Cutting in a driver side passenger door

Build projects, things that guys have come up with to make a Pinz better (or worse?) and aftermarket add-ons.
Erik712m

Cutting in a driver side passenger door

Post by Erik712m »

So any one in the know is this a bad idea? I was emailed about a wrecked 710k that I could get the parts off for a fee.
Picasso

hmm

Post by Picasso »

I'm going to just remove my rear AMB box doors and extend the rear a bit and do a side door. Not big on doing a major cut on the body like that unless I had spare to do the work on.

But it has been temping me. It would fix allot of layout trouble. But a door at the rear side works for me just as well and the changes are minor.
2X 712AMB Oakland, CA
chacaocop1

Post by chacaocop1 »

Does the 710K has a working heater?

What about the roof?
CHACAOCOP
1973 712M
Andre
United States of America

its been done.

Post by Andre »

It has been done and with skill and quality finish. I am tempted to do it myself on my truck. I just want to have a K available to look at while I did the work to match as close to factory as possible.

If you want it done, get the k donor, and we'll do 2 at the same time.
Fat Fabrications
2993 FM 1647
Winnsboro, TX. 75494
fatfabrications@yahoo.com
(903) 365-2332 shop
(951) 765-7224 mobile
Facebook.com/dokapinz6x6
Www.fatfabrications.com
undysworld
Norway

Post by undysworld »

Eric,

Email Scott Ingham and ask him. They make/made their 710S version which includes extra rear doors. He sent me several pix of their conversions. When I looked at them, it seemed like the most challenging bit would be to fab up the box tube which runs along the top of the footwell. It needs to drop down where the door is cut in.

Anyway, it seemed like a desireable modification to me too.

Paul U
David Dunn
United States of America

Post by David Dunn »

Like the Pink Cow, the "S" are no more than topless K's ( other than it being a 716 with a lot of additional things to deal with).
I had originally thought to make the Pink Cow into a M by boxing in the footwells and making them into toolboxes ( I've seen examples of this on 718 Ambs, based on a K platform). There were many other issues that prevented me from following that avenue.
Adding footwell area to a M may require extra structural supports added, as you are now adding a natural lateral "fold" point to the platform, since you're removing the structural strength of the sheetmetal folds of the M.
The Trojan Horse... the 1st Pinz used to covertly carry troops into battle .

ATL Pinzgauer XM 718K TUM(HD) 6x6 FFR (aka The Green Grail)