications
2993 FM 1647
Winnsboro, TX. 75494
fatfabrications@yahoo.com
(903) 365-2332 shop
(951) 765-7224 mobile
Facebook.com/dokapinz6x6
Www.fatfabrications.com