ESPAR Swingfire

Build projects, things that guys have come up with to make a Pinz better (or worse?) and aftermarket add-ons.
chacaocop1

ESPAR Swingfire

Post by chacaocop1 »

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Swingfir ... ccessories

Hello guys:

I have been looking for a while for a heater system for my Pinz. As of now, new gasoline systems only work with 12V and the new systems that work on 24 Volts are diesel fired.

I don't want to add another source for 12V if I can find a system that works on 24V.

Here in the forum I have kept an eyefull watch and no eberspacher BN1 for sale had come up, except for one system who sold in less than 12 minutes.

Dennis offered once a diesel fired one with an extra tank for Diesel but I really want to fill only one tank.

Finnally I found on eBay an Espar Swingfire 24V listed above.

My questions are:

Has anyone installed one of these?

If so, how difficult is it?

Does it fit where the eberspacher is supposed to be?

Any advice on this matter is appreciatted.

Thanks.
CHACAOCOP
1973 712M
Picasso

Post by Picasso »

You cant "install" that one. Its more of an on the ground tent heater. Some old larger german trucks I've seen them mounted on. But not much options for the pinz.

That heater is on the large size near 3' long and loud. It will not fit any of the norm heater locations. But you can find other attachments for it such as a water heater and ice melter. It's not bad bang for the buck. I've got one and take it to burning man and have used it to heat a tent. But the size and noise just dont make it fun.
Last edited by Picasso on Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2X 712AMB Oakland, CA
chacaocop1

Post by chacaocop1 »

http://real4x4forums.com/PinzgauerBBS/v ... =swingfire

Hello Picasso:

If you see the link above someone has "installed" it in his Pinz. How practical it is, I don't really know and I appreciatte your input on the matter since I had no clue about the heater unit at all.

Your observations match the experience of the person who did it already. Loud, too much heat and he had to install it in the back of his Pinz.

I will put the purchase on hold for now and continue to look for any BN1 for sale around.

Thanks once again.
CHACAOCOP
1973 712M
Erik712m

Post by Erik712m »

There big! Saw one in the back of a mog radio truck seems like it took up a lot of space.

Jim L. not selling the old espar heaters any more?
chacaocop1

Post by chacaocop1 »

I was not aware Jim sold them. I will call him tomorrow.
CHACAOCOP
1973 712M