Sprinter seat installation with photos

Build projects, things that guys have come up with to make a Pinz better (or worse?) and aftermarket add-ons.
texas pinzgauer

Sprinter seat installation with photos

Post by texas pinzgauer »

In the past, I have asked forum members for suggestions and recommendations on aftermarket seats to replace the stock front units in my 712. After going to the local "Pick A Part" and several other similar do it yourself yards I was discouraged as nearly every car there looked like someone had either been living in it or someone had been shot and killed in there! I couldn't get out of there fast enough!!! Seeking a more expeditious and "nicer" solution, Paul Colette suggested that Sprinter (Mercedes, Dodge, Freightliner) seats would/should work.

I found a set on eBay for a ridiculously low price (under $60 each) so I pulled the trigger on those. Stan Dietzman sold me a set of old beat up seats/frames and so I was ready to begin the project.

I believe that the photos should speak for themselves. Basically we cut off the backs of the frames and anything else that seemed unnecessary for this project. A buddy who likes to weld (everyone needs a buddy like that if you don't have one!) crafted some tabs or flanges to line up with the two tabs that hang below the bottom of the Sprinter seats. The biggest challenge was finding the right hardware to connect the frames to the seats but bringing the seat into the hardware store expedited that process. By the way, the driver's side seat remains adjustable fore and aft.

I know that many other seats will work but for my money and effort, the Sprinter seats are the way to go.

Feel free to drop me a line if you have any questions about what we did or if you'd like to see photos of any details not capured in these photos.

Looking for next new (for me) toy
1974 712M - sold
1973 710M - sold

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id ... 3094951494
chacaocop1

Post by chacaocop1 »

Wow, I am stopping at your house to see those at close range.... They look very cool.
CHACAOCOP
1973 712M
texas pinzgauer

Just give me a heads up when you're in the neighborhood Carlos!

David
1974 712M - sold
1973 710M - sold

buzzz

Post by buzzz »

Wow! Great looking seats David.
cheers Buzz
pcolette
United States of America

Post by pcolette »

Very nice installation!

Did you use the 2 bolts that were part of the Sprinter seats or just let them be?

The seats I got on eBay look the same except they have gray suede inserts. All vinyl might be best.

Paul C.
Paul C.
_________
'73 Swiss 710M
'89 Puch 230GE
edzz
United States of America

Post by edzz »

Looks very good, any gain in head room?

Ed
Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.
Scooter

Post by Scooter »

looks great, nice job and good pics. I will have to look into those seats too.

Scooter
texas pinzgauer

Paul - I saw those two threaded "posts" in the bottom of the Sprinter seats but we didn't do anything with them. We just used the two wide V shaped flanges coming off the bottom.

Edzz - The bottom seat cushion is just a bit taller but not by much. I'm 6' and I still have a little bit of clearance between me and the padded headrest. For any upcoming serious off-roading, I'm sure I'll cinch up my seatbell to avoid contact. Even before these seats, I was thinking about putting in a slightly smaller diameter steering wheel and still might if I can find one. That would provide just a little bit more clearance between me and the wheel. It works fine as is.

BTW - these Sprinter seats can be adjusted for rake. I wouldn't catagorize it as having rhe ability to recline but you can play with the seating position to suit your own preference.
1974 712M - sold
1973 710M - sold

bassman2

Post by bassman2 »

I bought the same seats off ebay - and will be attempting my install soon!

Thanks for the pix!!
Scooter

Post by Scooter »

I have been looking on E-bay for seats, but not much luck. What kind of price range are they going for?
pcolette
United States of America

Post by pcolette »

Scooter,
Sometimes they are listed as Freightliner seats.
Here's some on ebay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Freightl ... 671wt_1101

If you're interested I still have a set of the seats for sale that I found on ebay. In case you missed it here's a link to the thread:
http://real4x4forums.com/PinzgauerBBS/v ... php?t=5140

Paul C
Paul C.
_________
'73 Swiss 710M
'89 Puch 230GE
texas pinzgauer

I'm still shocked that these seats go for as little as they do on eBay. Retail, they must be $400/each easy.

Elkhart, Indiana is ground zero for the RV business. These seats ae pretty comfortable so I would be curious what they replace them with that would be considered "better".
1974 712M - sold
1973 710M - sold