Winches

Build projects, things that guys have come up with to make a Pinz better (or worse?) and aftermarket add-ons.
Kaweeka

Winches

Post by Kaweeka »

Who’s got them? What did you choose to install? What do you like about it and what's not so good? If you had to do it all over again would you buy something else or not bother with it? Thanks for sharing your mana'o! Aloha - David
pinzmeister-uk
Great Britain

Winches

Post by pinzmeister-uk »

I use a Ramsey REP 9000 this is the factory fitted winch on British army pinzgauers. It's not cheap, but if it's good enough for the military, it's good enough for me.!! :D :D
4x4Pinz
United States of America

Post by 4x4Pinz »

As I have six off road vehicles and go out with many people who don't have winches, I chose the Black Rat hand winch http://www.sierraexpeditions.com/index. ... tail&p=152
This will work whether the vehicle is running or has electrical power. It is also portable enough to take to any location needed even if it is not vehicle recovery, although it has been used many times to right up pinzgauers.
HOOPS PINZ

Post by HOOPS PINZ »

If your going with an electric winch then I would suggest a Warn 9000 24v. Warn are used by most off road people and are considered to be the best out there. I also have one of these on my Pinz.

Just look at all the off road competitions and you will see Warn on most of their trucks

I have used Ramsey and a couple of other makes, but would not buy any of them again. I have been off roading and green laning for 30 years so I have used a few in my time. My last 4 winches have all been Warns.

One of the best is the XP 9500 which I have had 2 of but it only comes in 12v unless they have changed the spec since last year its one of the best and quickest out there.

Steve
edzz
United States of America

Post by edzz »

Have Superwinch EP9.0 24v mounted on Expedition Imports Bumper. This combo adds a lot of weight to the front of my 710k (your signature has no indication what model you have) on a 712 this would not be an issue, on a 710 rear ballast maybe a good idea. Haven’t used enough to voice a definitive opinion as to long term durability, so far am pleased with the set-up. The only shortcoming I’ve noticed so far has been the poor quality of chrome plating on the cross bars above the cable spool. :( My solution was to remove them powder coat and replace. 8)

Ed
Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.
man on the mule

Post by man on the mule »

I know that this will probably stir up a shoot storm but... I have a Warn 9.0RC on my 710. After really doing a lot of searching on a bunch of 4x4 sites I found a bunch of guys that ran 24 volts through their 12 volt winches. I am the original "old school" and have ran numerous 6 volt starter motors off of 12 volt systems . A risk I thought ,but better than dedicateing a $1000 winch to only one vehicle . Well after a couple years and several recoverys I will say it works great for the 9.0RC made by Warn. The winch does not heat any more than with 12 volt use and runs considerably faster. I love the 9.0RC for another reason, it only weighs 54 pounds (minus mount ) and comes with a synthetic rope that is soooo much nicer to work with. The winch has a semi quick disconect (2 bolts) and searves other trucks that I own as well (they are 12 volt ) I have had great luck with this set up.Try it if you like.
man on the mule. keep it real.
Erik712m

Post by Erik712m »

man on the mule wrote:I know that this will probably stir up a shoot storm but... I have a Warn 9.0RC on my 710. After really doing a lot of searching on a bunch of 4x4 sites I found a bunch of guys that ran 24 volts through their 12 volt winches. I am the original "old school" and have ran numerous 6 volt starter motors off of 12 volt systems . A risk I thought ,but better than dedicateing a $1000 winch to only one vehicle . Well after a couple years and several recoverys I will say it works great for the 9.0RC made by Warn. The winch does not heat any more than with 12 volt use and runs considerably faster. I love the 9.0RC for another reason, it only weighs 54 pounds (minus mount ) and comes with a synthetic rope that is soooo much nicer to work with. The winch has a semi quick disconect (2 bolts) and searves other trucks that I own as well (they are 12 volt ) I have had great luck with this set up.Try it if you like.
Wish you would have done this. http://www.warn.com/powerplant.shtml :lol: And reported the same thing.
Oberon

Post by Oberon »

I run a Mile Marker SE9500C which is a 24v. The rule of thumb is usually go 1.5 times the weight of your vehicle for a winch. As far as cable vs. synthetic I couldn't tell you. I've only used cable. The 9500C (which has been replaced by the SEC 9.5) Has 100 ft of cable, I would recommend at least this much, due to the fact that you sometimes don't have anything in front of you to hook the winch up to and you will need to run the cable through a couple of snatch blocks to get a good pull. Here in Michigan, the trails and mud can get pretty deep. The Mile Marker has passed every test that I've put it through with flying colors. It was also a couple of hundred dollars cheaper that the comparable Warn. Also, the 9500c has the control box off towards the passenger side which I thought would be better as far as airflow restriction into the engine compartment. Just make sure that your batteries are up to the task. I run two Optima Yellow tops with no problem.