Carpet Kit

Build projects, things that guys have come up with to make a Pinz better (or worse?) and aftermarket add-ons.
McCall Pinz
Switzerland

Carpet Kit

Post by McCall Pinz »

As part of an ongoing effort to cut the noise in the truck, I made a carpet kit for the cab area. I can hear it now- Why would anyone want carpet in their Pinz? :shock:
Well,
1. I found some carpet that is an exact color match
2. The winters are long here
3. To hide the Dynamat sound dampening material
4. The winters are long here
I've been thinking of adding some dynamat/acoustimat/dampening material, but didn't want to see the shiny aluminum finish. When I ran across some olive green carpet that is on a rubber backing I decided to give it a try. Since the carpet is on rubber it can still be hosed out and this would hide any soundproofing materials. The dynamat dampens the metal vibration and deadens the rattles while the carpet will absorb reverberating sound. The dynamat was added to the surfaces under the seats, inside the tunnel, and on the firewall. In the future, I'll add some to the front by the headlights because there's still a rattle that needs to be isolated. Most of the carpeted areas were pretty easy to create a pattern out of newspaper and then trace onto the carpet and cut out. The area around the tunnel and footwell took some time to piece together. You can see some of the foamcore trial and error. Where the carpet needed some backing, I switched the foamcore for plastic sign board (like for campaign signs) so that it would be waterproof too. The carpet is held in place with some velcro stickers.
I don't have a lot of miles on it, but it really does reduce the noise level in the cab. The biggest difference I think comes from the dynamat on the tunnel and the firewall, but the whole truck sounds more solid over bumps and rattles. We'll see how it holds up.

I've never had any luck posting images- so here's the link
http://picasaweb.google.com/wayndar/Pin ... directlink
krick3tt

carpet kit

Post by krick3tt »

Nice work.

I used something similar to the DynaMat. I went to a roofing company and got some valley flashing. It is alum color and asphaltic adhesive on the other side. It was peel and stick. Where I did not want to see the shiny stuff I just spray painted it OD.

Had not thought of carpet mostly cause I could not find the OD color only black, brown, green, etc. with any backing like you used.

Really would like to replace the foam inside the tunnel. It is really flaking and just disintegrates when touched. Not sure what to use there.

Morris
Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him:
better take a closer look at the American Indian.---Henry Ford
McCall Pinz
Switzerland

Post by McCall Pinz »

Hi Morris,
I remember your metal flashing material and was going to do the same thing. Unfortunately I wasn't able to find any of that metal so I ended up buying the dynamat from a car audio shop.

Edit- it took a lot of scraping to get that old foam out of the tunnel, but it was worth it. Luckily there wasn't any rust in there. I need to pull the front grille and work at it from that end still.
totaljoint

Post by totaljoint »

There' supposed to be foam in the tunnel?
Since that's a direct route to a high speed plastic fan, does one need any extra adhesive/rivets/screws to attach insulation to the inside of the tunnel to prevent debris?
McCall Pinz
Switzerland

Post by McCall Pinz »

The foam in the tunnel is original, but most people scrape it out pretty quickly because it holds water and starts rusting. I noticed there are tabs in the tunnel that might be used for some type of rigid insulation board, or duct liner, but I've never seen that so it's just a theory.
Heed

Post by Heed »

McCall Pinz,

Very professional-looking job!

Do you have a source for the carpet, or a manufacturer name?

I have never seen OD carpet before!
Bob
1990 - Mercedes G-Wagon 250GD

A goal without a plan is just a wish!
McCall Pinz
Switzerland

Post by McCall Pinz »

Thanks. I picked up the carpeting at Lowe's in the floor mat area, but I don't remember the brand. It looked brown in the store, but turned OD once it was in real light! The rugs are about 30" x 60" and laid out so that I could keep the bound edge along the door side and down by the feet and tuck the cut edge under the engine cover and along the back. If I have some money laying around some day I'll have the exposed edges bound.

I also just added a picture looking into the tunnel
texas pinzgauer

Post by texas pinzgauer »

My 712 actually came with carpet (front and rear) and I still have those two pieces. I've thought about using them as templates for others who want to use it for that purpose.

I took it out as I was concerned that I wouldn't see puddles if I had any leaks after our frequent heavy rain storms.
Looking for next new (for me) toy
1974 712M - sold
1973 710M - sold

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id ... 3094951494
Scooter

Post by Scooter »

Carpet looks great. Nice plan with the templates. I need to do some major work on mine for next winter in Wisconsin if I still can drive it on the road......
yaknowthatguy
United States of America

Post by yaknowthatguy »

hey guys -

I know it's been a while since this thread was active, but I came across it and wanted to recommend a product.

There are two that may be helpful, both from a website called www.b-quiet.com. Here's the install I did on my F350: http://www.b-quiet.com/f350.html

I used two rolls of Brown Bread, which is much like Dynamat but cheaper. I then used their LComp forward of the pedals and on the firewall, makes a big difference - sadly unavailable right now due to world demand for lead (who'd have thought?). I didn't have an SPL meter at the time, but my ninja calibrated ear tells me I have probably reduced noise by somewhere between 5 and 7dB.

I'd bet that you could get something going with these products on the pinz. They have another product that can go under the hood, so it may be applicable to our engine covers and the tunnel but I dont have any personal experience with it (called Hliner). The Brown Bread (or whatever they are using in its place) is a one-time application - meaning dont think you're taking it back off ever again. it's a sticky asphaltic type material with a foil backer, so once it goes on it's not coming off, and it's messy to work with if you aren't careful. The LComp and VComp materials are not sticky, and dampen sound well, but they are thick so take up a lot of space. Tradeoffs to be sure. With the way our seat frames sit on the deck, I'm really not sure what the best way to handle this would be.

I'm looking at doing some noise reduction stuff myself, and throwing in carpet too. So many projects to do...
712 amb. under construction.
McCall Pinz
Switzerland

Post by McCall Pinz »

I wish I could have covered everything like your f350. The little I did made a difference at low speeds- its much less "tinny" around town. The gear whine is still too much at speed though. Next step is to cover the rear floor with stall rubber to see if that can be blocked a bit.
krick3tt

carpet kit

Post by krick3tt »

I used stuff just like that in my pinz and Mog. Gutter flashing, aluminum on one side and sticky on the other...permanent. 12 inch wide by 50 feet long for $35.00, cuts with mat knife and molds well to dips and bumps if warm. Couldn't even use the whole roll.
Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him:
better take a closer look at the American Indian.---Henry Ford
audiocontr
United States of America

Post by audiocontr »

McCall Pinz wrote:I wish I could have covered everything like your f350. The little I did made a difference at low speeds- its much less "tinny" around town. The gear whine is still too much at speed though. Next step is to cover the rear floor with stall rubber to see if that can be blocked a bit.
I have stall rubber on mine. Makes a little difference but you run the risk of rusting out the access panel. I covered that section with 80 weight gear oil :twisted:

Sure it drips but it should help hold back trapped water on the panel
yaknowthatguy
United States of America

tunnel noise

Post by yaknowthatguy »

anyone looked at Tigerfoam or something similar for noise dampening in the tunnel? It's rated for limited flame spread, but I'm not sure how it tolerates radiant heat exposure. anybody?
712 amb. under construction.