After market heaters

Build projects, things that guys have come up with to make a Pinz better (or worse?) and aftermarket add-ons.
Pols497
United States of America

After market heaters

Post by Pols497 »

Anyone know of an after market gas heater the would work well in the Pinzgauers and about how much they cost and how hard are they to install.
Roger Melton
totaljoint

Post by totaljoint »

I bought a Webasto 3500 from Dennis at Linden Engineering, and Jim Laguardia was kind enough to put it in. $2200 for the heater, $455 for the install.
It was a fair piece of coin, but it will run for hours with the engine off and will turn the truck into a sauna if I want. Since we dive in the puget sound and lakes all year round, duck hunt, and the dogs swim as well, I wanted the truck to stay warm and ready for our recovery while we're doing such things.

There are a few issues (it turns itself off at odd times, and some tempermental things), but overall I'm very happy with the Webasto.
krick3tt

heaters

Post by krick3tt »

I had a Webasto installed and it has worked twice. Would not recommend them, and they really cost serious bucks.
Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him:
better take a closer look at the American Indian.---Henry Ford
Profpinz
Australia

Post by Profpinz »

Would not recommend them, and they really cost serious bucks.
"One mans meat is another mans poison"
I have a Webasto 3500 and I love it ..... (not in this weather though :wink: ....it's going to be over 100 F this week)

I had some trouble in the early days but that was due to the exhaust setup and a few "teething problems", but now it works perfectly.

I've always had Eberspacher's in the Haffy's but got a better deal on the Webasto so opted for that for the Pinny.

Both manufacturers make excellent products in my opinion, and I'd hate to have to live on the difference between them, so if it was simply between these makes, I'd suggest it's going to come down to the purchase deal you can get.
Peter

1974, 712 6X6 Pinzgauer
1983, 710-1.6 4X4 Pinzgauer
1997, 718 6X6 Pinzgauer (in pieces)
1971, 700 Haflinger
1974, 703 LWB Haflinger
2001, Range Rover

http://www.ozpinz.com
krick3tt

webasto heater

Post by krick3tt »

Peter,

I like your phrase "teething problems" , seems almost all my problems with the pinz might be labled like that. It may be something as 'simple' as the fuel delivery... as it does turn on, but blows cold air, no heat. Then turns off.
When I can get the time I will get it back to my installer and try to have them trace it out.

Wishing you good times in this new year.

Morris
Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him:
Pols497
United States of America

heaters

Post by Pols497 »

thanks guys. Probably not feasible for me considering our weather here in Oklahoma. In a pinch I'll use my Lil Buddy propane. Thanks
Roger Melton
totaljoint

Post by totaljoint »

I like the little buddy idea, and probably would have gone that way, had I thought of it.
However, be careful of cargo/pets or passenger's clothing getting too close to the unit. We just had an episode of a neighbor who died when his nylon jacket ignited brushing to close to the burner of one. I could see such an event with unsecured items moving around in the back of a Pinz., with a little buddy turned on.
grayroad

heater

Post by grayroad »

I bought a Webasto 3500 from Dennis and installed it myself with some tips from Dennis over the phone. I love it. It takes a few minutes to heat up the 712 when it is really cold but you can make it a sauna if you want. It makes the Pinz usable in really cold weather. I was out and about yesterday in single digit (F) weather. Only problems are minor. If you really need a heater, it is the way to go.
totaljoint

Post by totaljoint »

Took the 712 up into the Cascades yesterday to the Ice Caves. Ran the Webasto continuously 1 1/2 hours up , 1 1/2 hours down for a total of about 4 hours (including gas and snack stops and side excusions). No problems with the heater, even had the rear passengers request to turn the heat down. It was about 45 degrees in the lowlands and 36 in the mountains and 78 in the Pinz. even at 56 mph.
Scooter

Post by Scooter »

I bought a Webasto from Dennis and installed it myself with some tips from Dennis over the phone and some pictures. He even helped me with the fuel tank. Had to add a 24-12V converter, which now allows me to run regualr car accessories.

Only time I have issues is when I do not run it for a few weeks. All it takes is a second try and it starts up. Fuel just needs to get to the heater to start it. Plenty of heat for my 710M for Wisconsin winters.

Scott
grayroad

after market heater

Post by grayroad »

Fuel in the pick-up line is only an issue when I don't use the heater for an extended period. I try to fire it up once a month or so in the summer so it never gets empty. It's never an issue in the winter.

That reminds me. For my install I just used the second opening in the top of the tank...I think its for an auxiliary tank...and just used the plastic tubing as a pick-up. It fit right down with no modifications of the tank...didn't use the supplied Webasto pick-up.
Jerbearyukon

pinz heater

Post by Jerbearyukon »

I got the 3500 webasto installed by Dennis Williams too. It's awesome - I drive it at minus 35 and I couldn't do it without the webasto.

yukon winters are pretty cold

jer Bear
krick3tt

after market heater

Post by krick3tt »

Peter, et al

Two great things happened today. I changed my oil (used 10-30 this time) and the Webasto is working. Peter mentioned 'teething problems' that must be it.
Not sure what I did but it is somewhere in the cosmic 'petrol/electricity' thing. Turned it on while I had the dog house off and just played with it. It went on but no heat then shut off. Just like before, but I turned it back on after a few and it began to put out heat. I could hear the elect fuel pump working, just clicking away and it started creating heat. Must be magic.
This is going to be so great when I take that trip to the mountains next month...real heat.

Cheers
roadrash

Post by roadrash »

Following along here.... Just fiddled with the heater in the 710 (the yellow-white one), not sure what else to call it other than its nickname "The Ark" but I'm sure saying yellow-white you guys know it... :-)

First attempt didnt yield anything no noise, no fan, nothing. took cover off, opened up small in-line fuse to check... nothing wrong there but something might have been moved because the second attempt at least resulted in the blower fan coming on.

The light on the dash is somewhat confussing as well, first pull out possition is high fan, second you can hear the fan spin slower but the yellow light illuminates when pulled to full out possition. (dash, not the plunger on the side of the heater).

Will keep you posted if I learn how to start it up.
kpoling
United States of America

Stock gas heater in 710K

Post by kpoling »

I finally fiddled with my stock gas heater. I first got my big fire extinguisher, then re-installed the in line fuse (under the metal cover). I set the switch to the first setting & let the blower run for a couple of minutes. Then I pulled it out to the second setting, heard a slight change in noise, a fuel pump I think, went into the back & the damn thing was working! :shock:

I do not know how long it has been since it had been operated, but it sure worked well. I had no smoke or odd noises. Let it run for about 5 minutes, then turned off to first setting & let it cool down.

Regards, Kevin
Regards, Kevin

'73 710K sold 01/22/2016